79 and still in that learning curve

Thanks Craig it is indeed fun since that litte gallery project is a labor of love but also serious for me. Whereas as I mentioned in this space thing who is to say you are wrong. And Dan, the tutorial man, also offers ongoing advice to keep the poly count down. And, you know me. Sooner or later this little model will have to be animated

One other thought if I might. Filmic Blender did not work in my little gallery. And, I gave it two days attempting just that. But, when a underlying theme might be highly saturated colors that makes sense. But, here I’m excited about Filmic Blender and the look. I have a feeling 2.8 will be simply something else. Exciting times ahead for blender heads regardless of what facet is of interest to you.

And, a tribute to Ton and all the developers over the years who keep his vision alive. And, kudos to the present developers. This is indeed some remarkable shit at any price. Oh, but blender is free. Sorry Craig but I had to go there.

It seems you are up and running again thank goodness. I will hopefully stay tuned to see how you wring 2.8 out.

///

As @harleynut would say; ‘it is what it is’ Or, a old master once said a work is never done just abandoned. Anyway, it was a fun little diversion. And, I can’t say enough about the gentlemen doing the tutorials. Craig we have a 100 degree day coming up I understand. Now I was at Fort Hood in another lifetime. But, a 100 here is indeed a deal.

2.79 Filmic_Medium High Contrast - Limited GI - Sun Lamp_Studio HDR - 850 passes

///

@j1g4r I told you the comment wasn’t wasted but it has been filtered through my mind. And, while still like you probably wouldn’t do it here it is. I sometimes get carried away in this CG World forgetting a few simple principles like the viewers eye needs a place to rest. And, in this case the hung pieces should be the center of interest. So thanks for the observation once again. By the way after revisiting reference photographs it seems my ambient lighting was way to much. These places are sometimes darker then the caverns… well, they are pretty dark drawing attention to the art no doubt. Matter of fact I could still take it down a notch here.

But, I also ran across some really nice tutorials on Blender Nation for anyone interested in interiors. 7 in all and the young man is indeed giving back to the Blender community. For anyone interested in archviz interiors you won’t be wasting your time. And speaking of giving back Blender Nation has been my first stop at least three times a week for years. https://www.blendernation.com/tag/create-a-modern-interior/

And, finally @AceDragon I never acknowledged your comment and that was rude. The renders look a little better for the same reason some of your sketchbook pieces suddenly look amazing. As you commented same CG Artist different machine. And, sadly that is a reality in this wonderful world of CG art. It’s not something I’m enthused about but a damn reality. I could have exactly the same node tree on my last machine and somehow the render didn’t look the same regardless of samples. And I realize that sounds crazy but rendering on the CPU that was a fact.

The fireman on the left flat is my son in law. Because this place is a cluster of blender artist and family along with nostalgia from a different time. So we motor on to that end I hope. And, I haven’t even started moving the camera yet. I’m hoping Lukas has something for those of us interested in animation forthcoming.

///

Family pictures on the flats in the center.

I always liked the renders you present here from time to time, but I must say that you excelled yourself with the latest ones. I like the moodier light in these. It’s very pleasing to the exhibits and helps to guide the focus of the viewer. The composition with the white walls in the vertical middle together with a darker ceiling and darker floor strengthens that. The spaciousness of the whole arrangement is great and it would be fun to walk through this exhibition. Well done!

minoribus, thanks guy. Based on your work if you can live with it I must be on the right path.

No reason for understatement on your side, it’s truly amazing :slight_smile:

Well damn now I am pumped up with a burst of enthusiasm here. Once again thanks.

minoribus I just had to smile. Anyone attempting to animate gets engaged with the characters. You did with the blond lady, the pilot, coming down the hall. And, Harleynut sure did with his drunk maintenance man. I can only imagine how engaged since my little effort has no characters.

But, when starting I did have a thought in mind to explain a gallery of this size. And, like you and Harley I smiled several times while pursuing that Wizard of OZ world I think anyone attempting animation somehow comes up with in their own mind.

In my case with no characters the owner of this place was a little rich kid who never worked a real job. And, had never actually lived in the world we inhabit. He attended the best colleges and pretty much that was it. In other words he earned his money the old fashion way. He simply inherited it. So Dad and Granddads money was being thrown around as I figured the scale. Because for some reason he decided a art gallery might be a little diversion as he wiled away the time on a golf course contemplating running for public office as if he had something to offer. So I think we all engage with the effort in our own way while letting our imagination run wild.

Of course as the place started coming together you commented it looked like something for the family. And, suddenly the worthless little rich kid was forgotten. I can only imagine your relationship with the blond pilot while animating. I just found this amusing how we get attached to a project and make it interesting in our mind. Much more so then if a still is the intent. Well, as I see it anyway. The blond pilot could have been an affair. : )

Well, I sobered up, a deplorable condition, and discovered layers again. Layers with a Alpha over node. If anyone has baked surfaces which suddenly become dirty look to the Color Balance and the S - Curve you might be using. Somehow it seems they can introduce noise back into your clean bakes of light. Now the answer I found was layers and simply insert the walls in my case after the mentioned nodes with a alpha over node.

I was sitting here seeing those walls suddenly turn to dirt in the last seconds of a render and wondering why. Just maybe someone has seen the same and ignored the obvious.

Well, what the hell happened here. I had no idea my little render would be times four. (]:) Talking about overkill.

Could this increase in render times be the result of the changes in the compositor?

No increase in render time minoribus even through I added two layers which is really overkill. I went overboard when I noticed you could set the number of passes for each layer. I was talking about one click and BA posting the image four (4) times. But, something just occurred to me maybe it’s the Denoiser adding the muddy look to the baked walls when the Color Balance and S - Curve nodes are being used. Academic in this case since Denoising will be used along with the mentioned nodes.

I was looking for maybe a increase in render times as you mentioned and was relieved when that didn’t happen. 400 samples for that shot are still around 4 minutes and 500 samples around 5. And, a particle system has been added inside the globe. By the time I start renders 2.8 should be online and I’m hoping Lukas has made the Denoising a little more effective for animation. Well that’s the hope anyway although as you no doubt know 5 minutes per frame I can live with. Plus by that time getting the ambient temperature down to 73 or 72 will be no problem. Just open a window which is cost free. :- )

You haven’t had the time for any animations lately but I’ve noticed in 2.79 I’m not having the jerkiness at 24 fps that we saw in previous versions. Oh well plenty of time for that decision. There’s a second floor over that elevator in the back that I haven’t even visited yet. Thanks for stopping by and I still remember you calling me out on a huge mistake early on.

///

Ah, then I misunderstood your post. My fault. Will the inner sphere of the globe be spinning and distributing particles? That could be a nice effect.

I’ve noticed in 2.79 I’m not having the jerkiness at 24 fps that we saw in previous versions.

Good to hear that. 24fps was indeed a bit uneven so far. forcing me to go to 30fps. The improvement may be the result of the work which was put into the video encoding for 2.79. There have been many changes under the hood: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.79/More_Features

minoribus not really happy with that damn sphere. I’ve been doing a little study on noise. Specifically that floor. Oh and I should add noise as it pertains to attempting to keep render times reasonable per frame and using the Denoiser. The color balance node seems to be the worst offender then the S-Curve dependent on how much is used. And, of course the HDR itself for reflections.

And, when I put the floor on another layer bypassing those two nodes I immediately got what you were referring to because cycles tiles the entire frame including the alpha for each layer. Adding about a minute to the time. However, no big deal and I’m still playing with different set ups. I mean life is one long coffee break now. : ) Interesting link the developers might have indeed worked some magic. But, the proof would be a upload to Vimeo and it seems to me they suggest 30 fps. 24 would have simplified your projects through.

I’m not a techno which is the reason for me asking. When using Layers why does cycles have to tile the entire frame for every Layer. Is there something wrong in my settings. Let me also add I’m using Denoising for two Layers. Is it something simply unavoidable or could it be corrected. I mean I’m using Mask Layer but still watching Cycles tiling the entire frame adding to render times.

I guess we all get stuck on dead center occasionally. And, i think I was in that place. And, i work way to slow for the WIP section of the forum. So I emailed a old friend who has had his work shown in more galleries then most of us have ever visited. And, my question was the arrangement of the movable partitions and that vast floor when first coming out of the lobby.

His first comment in a web cam was the versatility of movable partitions followed by a comment on the many configurations possible and why each might be used. And, I realized some fine artist have a say in how their work is displayed which was news to me. So the old friend while being a talented artist was also damn knowledgeable in how art is displayed. Now all that aside my little project moves on at a pace suiting me. And, with a new appreciation for the WIP section. Hell we all sometimes find ourselves locked into a view or a material simply because it has been there for days if not months.

One more thing this will immediately get pass the family pictures which have no interest for the casual viewer. Not to mention cutting down on the render times for that expensive floor. While giving the composition a mid ground.

Still here and working on the back including the second floor. And, thinking the young German with his denoiser was a gift from the gods for anyone interested in having a moving camera. Not to mention the principled shader with actual sliders. Blender is indeed on the move. Hell, with his denoiser I no longer use baked walls. And, can live with 4 1/2 minutes for the most expensive shot in the place.

Hey Ghost

Hope you well my friend, that gallery is looking fantastic!!!

Regards

Shaun