3D-Coat as a companion to Blender

Good question. Can’t find it either. Maybe @carlosan knows? Otherwise, you can always ask at one of the 3DC Discords and/or the forum (see initial post for the links).

2 Likes

Thanks. I just joined the Discord last night. There are 2. I could only get into the concepting one. It says the other one can’t be accessed?

I’m also trying to figure out how to zoom to this pick point, but it always zooms to the centre.

1 Like

Hi
Can be change on Camera settings

• ping point thing request was forwarded to developers
1 Like

Thanks, rotating around it is fine, but I can’t find a way to zoom to it. So I wanted my view to zoom towards the cursor.

Also, is there a way to completely hide it?

1 Like

I’m giving it a second chance, (I had abandoned it 2 years ago in frustration), but I’m a bit confused loading it again for the first time again.
I think I need to keep at least the shortcuts as close as possible to ZBrush.

• is there a way to customize the add/subtract brush function to ALT key instead of CTRL?
  • if there is, assuming mask is a brush, what do you recommend I use CTRL for, the brush size and or falloff? or navigation alternative(for when the camera is too close to surface)?

I plan to reassign keys 1 to 9 to common brushes.

Other glaring issues I’m forgetting?

Ah, the applink to / from Blender: to have a constant size, what is the correct setting, 100 mm?

You can’t. It appears to be hard-coded. I’ve just installed it again after trying it 11 months ago and deciding against spending time learning it.

I have set my nav up as close to Zbrush right-click nav as I can. I just switched the position of alt and ctrl in my Wacom settings. I also use the Wacom dial ring for brush size. It works very well in 3DC.

I’m sure @Metin_Seven mentioned something before about a way to press a hotkey to toggle on mask(Freeze) while using any brush.

1 Like

What’s reall worse about 3D Coat is, that you can’t get close to Blender navigation.
Millde mouse wheel is in very strongly tied to changing the brush size/falloff.
If you change the middle mouse wheel to zoomin/out in 3D Coat you can’t asign changing the brush to an other hotkey.
Well, you can assign hotkeys for changing the brush incremently by one by press a hotkey, but this cumbersome.

I was afraid that’s the case.
Thank you for the insight, it’s a good tip. I have a very old intuous 3 with its four keys, I never used them, but I should check if I can adapt my muscle memory to them .

1 Like

Three things spring to mind:

1. You can assign the same hotkey to different tools / functions, then press the key multiple times to switch from one assignment to the next.

2. I believe there’s sticky key functionality as well: being able to temporarily activate a different function as long as you hold down a hotkey. If that’s not the case, then I might confuse this with the recent addition of that to Blender.

3. There’s also a configuration file where you can alter hotkeys that are assigned in a hardcore way, using a text editor. I think it’s in the 3D-Coat installation folder or a subfolder, otherwise it’s in a data folder (e.g. users/name/roaming/3dcoat or so).

3 Likes

Yes, I thought I remembered you saying something about this sort of thing before where you can press your freeze tool hotkey while using other brushes to temporarily use freeze while the key is held.

Is there any reason that the shading on the preview object primitives looks so terrible? And why the gizmo is all grey?

I guess the devs wanted to make it obvious that a preview object is not yet part of the scene until you press Enter, but the grey gizmo is odd indeed.

Grey gizmo issue also reported, thanks

2 Likes

Checked, option 3), the config file, option_hotkeys.xml is only for the usual assignations, but ALT and CTRL aren’t assignable.
(the other one, the textfile, is only for navigation related hotkeys, instead, the same called from the navigation customization in menu).

I could use an app to load a script swapping ALT and CTRL, in Windows, I will if I’ll keep struggling with that.

Also:

• how can I properly change the applink folder? Blender doesn’t have the option (unless I edit the python file)
  • what is the proper pipeline for the exchange, if I only want to voxel sculpt? trying to export from Blender as voxel mesh did the scale wrong, while if I exported it as ato-topo, the scale was right but I can’t figure the exact setting for remeshing, ending with a degraded version of the original.
  • or is theere a different way if I want the mesh 1:1 with Blender, and to set the voxelization scale afterwards?

I gotta say, I love to see the voxel clay brush at work, and the recent update as seen in video is great, but when I touch the program, I grow more and more frustrated each time…

1 Like

I’ve made some progress, I think I can shoulder the ALT / CANC thing.

But beside the pipeline for exchange, in the above post, the pipeline re: voxel scaling / remeshing is not yet clear to me: I would tend to use a low poly / large voxel to high poly / smaller voxel trek during the sculpt, but what is large, what is high? When / how often to perform a remesh? etc.

I’m checking a 7 yo tutorial, meanwhile, which is kinda good at least for its clarity: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL17Z03Lf1lyKZsHLvg27ZP0kzVR_mvLpX
(it is also in the first post by Metin).

1 Like

You can find a lot of topics and answers on the 3D-Coat forum, also about the Blender <> 3DC app link.

And usually, the folks at the 3DC Discords are helpful too. See my initial post for links.

1 Like

Yes, I get that of course. It’s more a case of how terrible the shader is. It’s difficult to see what’s going on in the black shaded region. It doesn’t react to ambient lighting either. I’m just wondering why it doesn’t have the same shader quality as everything else?

2 Likes
6 Likes

The UI got a facelift

2 Likes