2.91 Keeps crashing on every file I work on

I have been using the new release for 2.91 for a few days. 2.9 sometimes crashed, but 2.91 is crashing 20-30 times a day.

One file I’m working on has 1 area light, and an HDRI. And only a couple simplistic objects in it. Every time I try to render in Evee or Cycles it was rendering. I added one more area light, and it crashes when I try to render one frame in Evee or Cycles it crashes. I tried different types of lights, same thing. It also crashed when I adjusted a slider on a texture node, and numerous other times that I wasn’t doing anything that in the past would have crashed it.

Is there a way to report these glitches to the programmers? Any ideas how to get it to be more stable? Am I the only one this is happening to?

1 Like

Yeah 2.91 has been crashy for me too. I’ve mostly just gone back to using 2.90.1

Agreed. Sometimes it crashes when opening a just created file. It is almost useless.

It has been stable for me. What kind of video card do you have ? I would think listing it here would help - like all of your hardware and your OS version. I have win 10 with a 1070 graphics and its been stable. Stuff like knife projection and one frame rendering has been stable.
(update Jan 27 2021 I just Checked I am running 2.90 Sorry.)

Hasn’t crashed for me once … using an RTX 3090, Windows 10…

Unfortunately, it’s the most crashing release I’ve ever worked with. Sometimes it’s crashing even when changing perspective to ortho, changing mode or even pan the view.
Tbh. Since “the big release” of 2.8 it became very unstable for me. Even 2.80 was crashing when I was switching between “UV Sync Selection”. Still remember good old times of 2.79b wich was solid like a stone with most heavy scenes :frowning:

I hope that instead of pumping new features at least one release is gonna be dedicated to bug-fixes.

Intel i5; msi 1060Ti, 16gigs of DDR3

My apologies I am actually running 2.90 and it has been stable for me. I have the install on a external ssd and I copied my config folder from my last install so I would not have to re-configure the addons and that worked. I run that portable zip version. I save my files often because at times it does crash but It is normally when I have 3 sessions of blender opened at once.

Same for me. 2.91 keeps crashing. Mostly when changing the view port from perspective to orthographic. I tried to do a smoke simulation the other day and did not work and crashed.
I have updated graphics driver. My PC i7-7700k, 32GB and gtx 1080 with updated windows 10.
Last stable version is 2.83. I am trying to go back to 2.83.12

Yes, yes. Now I’m back to 2.83.12 and since then absolutely zero crashes. Of course as you I’m up to date with every possible drivers and I’m more than sure that it’s something bad on blender side.
For some time 2.83.12 is gonna be my base version as I have some important projects to finish.
I hope they will fix all those issues cause this kind of buggs are quite essential or even fundamental for working with blender.

Same for me. 2.91 and 2.92 keeps crashing. 2.90 works just fine.
Its being a while this is happening. 2.92 final did not solved this issue.

In my case, it’s been 2.91.2 which turned out to be very buggy as well.

I posted about it here though I failed to mention it was 2.91.2 as I assumed the problem was some add-ons. But even with a clean install of Blender and without all the add-ons I used before, a simple click on a mesh could trigger the crash.

I tried 2.92 before the final release and, apparently, things went smooth.

2.91.2 is extremely buggy on my machine, crashes 10-20 times a day at least. Right at this moment, it’s only 8:30am and I have had it crash at least 4 times already… Getting ready to revert to an older version. At first I thought it was e-cycles that was buggy, but it doesn’t matter if I use regular blender, same thing. I have all updated drivers, windows 10, running on dual 2070 supers. AMD 2920X threadripper CPU and 32 GB ram.

I hear you. 2.8314 and 2.92 (even with its problems) are the most stable. I’ve never seen 2.93 because it simply won’t open and with no indication of what’s wrong.