99* Days of Blender

I don’t know much about proportions (always a painful subject :sweat_smile:), but I have some notes on shapes. Maybe it might be helpful?
Even if you aim at more, uhhh, down-to-earth style, it would still have same landmarks and line directions as “wasps”.
One such feature is waist. It should be pretty high (think of the times when a woman could comfortably wear pants without worrying they would reveal anything if she sits down), and the belly button is just below it. Should be somewhere under ribs, I suppose?
Regarding shoulders, it’s important to remember that clavicle bones are a part of that mechanism. Don’t forget to find the other end of that bone =) Then you have a deltoid there, it will be pronounced even in T-Pose (even on stick people). Then the biceps will be bulging on another axis, toward the front view. Then bony parts on elbow and curve of the forearm. It will (roughly) go up-down-up-wrist or something like that. Again, it should be relevant even in T-Pose, though maybe not very noticeable.
I’ve come to like the idea of zig-zaging directions to describe the silhouette - many art-anatomy instructions address it. It works for appeal, even if not too exaggerated. Watch an imaginary line on a reference and see where it goes, how it turns. It somewhat helps to get a sense of proportions too.

This is exaggerated (just the way I prefer), but hopefully illustrates what I mean:

6 Likes

@Minamookevlar @stray thank you both so much!!! I really appreciate the feedback, more than I can say. I don’t know if I’m the right man to implement it, reading over what you guys said is filling Goblin Brain with malicious joy and the rest of me with creeping dread, but I’m sure going to try :grimacing:

3 Likes

I downloaded your model and tried to work with proportions. Maybe it’s better now, I don’t know. The feet may be small. And I didn’t touch her hands.

I think that’s what can be fixed In your original mesh - the arms and legs are thin. The head was big. Her back and shoulders should be wider.

2 Likes

Oh no-no-no, it was certainly not my intention to feed your goblin! :fearful: You’re just moving some vertices around, as usual. As long as you have a back-up file, there’s nothing to fear :shield:

2 Likes

Oh no, you’re good, you did nothing wrong! I just have a lot of imposter syndrome and my natural reaction to a challenge is to shut down and hide and do something else :sweat_smile: I’m not going to do that, I’m going to move vertices around and follow your feedback, it’s just very scary, you know?

2 Likes

Day 42 - aaaaaaaaaaaah :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

Ok, I’ve been working on this a lot, and let me first say that opening this file and starting to fix things was insanely hard. It took hours of staring at it before I could get over myself. I’m glad I did though, it’s looking a lot better:

I've changed the proportions of pretty much everything- it would be shorter to list what I haven't changed. And it definitely looks better today than it did yesterday. The head might still need to be even smaller, I did shrink it down a bit, but I'm not sure about that one. I think the waist might also still be too low - @StrayBillie , what do you think?

bm_d_sharing3.zip (952.7 KB)

It doesn’t help that my orthographic reference is heavily stylized and my perspective references are of different people. My wife, who is my primary real-world reference, has a torso that all of you here would describe as implausible (and I would too if I hadn’t verified this myself)- her ribs touch her hips when she’s standing normally, which is proportionally completely wrong. Funny how real people work :sweat_smile: For that reason, I can only really use her for details, as her overall proportions are entirely wrong for this model.

One problem I’ve encountered- I can’t make the arms. I realized from what @Minamookevlar and StrayBillie said that I’d done them completely wrong, and trying to get the hands in the right place was being a pain anyway, so I removed the arms. The hands are in the right place (pretty easy to check by pivoting with the shoulder as the pivot point), which is great… but I can’t remake the arms. I know how to do it, and I’ve tried many many many times today, but I just can’t somehow, there’s some mental block here that has rendered me entirely useless.

I’m unsure what to do now to get over this. I’m considering making a post in Volunteer Work to see if anyone can fill in the arms. My frustration here is just making things worse, the more I try to make these arms the less able I am to do so.

4 Likes

I think it’s better (I’ve worked on my blend file today, don’t take me seriously), but I do suggest getting some rest before doing a body part (which is a huge part of the model). Refreshing a human mind is as frequently necessary as refreshing the viewport to see the changes :wink:
Honestly, I should tell that to myself, after spending like 50 bucks using a render farm to generate one image! (The HDRI was 16k, and I needed 16000 samples at my 4K = 4096:x=16:9, my render crashed with CUDA error).
Talk about a day we’ve had :laughing:

3 Likes

Ooh, updates coming for your vehicle? I hope so!

You’re right, I should take a break. I just worry that my break will turn into a permanent one and this will join the massive pile of 90% complete projects I already have :grimacing: I’ll step away for a few hours, though, and come back to this later tonight. If I haven’t posted any updates by tomorrow morning, please feel free (you or anyone else) to pester me :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The upper leg muscles (quadriceps femoris) usually “bulge out” a little. Something like this:

4 Likes

Wow, yes they do. How did I just completely miss that? Thank you, I’ll fix that for sure!

1 Like

It does look better already. I feel like knees maybe too high, though? Or maybe not… :thinking:

Don’t worry about arms - they are just ever so slightly curved cylinders! (Don’t take that too seriously - this is just my way of coping with anatomy :rofl:)
Forearm is probably my favourite… Start with elongated box, add two loopcuts, move them to make shape as in the picture - wider at one end, curving with a step toward the wrist. The shoulder is a similar box with loopcuts pulled down slightly.
I don’t trust my ability to form coherent sentences at this hour of the night, so I attach an image (which I messed up at the elbow, I think) and a (cut version of the) file. But I should say that I’ve box-modeled a character exactly once (and it was bad), so I’ve no idea how to do it in practical terms.

bm_d(stray_notes).rar (240.4 KB)

I agree with @Minamookevlar though! Don’t forget to get some rest. Especially if you’re still not feeling well. If you THAT worried about loosing the momentum, try to do some related studies to aid the model, maybe sketch for 10-20 minutes from figure refs. As long as it’s properly irresponsible, light activity.

5 Likes

Day 43 (hopefully part 1) - we got arms again!

MASSIVE shout-out, and endless thanks, to StrayBillie. I could not have done this without them. Sometimes when you’re stuck, you need some external prodding, and the provided arm blockout was enough to get me going. I now have correctly sized arms, the elbows are in the right place, the twist is correct:

and in short, everything is excellent once again.

I’ve also adjusted the waist and the thighs quite a bit, adjusted the neck slightly, and adjusted the shoulders and shoulder blades. Currently, this bald woman has Wonder Woman thighs and skinny little arms like mine, which is kind of a silly combination, but my goal here is to have a highly flexible base mesh with realistic enough proportions that I can adjust volume and tweak proportions to create a wide array of body types. I’m still not perfectly happy with the head, I’m probably going to rip that off and make a new one, but the body has met my goals. It’s flexible, deforms well, and has good topology. It’s easy to add volume where needed.

One thing that’s a bit odd is that Mixamo won’t rig it - it won’t even try, it just says the rigger failed when I upload the file. I don’t use Mixamo for anything other than quick deformation tests, so this isn’t the end of the world, but it is strange. I know for a fact this model has perfect animation topology :thinking:

Unless anyone else has any glaringly important things about this, I’m going to call it done for now. It’s a good starting point for future character projects, which is good enough for me for now, I really need to pick up the pace of this sketchbook since I’m almost halfway through.

Music

It snowed, so I can officially listen to Christmas music now. So we’ve been listening to a nice playlist of jazzy Christmas music this morning- ranging from Bing Crosby to The Beach Boys to Ariana Grande.

What did I learn today?

When in doubt, ask StrayBillie for help :wink: Or @TrueDetective (thanks again for the thigh tip!), or any of you lovely people. It’s really nice having a community, I definitely grow faster because of you guys.

5 Likes

Nice! Coming together very nicely!
Congrats!

1 Like

Thanks for the mention.

Move a little here (maybe just a little, not too much)

This is the thigh bone and some of the muscles around it.

3 Likes

Day 44 (probably part 1, you know the drill) - ink wash painting

I’m taking a mini-break from character work to try something out stylistically I’ve been wanting to do for a few days. Don’t worry, @TrueDetective, I saw your tweak and I will implement it soon :slight_smile:
Specifically, I’ve been wanting to try out @polygonvariable 's ink wash shader, so I did, and I’m delighted with the results:

This whole thing- shaders and all- took about 20 minutes. (ANT Landscape tool came in handy!) Pretty cool. Definitely a trick to remember.

9 Likes

Mmmh, that looks lovely.

1 Like

Day 45 - watercolor paper test

At the end of the day, what I do best is NPR shaders (I’m more of a technical artist than anything else). I used an old scene from a weekend challenge to try out a new look- I think it turned out really well. I used this as inspiration, but I ended up heavily deviating from what they did.

I’ve been super busy at work + lacking in motivation so I haven’t had a lot of time to do much. There will for sure be a Part 2 today

8 Likes

Day 45, Part 2 - halfway retrospective

I can say for sure that this was a good idea. I’ve gotten better at expressing myself artistically, I’ve learned a lot of new techniques, and I’ve definitely benefited from the discipline of trying to do something every day.

On the flip side, I’ve been reminded that I struggle with getting distracted, and when I feel like I’m not doing well enough, I have a tendency to shut down. I’ve been quite harsh on myself here- not anything out of the ordinary, it’s just interesting to go through this thread top to bottom and notice the patterns. I’ve also noticed that when I’m struggling with feelings of inadequacy or failure, I tend to revert back to my comfort zone instead of pushing myself. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, I think it’s a good safeguard against burn out, but it can be taken too far and get away from me. Something to be aware of.

I still plan on using the last half of this sketchbook go focus on animation, but that may change slightly. My writer friend has begun writing a graphic novel I’ve been booked to illustrate, so we’ll see. I’m really excited for that project, it’s going to be a huge one. If that does get handed over to me fairly soon, I’ll instead be focusing this sketchbook on nailing down the style for that project.

Lastly, I know you’re all thinking it - “45 isn’t halfway through 99?” This is embarrassing but somehow I thought it was… I’ve been saying “ok I’ll write a halfway retrospective at day 45” since day 25 or so, I wrote this whole thing out, and only now did I realize that I have made a mistake :sweat_smile: so we’re going to pretend like 45 is half of 99, since I don’t really want to throw this away.

No new art- spent the evening cleaning

5 Likes

Those shaders look so good. And nice wind turbine blades :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time spent on art is not linear - it’s “halfway” when you feel like it :slight_smile: You’ve been diligent and made good models, interesting scenes and shared some very exciting tech-art knowledge. Looking forward to the other half =)

4 Likes