79 and still in that learning curve

Hey, old Blender buddy thanks. And, here’s hoping you and the family are doing well. I think I remember sending you a PM saying I robbed another Shaun original for the second floor back there. Looking back on your renders the words of encouragement mean a lot. Bill
///

Nice work, ghost. I like the stairs, though the handrail could use some more support, the upper section has some pretty long runs without any uprights.

@SterlingRoth, they do indeed guy and thanks. You might also have noticed the bottom landing has no support directly under it. i trusted that assuming the builder had used HY- 80 for the flat diagonal supports. :slight_smile: After all the alter ego who built this place was a damn trust fund baby. Then fell into a barrel of money which he systematically pisses away. The opening is only happening because his two daughters will handle the day by day business.

Hey, why not have a little fun with a effort which has gone on this long. And, it’s a world of smoke and mirrors after all. But, if that caught your eye I will certainly check it out. Once again thanks.

///

@SterlingRoth, I had to add two rails for your suggestion besides the uprights since there was nothing to anchor them to. But, god knows the entire place could be picked apart by a structural engineer. In the back the beams are over two hundred feet long with no support. However, with a moving camera maybe that will simply pass.

The fact is the stairs have been a pain in the ass since day one simply because of the pixel size. And, while your suggestion was appreciated I don’t see it adding anything with a moving camera. But, appreciate the observation and I tried it old buddy. In the mean time here is the scene when you first walk into the place. Hey, Blender, my family and my life are the theme if you will along with what I happen to consider some talented Blender artist over the years.

And, while my little effort leaves much to be desired I have a feeling I have to get on with this for the kids. Time could be at a premium here old buddy.

Nice job and good use of space, would make a pleasant place to visit if it were real. Also love the eclectic nature of the collection (wish more galleries were like this).

Just a thought here but could this be adapted to work in a game engine? Would be great to be able to wander around the gallery using mouse and arrow keys.

Tarnyloo73, thanks for the generous comment. But, whoa guy that hasn’t occurred to my old ass. Being born in the 1930’s mine wasn’t a gaming generation. Unless of course when talking to the ladies like they won’t one step ahead of the BS. Actually, there is a little backstory in the tour of this place which might separate it from being a simple walk through at the end.

So even as I’m still working on the back it’s tutorial city soaking up camera moves and cuts in film. Which by the way are faster paced then films from my day. Where a long pan might have been used they simply use a hard cut now. But, of course the camera will be on a path for much of the little film with no camera shake. There it will be a more traditional look in keeping with the content. OK, way more then you inquired about here. I’m glad you liked the composition and once again thanks.
///

Hey Ghost

Thanks and doing OK, you know the troubles, I have whined enough to you.

Hope the family is doing just great.

I remember saying before that it is an honour for my stuff to hang in your gallery, so fire away.

I like the suggestion from Tamyloo, maybe that is something for ‘’ 86 and still in that learning curve "

Best Regards

Shaun

@Speed7 LOL I copy the 86 comment old Blender friend. And, at the rate I’m going… Looking forward to you taking 2.8 for a spin after the Code Quest.

@SterlingRoth Well there is the support you mentioned or at least I think so. And, it might even add a little visual interest. I’m now convinced the grief with those damn steps is simply pixel size from a distance.

@Tarnyloo73 The eclectic nature almost didn’t happen and in the back many family pictures are grouped together. But, at some point it seemed like color could actually be a theme if the traditional arranging was disregarded. Thank you all for taking the time.

///

One other observation if I might. That rather large gantry crane at Newport News Ship which spans two dry docks is showing it’s age. So my understanding is the Germans have a new one being shipped by sea. No doubt with a team of German engineers to supervise the erection of the new one as they did the original many years ago. I have not a clue how you erect a crane of that size. Or, for that matter how you could dismantle the old one. But, it’s playing out in ‘Shipyard, Virginia’ about ten miles down the road from my hooch. My thought is god bless and may they pull it off with no lost of life.

///

Wow, that is quite a lot of crane. How big of a crane do you need to erect a crane that big?

The handrail looks much sturdier. The last thing this gallery needs is a slip and fall lawsuit.

I really like the beam stubs between the header window dividing the large area from the inner gallery, it’s a cool visual detail.

@SterlingRoth, I agree and decided to add two rails to the bottom also. No we don’t need a patron busting their ass in here. Thanks guy.

That is exactly what I’m thinking in reference to the crane. I don’t see any movable boom construction type crane doing it even working in tandem. The first fence is only about fifteen feet from a public street so I would be there if I still drove. No doubt it will draw some onlookers. Sterling could it be they ship it without the operators elevator and a lot of structural steel and add that after its in place. That way you are erecting a shell then building it from the inside out. I have a old buddy who left the shipyard to become a iron worker and he would probably know. Damn it stuff like that fascinates me.

The Navy yard in Bremerton has some healthy cranes no doubt but they don’t need anything like this. That bitch can sit 1/5 of a aircraft carrier in place if I’m not mistaken. Anyway glad you can live with my design work if I may call it that. Stay loose out there in Portland.

Nice to see some updates of your gallery, Ghost. And render times seem to have decreased significantly due to the denoising, while the renders are crystal clear when seen in full view. I think I see some new exhibits, right?

Thanks for dropping by my talented and tech savvy Blender friend. Lukas has promised even faster times for a moving camera although implementing it won’t be pretty. The portable bar has been added as mentioned to separate the patrons from their money. : ) And, that orange rug is gone thank goodness. And, I don’t hesitate to move items for what I think is a better composition cheating if you will in the placement. Otherwise I’m still plodding along like a old mule.

And, looking forward to you wringing 2.8 out in several months. Maybe not as you use to do where a ongoing WIP was a tutorial in real time. Damn that was insanity for someone maintaining a career. Take care and enjoy the mild weather. Ghost

1 Like

This real time render engine in 2.8 looks amazing. No more 14 hours for five seconds of animation with the AC cranked up. Now while in this link it looks amazing we will see. I guess it’s simply can you live with the trade offs and the project. But, for a studio dealing with business types who want results yesterday it will be a gift no doubt. Once again just amazing what old Ton and the community have accomplished here.

@theoldghost just came across your sketchbook and for a 79 Y.O. person you are up there with some of the few good arch modellers…this proves that you are never too old to learn, be creative and awesome.

New fan of your work here.

Thanks @tommy1441 for your generous remark. Actually, I’ll be 81 this month god willing. And, while my energy level has all but disappeared I hope to finish this one project. Where just maybe my children will open it for the second time when my age and smile.

Here’s hoping you continue to enjoy Blender in the coming years. We all have something in common and that is feedback. We know someone didn’t scratch something on a cave wall and simply leave. Hell no he or she had to have that feedback good or bad. Happy Blendering.
///

@theoldghost even more impressive then…82 Y.O. WOW kudos my friend!

Couldn’t agree more, that’s why I joined this incredible community, the feedback is always sincere and honest 'cause all of us have gone through the same process of successes and failures and whenever the time is hard, we find someone that lifts our spirit and motivation to continue regardless of age, race or wealth…this is how it should be.

Happy Blending!

And, that is the legacy that old Ton will leave. From a little program in a Dutch company he has somehow brought us to 2.8 You know many men who were in the service will remember a drill instructor until their dying day. With a smile although smiles were hard to come by during that time.

My point would be those old drill instructors were married to to their respective branch of the service. In my case it was sergeant Burns who loved the 82nd Airborne Division. And, according to him more then his parents. : ) Now why their life is not something most of us would choose those committed individuals are needed. And, Ton is such a individual.

I would venture to say thousands of men remember sergeant Burns. God only knows how many will remember Ton while using this marvelous program.
///

1 Like