3ds Max gets a slap in the face

Friendly advice: trying to distract attention from the issue at hand with ad-hominem attacks isn’t going to work.

1 Like

How about a scene of a real building’s structural steel(down to the bolts and welds, complete with raw poorly optimized geometry):

Blend file is 665MB, takes about 25 seconds to open
Verts: 11,228,246 Faces: 3,404,828 Tris: 4,421,082 Objects: 1/44,888

Selection is a bit sluggish but viewport navigation is very usable at around 30 fps.

I find Blender 2.8 more than usable with these kinds of giant scenes. It’s faster than Maya, which we’re currently paying maintenance for to handle them at a quarter of the size(because of how slow Maya imports them, we have to take “bites” of building and export them, where the first entire building I got into Blender took less time to import and is more responsive). Maybe there’s something else missing from these kinds of scenes that makes Blender unusable in other situations though.

My statement was from April and i was referring to b27…
BTW 4.5 mio faces is not that much and it’s already laggy while selecting.
Using 3ds in Office we often have scenes with 20-30mio polycount although we use vray proxies. There is no lag in 3ds with this kind of heavy scenes. Blender Is great for relativ small scenes. Great for packshots and modeling intensiv tasks, but now even modelling isn’t that good anymore because of its bad editmode Performance.
ATM I am out of office, enjoy holidays, I am excited to see b28 final release when I return

Isn’t Proxy limits amount of displayed polys for the sake of speed, but showing in statistics full number?

Well, I find always some essential tools broken in Blender, I have been using blender now about 3 years yet during all this time I can find major flaws in software where as I was using old 3DS max 2010 past 6 years and never had to relay on addons to fix stuff.

But that been said I like blender workflow and tools better, thou they always tend to be broken down in the line.

And of course Autodesk business model is what it is.:cold_face:

edit; i checked in detail: proxys influence the viewport stats how you set them in displaymode. WYSIWYG

Whatever, try it for yourself, make a scene without proxies and you will see it can easily handle 20-30 mio polys easily

Which ones for instance?

For example Skin/weight paint mirroring. It works with simple meshes but you have more complex mesh it wont even mirror.No Bipeds no cat equivelant.

Undo was broken in last 2.79 also when working with many undo passes. This might have been even in 2.78.

There is ton of more.

I just tried mirrored weight painting on a MakeHuman mesh, which worked (about 15,000 vertices). How complex was the mesh you tried?

15000 isn´t complex. Take the motor of a car. simple parts like a single screw or bolt have 15000 verts in such a model. A crankshaft might have 4 million and motor block itself is even more complex and is not unusual to have something around 15 million.

This is how you get the models from the customer. And there is no way to get them differently because these are the production CAD files which are used to build the actual car.

To be fair, they should requested as shrink wrapped (or similar, depending on software) to simplify it as much as possible before work even starts. But overall you’re right - design models are optimized for CAD work which makes them very difficult for visualization. And that assumes the models are ideal in the first place. Designers who get a case of the clevers when they have a problem are not uncommon.

Heh, well, I guess you can request whatever you want to but I have never seen a car company willing to do this. The processes are long winded because it has to pass through different layers of managers, the specific department of the car company might not have a person who knows what a shrink wrap is and finally the data is often delivered via usb stick beause of confidentiality which means that the whole process takes even longer.

Visualizing cars simply takes huge amounts of cpu/gpu power and decent viewport performance.

It is too bad because as far as I can tell there is a huge amount of money in the automobile industry and car companies are not yet as entrenched in Maya/Max pipelines as large film studios appear to be. The viz departements at car companies also seem to be growing.
So perhaps if the viewport got up to speed Blender might be able to grab a chunk of this market.

Do you normally weight-paint such a mesh?

1 Like

What comes to complexity would be something like this or just mesh which isnt perfectly symmetrical.
I know mirroring these sort of meshes is possible with addons but not with standard blender weights.

Examples (not created by me)

A video that the higher-ups at Autodesk should watch…

4 Likes

I have not tested 2.8 , but i can assure you opening a fbx export of a porsche cad file which had the full exterior and interior (no mechanics or electrical, was about 25 million poly ) , firstly you needed over 16gb memory to even open it. I upgraded to 32GB. Going into edit mode the viewport ran at like 2 or 3 fps ( i7 , was gtx 970 back then )

I would have to select and wait for an update then separate it, which took ages to process. bit by bit moving the parts across to different layers. Then create separate blend files for each of those layers.

I know on the coding side when you enter edit mode it duplicates the geometry. So if the model was 25 million in object mode , in edit mode you have 50 million polys in memory. When you exist edit mode it applies your changes to the cached mesh.

I dont know the solution to this , how they can optimize it but large poly scenes are a nightmare. Other than that I love blender!!!

1 Like

Yeah, my use case is a bit different since things come in as individual meshes. Even though there’s 44,000 of them, no individual mesh has that many polys so edit mode is still quick. Thankfully Decimate modifiers don’t affect viewport speed negatively like some modifiers do. Looking forward to importing my files directly once I get the importer written so I can instance as much as possible.

I think some people at Kinetix did something amazing at around 1980s, 1990s
there is still tools that seems like people have never used them. Generally speaking

There was a 3D Camera solver as of before year 2000 if not way before 2000 in program as just a tiny tool somewhere to be discovered

if Steve saw his Apple today … … … …
would take the iStand and break it on Tim’s head.

1 Like

This slap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvYXRt0QVwc&fbclid=IwAR3sLl6vzZXQEobWJ_GoQf69i1yCrIu_4pxh6q9TZku0-vZowRJhydjf3f8