2.80 almost ready what will Blender 2.81 bring?

The USD branch I’m working on now is getting a lot of attention, not
only from private individuals but also from companies like AMD, Apple,
Digital Negative, and RodeoFX. I think it might be possible to merge my
branch to master for 2.81. Even though the initial goal was to have
something working before SIGGRAPH

Apple ??? intersted in blender and USD?

*Rodeo FX: is a visual effects company specializing in projects in the film, television and advertising industry.

maybe this one ? **DNEG formerly known as Double Negative is a British motion picture visual effects and computer animation and stereo conversion company that was founded in 1998 in London.

2 Likes

I’d love to add Bezier Curve CAD Tools to this:

2 Likes

I also hope that Animaide will be part of the default addons:

3 Likes

I also hope the announced NVIDIA OptiX support will soon be part of the daily Master builds.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like AMD have any plans for hardware ray tracing with cycles . They just added it to their own renderer and that is all …

Uhh… AMD doesn’t support hardware raytracing on their own GPUs. Were you expecting AMD to help integrating Nvidia hardware support into Cycles or something?

They do it’s part of their own renderer. It was from on one of the Twittes from SIGGRAPH…
There is also this link

No, that’s software raytracing, using shading hardware. AMD cards have no dedicated raytracing silicon.

Would be cool when documentation and source code getting closer together.

It s very hard to find and and finally to get an understanding what happens in Blender source for most of the implementations when you are not a full time blender dev.

An nice example is the documentation from Filament
https://google.github.io/filament/Filament.md.html
Sure this is probably little overdone but i explains everthing on every layer.
Combination from pictures, formulas, methods, source code, references deliver information for every need and depth.

Probably an light conection from documentation and source code and a light technical explanation from cycles and eevee … would be a good start.
It would be much easier to constribute.
Easier to fix.
Easier to understand.
Easier to optimize… and soon
and
improves your result because you know what happen and why.)

1 Like

I wonder if this patch will get in ?
it solves a big problem for people exporting animation for game engines

From the latest developer notes:

That’s just under three weeks, so it will be interesting to see if UDIM makes it in. I seem to recall Brecht or Lukas saying that there was a patch for improved baking workflow that I also really hopes makes it in.

Smaller things I would love to see are adding to quick favourites and shortcuts from the operator search (apparently more work than it sounds) and hopefully something can be done about the redo panel being stuck in the bottom left corner instead of appearing near the cursor or being moveable.

Presumably performance, workflow, UI and other smaller changes will continue to go in for a while after September 13th.

1 Like

do you have any reference to the baking improvement patch?

i really hope the optix cycles integration will be integrated to cycles bake. Soo much more performance.

Yep, it’s this one: https://developer.blender.org/D3203

Checking the comments, it seems that Lukas is keen to get it in, and recently rebased to Blender 2.80 in July, so hopefully it shouldn’t be too different from current master and someone can merge it. There seems o be some doubt over the current UI, although most of the comments seem positive.