3ds max to blender FBX IMPORT/EXPORT

I did. None of what is above is related to actually changing Units to Metric. I can’t guess.

Setting units to meters is the full solution. Note that scale in Blender must be 1, 1, 1 in the object options for that to work as expected (Object mode > Ctrl+A > Scale). This does work to get from Blender to Maya for example. However Maya by default uses centimeters so exported cube which in Blender had 1m in Maya’s default scene will be huge since it will be 100 units which is 100 cm i.e 1 m.

Thank you for taking time to answer. Well that is exactly my problem I want it to export to seted up scene size eg cm in max. And only thing I get is max scale 10000 insted of 100, yes it “works” when I set it to meters but then I have nasty loss of precision in 3ds max. Or to illustrate, I can’t work with that:

But if i do these to object in blender:

Then it imports in 100cm scene scale with correct xform.

And that shuffe with scene scales I would want to avoid. Just a simple export import from one to other.

So it looks like you want to have scale in centimeters when in Max and scale in meters when in Blender? I don’t think this is possible as one-click-and-go solution; this is a non-standard workflow.

There are workarounds for this only I think. One is using Blender importing and exporting options.
Blender can export FBX at certain scale factor. There is slider in Export FBX options, by default it’s set to 1.0 which will export in meters. If you set it to 0.01 it will export in centimiters, 0.001 - in millimiters etc. However I have no idea if Max provides anything similar.
For importing idea is the same - use Blender’s importing options. If using Import FBX (all above is related to it only) you will get options as usual in bottom left corner. There will be similar slider, by default set to 1.0. It allows similar conversion.

No I just want to have in blender whatever it can work with (addons included retopoflow mostly) and centimeters in max :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s a problem that max has import slider that detects and resales object to it’s system. I’ll have to dig deep to find a solution. Thank you for your time.

The point is that export / import works in certain unit to certain unit, meters to meters, centimeters to centimiters etc. Your problem though is that you want to have different units in applications set in their scenes by default while exporting / importing quickly. This became clear only in the recent messages while question states about general export which is a bit misleading.

Well I would work in cm to cm but blender addons and tools aren’t working well in cm setup. Even if they did I still have an error:

And the resulting size of the cube is correct 200cm but the scale is off by 100. And that is my main problem.

Today, I have also been exploring this workflow in order to bring my Revit file into Blender using the BMAX connector addon.
I am however having an issue where Autodesk Generic materials are not recognised by Max and therefore not exported to FBX for use in Blender. So all objects with Autodesk’s glass material (assigned in Revit) do not have any associated material in Blender:

Except for the door which uses this glass as part of a multi/subobject material :thinking:
Does anyone of you know the fix for this?

P.S. I don’t experience any scaling issues with these settings in Max:

In Blender, set the scene scale to 1 in order to avoid conflicts.