99* Days of Blender

Day 25^ - I’ve been working, I just have nothing to show

^Technically I was doing stuff in Blender yesterday but it was a bit of a disaster and I’m just going to forget about the whole thing :slight_smile:

I’ve been meticulously- much better than last time- unwrapping UV maps. That’s it, really, there’s not much to say about it, other than the process works incredibly well. The only major flaw in this inner line technique is that the ease of use is entirely dependent on your UV mapping, meaning if it’s not easy to use, you have no one to blame but yourself. To that end, I’ve been optimizing my UV maps for ease of use, where I can move an edge in a logical direction and the inner line moves in the same direction. Currently, ease of use is very easy indeed. Ease of setup- not so much.

This may all seem abstract, and I recognize I haven’t explained it well, so here’s one more screenshot that should help quite a bit:

Places where the UV map is in the white are white, same as always, but here you can see how just moving some edges into the black is all you need to add “eyeliner” :smiley: And that eyeliner isn’t static- I can easily keyframe how much or little of it there is, which allows for the variation between camera angles that is essential for this.

The eyes, nasolabial crease, and mouth have by far the most complicated UV unwrapping- the more islands, the easier it is to add more lines. Areas that don’t need many lines can get away with not many islands. Ultimately, this is highly technical work that requires a lot of strategy and planning. I would not recommend trying it just for fun. I enjoy it but I’m weird :laughing:

Yeah, I really don’t have anything else to say :man_shrugging: I’ve launched a 2D curriculum for myself, you can check that out in my other sketchbook: 2D Learning and Practice - #13 by joseph

Music:

Baba is You soundtrack. It’s nice background music in the weirdest, funkiest, way possible. It’s also an excellent puzzle game that I cannot recommend highly enough

6 Likes