A Proper Keymap for Blender

The other issue with Alt+RMB can be solved, despite this keymap not officially supporting pen tablet. But this issue, with Shift+RMB release can’t. I reported inability to apply brush setting change on a mouse button release as a a bug, and I was perplexed to see it immediately closed, being told it was a “feature request” and getting shit for posting feature requests on bug tracker.

According to BF official stance, inability to apply brush settings on right mouse button release (but ability to do so on a keyboard key release as well as left and middle mouse button release) is not a bug, and changing it would be a new feature. Yes, I am as much pissed about it as you probably are :slight_smile:

Yeah, I can already see how easy it will be to rally up people in RightClickSelect to vote for a new shiny feature of “An ability to adjust brush settings using right mouse button without a need to click”…

This is the best keymap I’ve seen so far! I tried the industry compatible for awhile but too much were missing and it felt very incomplete… So I tried to modify the default blender one but that was a pain as well. I was close to giving up on Blender until I found this keymap tbh. This keymap just makes sense to me, there’s been several times where I didn’t even know the keybinding and just hit what felt right and it worked!

The only issue I’ve found is that I can’t left click on some UI controls anymore, the one’s I’ve found are:

1. Can’t click on the dropdown arrows in the Scene Outliner.
  2. Can’t sort files by clicking the name/date/size top bar in the file explorer.
  3. Can’t right click on files in the file explorer.

It’s not a huge issue, but it would be nice to fix these if possible.

I have not updated keymaps for 2.81 yet, and both Outliner as well as File Explorer were completely overhauled in 2.81. Temporary fix would be opening the keymap .py file and completely deleting the File browser and Outliner sections :slight_smile: Since both new browser and new outliner were overhauled also in terms of common sense input mapping, the Blender default keymap for them will be very close to my customization for this keymap.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I found the standard shortcuts to work better for sculpt brush control with a tablet.
Maybe someone might find helpful this alternative.
Instead of Ctrl+wheelUp/Down for size I prefer F>pen drag to adjust> Tap accept. In the pic are the settings needed to be added in the 3dView/Sculpt section of the keymap. The second is just Shift+F for strenght.

1 Like

I know this keymap has not been updated to work with 2.81 or 2.82 but I’m wondering if anyone else is having issues getting the Tweak tool to work on either of those versions? I’ve tried on a fresh Blender install using only this keymap and the included addon and Tweak just won’t work for me. RMB does nothing until release, upon which it just opens the popup menu.

Anyone have the same issue, and if so, know how to fix it?

EDIT: Tagging @rawalanche as the author of this in case they have some ideas on how to fix it. :slight_smile:

Hey rawalanche, I’m curious if you have any plans to make an updated version of this for 2.83 since so much has changed and 2.83 is nearing completion? I really can’t Blender without this!

Really eager to see an update to this too! This key map really makes blender awesome to use.

1 Like

I do have 2.82 I am in the process of using currently, but have not released yet cause I wanted to make sure it’s solid and also the thread got a bit dead.

I will of course update it to 2.83 as I plan to use it a lot. Although I am curious what exactly where the biggest changes impacting the keymap specifically from 2.82 to 2.83?

2 Likes

I don’t think 2.82 -> 83 had many changes, but the last public release of this was for 2.80 and 80 -> 81 broke a lot of stuff in this keymap. I spent a night once just going through the console errors and fixing a bunch of python API changes (I don’t know python at all, so it was quite a learning experience).

I had posted an issue a few comments up about Tweak not seeming to work on anything after 2.80. I did a lot of testing on that issue before I commented on it and it seemed to just be a change that happened going from 80 to 81.

I honestly can’t use Blender if I’m not using this keymap, so I certainly hope you are able to release an update when you feel comfortable with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay. I will make sure to post another working version once 2.83 is out. I am not sure about tweak though, as it’s dependent on already overlapping LMB behavior. It should be possible if LMB behavior can be override just for the tweak tool. That is my hope, but more often than not there’ some hidden obstacle :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wanted to say thanks for this keymap. I’ve been using it for a year now and love it.

Sculpting has changed a lot between 2.8 and 2.83. If you make any changes could you also keep in mind pen tablets. Currently adjusting brush size is based upon the mouse wheel.

Thanks so much for your efforts and continued efforts. I’ve tried the Industry Standard keymap and it’s just not as efficient as this.

1 Like

Initial 2.83 is here:

It will probably get a few fixed before it works properly, but so far I’ve not encountered any issues. Let me know if you find any so I can fix them ASAP.

3 Likes

I probably won’t get this one since my setup has changed a lot for my needs, but it’s good to see this thread still being updated.

Regarding the orbit angle snap behavior. Do you know if there is a way to set it so that once it snaps to a 90deg axis view (Top/Bottom/Left/Right/Front/Back), it automatically switches to Orthographic, even if the view was currently in Perspective mode?

It should work that way by default in 2.83 as long as auto-perspective is enabled in settings.

1 Like

Amazingly simple, great :slight_smile: And if I wanted to change the keybindings, what’s the name of the command? I’m still running a modified version of this keymap, so it’s still by default binded to Ctrl+Alt+LMB, but nothing comes up by searching “orbit angle snap” or those keys.

I was thinking of making it work with Shift instead of Ctrl, so that it resembles ZBrush more, but I’ll roll it back if it somehow doesn’t feel good.

It’s hardcoded. I reported it as a bug but they rejected it. They decide pretty much randomly on these hardcoded things. Sometimes they consider it a bug, other times they don’t. Probably depending on how well the triaging person slept that night.

EDIT: Nevermind, they finally fixed that:

2 Likes

Just downloaded 2.83, and grabbed the initial 2.83 scripts for this and tilde (`) doesn’t enter/exit edit mode, and right mouse button orbits view rather than tweak.

Hi, is there a version for 2.79, I have been using this keymap for 2.8 series but have to revert to 2.79, due to performance and technical issues.

Excellent work and thanks for making the keymap available to us users.

Hey,

two things. The tilde key issue was caused by a bug in 2.83 which broke the toggle mode of the tilde key, and the only way to make tilde key work was to disable the toggle. https://developer.blender.org/T77217
Luckily, that bug was resolved just a day before 2.83 got released, which I did not notice, so I uploaded the keymap without the toggle. I will upload the fixed keymap in a few minutes (same link).

About the second thing. I’ve changed the RMB drag to start viewport fly navigation in select mode, since otherwise in select mode, RMB drag did nothing, and I really liked the Unity/Unreal Engine 4 navigation where dragging RMB in viewport would activate game-like WASD navigation. BUT the issue is that it requires some changes, due the the (usual) Blender’s very poor defaults.

1. Open your blender in a fresh new file.
  2. Select one of the transform tools (Move, Rotate or Scale)
  3. Set “Drag” mode to “Active tool”:
  4. Switch the tool back to select tool so that the scene is like new.
  5. Save it using File>Defaults>Save Startup File

From this point on, RMB drag will adjust the selected tool and use navigation only in select mode.

I am still not sure if to keep this behavior or to remove it, because it requires startup file changes. Not sure the reward is worth the hassle for other people. Let me know.

Nope. There was one but it’s long gone. The 2.79 is ancient version, unusable by today’s standards.