A new OS specifically designed for blender

“Sure, the paid support is great but also there is the great community always …”
Exactly!

I find the ‘why’ very logical. Ubuntu is “this package” and if you modify it you get “this package remix”. It’s amazingly simple and most companies/institutions do the same or are even thougher. Like Mozilla where ‘Firefox’ is also a trademarked name, but you have no right what so ever to modify the package and keep the name. So I absolutely don’t see the problem. Though I would never use Ubuntu either, but that’s bacause Unity GUI is the antichrist. But that’s a whole other matter.

I agree with your point: Don’t call something a duck, if it’s a chicken.
That’s not the issue I’m talking about, but it’s going off topic, so I think we’ll just leave it as-is, lol.

@Bizla - Cool thing you have here. I haven’t tried a Linux OS in a long time, but this would make me try again. You said earlier in the thread that you’d make a tutorial that shows you how to set up dual-booting in less time than complicated tutorials online.

Were you still going to do that? I’d like to do that on my laptop.

nice convo guys :wink:

@kris, thank you, version 2 is just about ready, I just have to get down the public library so i can use there awesome upload speeds to get this baby online :wink:
Here you go, the first section is about creating a dual boot partition, the second part is how to install blenderbuntu onto that partition, but the second part will work the same for whichever distro you choose (blenderbuntuV2 fingers crossed haha) its pretty simple how ive laid it out, but if you have any problems at all dont hesitate to leave a comment in the sites forum section (its under the contact tab)

Hmmm, you say here ya go, but I don’t see anything to go to :smiley: Did I miss something?

Edit: I just found the website and instructions. Thanks a lot. Now to try it and not screw up my laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

haha, im sorry, im alwyas doing that, forgetting to put the link in lol, glad you found it though :slight_smile:

So I don’t have time to read through all the posts here so sorry if I’m suggesting something that’s already mentioned but here are a few apps I would like to see in this (and working) before I would replace my Ubuntu 12.04 Distro…

1. Blender (already there of course)
  2. GIMP 2.8 (for the single window mode)
  3. Audacity with LAME
  4. WINE (So I can use Sculptris)
  5. Kdenlive (for video editing)
  6. Kazam (or a similar screencaster)

I do a lot of arty things and make art videos for youtube so video editing and being able to screencap Blender and GIMP is very important to me :slight_smile:

Great work with this! Pretty inspirational if I’m being honest…
:heart:

Thats perfectly fine :slight_smile:

✓ blender
✓gimp 2.8
✓wine

I will add the others right now, and get back to you once done :slight_smile:
thank you very much xD your too kind

Sorted, all except LAME have been installed, I have no idea about LAME or where to put it so I thought it would probably be best to leave that out before screwing it up, but of course anyone who uses audacity and LAME will probably know how to install it anyway (fingers crossed)

well guys, the comes in every mans life when he realises he needs help, this time has come for me now…
when I first started V2 I made a quick wubi install of ubuntu minimal (just to save time since i knew i would be uninstalling it and then reinstalling it on a separate partition when its finished) turns out to be a quite bad idea, because now i need to use remastersys to create a distributable ISO out of the finished system, but because its not on it own partition the remastersys is trying to clone the entire windows partition aswell, ive read that its possible to migrate my OS from the wubi install to its own partition without losing data, but either im rubbish at looking or the resources no longer exist, if anybody knows how to do this, knows anyone who knows how to, or even just knows a tutorial on it, then please reaply/point them this direction/share the link to the page.
thanks all, i really appreciate any help you can give, because today was going to be release day, but it seems that untill i migrate I cant release V2. with care, Bizla.

i dont know any tools that might help, but how about copying raw data into some sort of .img image file? you can do that with “dd” command and put content of one file system (hard disk) to another hd or .img etc.
im not sure however how it would behave with the wubi installation, but if you do that from inside booted os i think it might work

i know with this method people archive whole disks for backups, or even migrate os’s from virtual machines to stand alone machine to differend physical drive, so maybe its worth a shot

edit: this doesn’t work?

@Bizla:
If you have a different folder that houses all your work, you can use a windows app called Linux reader:
http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

It can access your other files on different filesystems from within Windows. Though it doesn’t give you writing or removing permission, it does give copy permission. So that should enable you to move the batch to a different storage device, test it from there and if it works, you should be able to get it built.
(^^,)

Hope it helps (I know a lot less about this stuff than you, lol).

thanks for the replies guys, I tried both of your suggestions but no luck :frowning: for some really weird reason (may just be a problem with the latest remastersys) the size of the ISO when it does finally get round to doing it (I created another ext4 partition to store the remastersys files just as a test) it ends up being nearly 20GB, which is bonkers since the entire OS and all of its file systems comes in at under 2GB :L im baffled, truely and utterly stumped :frowning:
although on an even brighter side Ive just done some modelling in windows 8 to see the differences again and realised that my OS isnt just beating windows 8 with blender by 46%… im using the “fastest build” from graphicall.org and just plain old standard in blenderbuntuV2… My next test is to see is I can hit the famous 50% mark on blenderbuntuV2 using an optimized build of blender xD

I really thought that would work. oh well.
By how much are you beating Windows 8 and when was it released over there?

That sucks…I was hoping to install this soon. Should I go with Ubuntu or Mint to dual-boot on my Windows 7x64 machine?

Hiya sorry the epicly slow reply, Been really busy lately and totally forgot about blenderartists (sorry guys)
I rebuilt the OS on a brand new hardrive and got got the speed even faster (although the render speed is now unmatched it came at the cost of slightly slower boot times, but pretty fast)
the whole new os (dubbed V2.5) weighs in at under 1GB,and is seriously fast at rendering!
Currently only a shippable DVD is available from my site, But hoping to get the ISO itself uploaded soon, to have the DVD burnt, tested, printed and sent anywhere in the world though is only $15, but hopefully it will get me a little more money on the side so I can carry on and create V2.6 :slight_smile:

Website is www.blenderbuntu.weebly.com.

This is a great idea. As well as blender and gimp, can we have Inkscape? I use that a lot for creating shapes that I import into blender. Thanks.

Hi sparkwood :slight_smile:
thank you for your support, inkscape can be included by copying this into a terminal.

press ctrl-alt+T to bring up terminal.
and paste this into the terminal-

sudo apt-get install inkscape

it will then ask for password, type it in and press “Y” when asked.

Finally copy and paste this into the terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

that is the most precise way of installing inkscape, it will automatically download any relevant packages.

another way to install it would be by going into applications and selecting synaptic package manager, then searching for inkscape, tick the box and hit apply, whichever way suits you best, in future updates I will include inkscape as standard :slight_smile:

I will try it out as soon as i have some time and hardware. At the moment i only have a pile of old stuff. But maybe it’s interesting to try some older hardware with this great distro! Big fan of Ubuntu and tried out al lot of lightweight windowmanagers and stuff. Shall i keep you posted off my findings? Anyway big compliments!!!