3D Animation 'roughs' on my character Dorothy

¡Hello, Blenderfolks!

So, I’m a former 2D Animator; last year (2022) I’ve spent so much time trying to learn good Organic Rigging in Blender, I barely touched anything regarding the 3D Animation Technique —although I did get familiar with Posing, and started to get some insight into some of 3D Animation concepts inside Blender.

So, let’s see how fast those “3D Animation Roughs” will evolve. Hope you enjoy.

A very shy attempt on minimal motions

Getting jumpy with the Camera also

Same but with Frame Rate of 12 fps (Custom) if I’m not wrong

Ironically, meme: ‘me struggling with 3D Animation Technique’

Attempting some more slow-paced motion, like interacting… although still too fast I guess, controlling the Rig in synchrony in so many ways was getting to the point.

3 Likes

Rave mood.

In this rough, I finally was able to translate the 2D Traditional Animation Workflow into 3D Animation in Blender, as a personal proof of concept. Basically, (except for the Camera Motions and a few mistakes on suppressing the Interpolation on certain Key Framed Bones), I’ve set everything to ‘still’ Frames without Automatic Interpolation (so, Interpolation Mode: Constant); additionally to such input, I’ve also had made slightly operational the Onion Skin Addon (the free version), a feature that is endemic to the 2D Animation universe btw. None of those features are enabled by default in Blender, so this probably makes 3D Animation a lot more confusing than it needed to be.

1 Like

sw33t, I’m a total noob and love to see people who are enough advanced for me to learn from and not too advanced to spook me away from the infinite complexity of this trade

1 Like

¡Thank you! I think 3D Animation is really fascinating —even though I’m kinda new to it as well.

It is true that, more detailed 3D Posing can be quite time consuming (not a problem if we learn just a bit how to cope with this sluggerish aspect of the technique), but the ‘main’ 3D Posing (without details) can actually be achieved pretty fast, and this is highly beneficial to certain flash-paced Animation Workflows; furthermore, in my opinion there are wild possibilities in making substantial and experimental changes to the Posing, Spacing and Timing in a relatively easy way, and this also seems pretty attractive.

I would like to see your Animations at some point.

1 Like

I’m blown away by the new wave of democratized cool tech… Got to be interested in blender after a long time of not trusting myself I can go on and commit to some vastly deep self-tutoring journey.
Stable Diffusion got me interested in creating visually, then I figured I can probably learn to create (3d) characters and make reuse of them. Then I discovered blender and Omniverse. Now I am overflooded with interest and spend my spare time with many opened unfinished tabs. I gotta focus down :smiley:

1 Like

Why are her eyes closed?

1 Like

Hello; and sorry for the delayed answer (I was travelling abroad without proper internet access).

I didn’t know about those softwares/platforms. Looks like you’ve came a very peculiar way until you’ve found Blender. The deep intrigue is what makes the artist I guess; usually we know ‘by the guts’ when something is unmissable. In the case of artistic-technical learning, I understand it is often extremely valuable that one studies directly on subjects which are of the highest interest, which are deeply engaging (in your case, it might be 3D Characters indeed) even if that would be mean ‘jumping fundamental steps’ (these fundamentals can always be learned retroactively at some point). Good luck on your exploration and feel free to share some creation and artwork at some point.

Hey; also, sorry about the delay.

Unfortunately, when I’ve started to make these animation roughs, I was also in the process of remaking the whole Facial Rig for the character; so I just deleted the old Facial Rig (for most features of the Eyes Region), and until now wasn’t able to substitute it by the new system (for which I’m still video editing and uploading a tutorial about btw).
But now that I have more time, I’ll be able to update the Eyes Rig on this character and this will be cool because it will allow to also animate Facial Expressions (at least for the Eyes Region).