A flower for you...

Good job so far man. It will look ace with slightly worn out textures. :slight_smile:

I think its head is too high, too much forehead for instance.

Robo, that Cycles render looks freakin’ awesome :smiley: love it’s design… almost like a combination between WALL-E & one of the droids from Star Wars (can’t put my finger on which specific one). Can’t wait to see it textured!

P.S. just out of curiosity, ever read any of Isaac Asimov’s robot stories? (Robbie, Bicentennial Man, Runaround, etc)

You’re right, fixed :slight_smile:

Yes I have stumbled upon Asimov’s adventures on a few occasions…never really had enough attention to enjoy them fully though…MUST BLEND!!!

And here is Tommy (yes, I named him) wearing a UV test grid. I’ve never really gotten over how awesome test grids look :smiley:

Ready to paint!!

Robo

I hear ya, Robo… I find myself in the same situation all too often - to blend, to read, or to play video games/watch a movie? (they’re one of my more consistent inspirations)… that is the question, you know? :wink:

anyway, Test Grid looks great! I really should try it out more often… then again, I should practice Unwrapping itself more often too :o

Hey, im fairly new to blender, when you said ready to paint what did you mean? Are you creating the textures? because i always wanted to render my models with a Photoshop like interface except for 3d.

Hey Robo, quick question…did you actually rig Tommy or are you mannually posing him? I havent really gotten into rigging yet…want too…just not enough time:( Maybe some one could write a python script for Blender that slows the fabric of time LOL but seriously;)

Thanks and Glade you liked my portfoilio, I’ve got a few ideas for a project…but I’ll hit ya up later on that topic after you get this one near completion.

I actually just used “Smart UV Project” for most of the parts of this model. That tool has definitely been improved over time…it used to suck, but now, it’s all you really need to do for basic texture painting :slight_smile:

I’m actually going to be creating most of the textures in Blender’s “Texture Paint” mode. This allows me to paint directly onto my UV unwrapped models with the results appearing on a blank image.

No I did not rig him…it takes WAAAY to much time lol :smiley: He is made of individual objects that are Child/Parented together. I placed their origins at specific locations so that every part moves correctly when rotated. For mechanical models (robot, mech, vehicle, etc) this works flawlessly and is so much quicker to set up. (with the disadvantage of not being animatable)

Umm…if you google around a bit, you’ll find some reasources like Rigify (auto rigging system) and such…I don’t do much animation so I’m not up to date with the latest rigging techniques…or any rigging techniques for that matter… :smiley:

Oh sweet! I am soo looking forward to this :smiley: And yeh, prolly after I’m done with Tommy here and after I’ve got my own porfolio site up and running properly again, I’ll be ready and able to totally focus on our creation of epicness. Whenever you like, feel free to PM me with ideas :yes:

Robo

Hey Robo I just posted a new piece in the finished project gallery check it out, maybe it will help stir up some creative juices:) Thanks for the tips on rigging or non-rigging I should say;) Thats definetly more my style as well, traditional rigging looks to be a real pain!

@Derek: Like I said on your thread, that grass/flower stuff you’ve got going on there is absolutely amazing! I’ll PM you when I get a chance with some brainstorm stuff…we’ll see where we go from there :slight_smile:

On topic…

Started texture painting. This is just a rough, general paint job so far (and only half done at that). Originally, I started painting in a rusty orange style…but then I thought what about more of a pastel blue rusty texture? Here’s two samples…I’d like to hear what you guys think.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tU605BRQXX0/Tw9q9WbpgvI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/iacA5PAlhEc/s800/20120112_tommy_tex_idea.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v_-TOeOkFiw/Tw9tNNfDVkI/AAAAAAAAAko/Mc_DkBlo1p4/s800/20120112_another_tex_idea.jpg

Once the texture is done, I will get to work with Cycles materials and make this look like real metal…so keep that in mind.

Robo

Blue please…

I vote for the orange, brown idk it just makes the image fuller, if you get my vibe…

Make it blue!!!

I say why not both:) Blue and orange are accenting colors. I’m thinking a soft aqua-blue marine color which maybe was the original paint color and then orange and brownish rust comming through in spots of ware or scratches. Thanks for the great comments on my Sunrise pic, its fun to see hard work pay off. Look forward to seeing Tommy completed!

Happy Blending:)

I agree with Derek :yes:

Can’t wait to see it finished!

Would you consider painting the robot with a metallic finish, and have the paint peeling off, showing the rust and all? Maybe apply some bubble type of effects too with a normal map like the paint’s been in the sun a while. I just think it’ll give it more of a lively feel, rather than having it all rust.

Ya, that idea of blue paint, with rust showing through in a few places fits nicely with what I was thinking.

Just out of curiosity, (I don’t know if Cycles can even do this) but does anyone know if it’s possible in Cycles to actually use two different surface shaders on the same model? (perhaps blended with a mask/stencil map?) The application here would be a painted area (coloured glossy BSDF) with splotches of rust (textured, bump mapped, diffuse BSDF) all on the same model. Is it possible?

I would think so, I know you can do multipule UV maps for one object I’m sure there must be a way to utilize those as stencils and different texture painted materials. The easiest way to possibly do the texturing (as far as the rusty patches and paintes areas) might be using GIMP instead of projection painting.

I’m not the best on Cycles yet so I hope someone with more experience will answer your call:)

It is possible. Here’s my node setup for one of my models for the guitar scene:

BW textures as masks, created in Gimp. Pretty straightforward, yet effective :yes: All of them use the same UV map.
As for bumps, They’d probably have to be merged directly in PS/Gimp/Whatever, I didn’t find a way to mix textures directly in Blender (which is a bit strange, since the compositor is able to do so…)

Looks good. can’t wait to see what you do with the textures. love the character style so far.

I knew it was possible! Originally, I was actually thinking about trying something like what you suggested here, but it works even better than I thought it would! Thanks for the screenshot Krok :slight_smile:

So here’s a really quick and rough paint/rust material test. The idea being: glossy blue paint with spots of rust (not glossy, textured diffuse shader)

Now that I’ve got a method to create the paint material, I can start slowly texturing Tommy, part by part :slight_smile: I’ll post my progress as it happens :smiley: Thanks for all the support guys, and happy blending!!

Robo