3D Castle Set Extension

Hello everyone,

I’ve been a blender user for quite some time now but never got around to really finish something and post it anywhere. This 3d set extension was created for an exam in my studies a few months back but as I made it almost entirely with blender I thought I might post it here too. Hope you like it.

You can find more of my stuff on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/jasperschubert

I also wrote an article about the creation process on Blendernation: https://www.blendernation.com/2019/11/20/behind-the-scenes-3d-castle-set-extension/

57 Likes

Very nice work. Did you do the camera tracking and compositing in Blender?

Your castle appears slightly on the dark side to me. Compare the tower rooftops, tops of walls, and wall surfaces with the cliffs in the background. I think you can afford to err on the side of too much ambient lighting to show off all that detail work, which is lost except for the brief moments in the beginning of the animation when the more lighted parts face the camera.

2 Likes

Thank you! The tracking was done in meshroom, which had the advantage that I also got a decent scan along with it to help integrating the castle onto the rock.

I had prepared the castle assets previously for a personal project where the camera wouldn’t be at such a far distance, indeed a lot of detail is lost here. Regarding the lighting, I really wanted to get more contrast into the shot to push out the silhouette.

I’ve only seen a video of using meshroom to obtain a scan from multiple photos, but haven’t seen it in action for camera tracking from a video, which I assume requires another plugin or something. If you got all that from that one video, then the result is excellent. I’ve done some camera tracking in Blender and there were always some problems with ‘slippage’ between model and video. Here’s an example. Keep an eye on the right ‘wing’ and you’ll see it slides just ever so slightly:

Anyway, excellent work. I hope you got an “A” grade.

1 Like

I just dumped the entire sequence into meshroom and it recognized every frame. You don’t need a plugin, all you have to do is add one or two nodes and you’ll get an alembic of the camera as well as automatically undistorted footage, which is fantastic. There’s a tutorial about it on the internet but it doesn’t work with every video.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’m now wanting to try it out.

Your result is looking fantastic! It could well be a scene from Game of Thrones, quality wise.

Would you mind sharing the link to the tutorial? I was looking for what you said without success and couldn’t find help. Meshroom gives so high-quality meshes out of the box, compared to other open source software, but without the undistorted images and camera data it is not very usable for me.

1 Like

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhdEmGLZhY

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

cool! Thank you, Bart :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re also on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Great work! It kinda reminds me of Dragonstone from Game of Thrones.

1 Like

Hey impressive! Does the island is real or is out of sheer imagination? A majestic setup

1 Like

It looks terrific, like a set for a Hollywood fantasy movie. The face count must be off the charts. Can you tell us how long it took to render?

1 Like

It’s a Scottish island called Muckle Flugga. I got the drone footage from a stock website

It’s been a while but I think I just had it rendering over 2 or 3 nights. Since the camera is so far away it really was no issue.

nice, incredible scene. Congratulations

1 Like

I think the most unbelievable part of the image is that there is no road, dock or jetty. How the heck would any one get there, let alone build it? Surely there must be a port for delivering the groceries. :grinning:

2 Likes

Imagine this guy did this as a student! I can’t imagine what he will do as an accomplish artist but it will surely be showing on a theater near you!

1 Like