A Script to Skin a Point Cloud (for Blender 2.6x or Later)

ok how about i open a new WIP for testing this in WIP forum
so we can load pic file ect and discuss this there!

thanks

@Hans: Any chance for update? Thank you for info.

Sorry, I have no update worth mentioning yet.

I can’t get it to skin a simple square grid of vertices
 I get errors every time. Can you tell from this screenshot if I’ve done something wrong? I followed the instructions

Attachments

Hi ryan7585,
I see. The error message that you provided says “toggle to Object Mode”, which means, I guess, you’re trying to skin in Edit Mode in Blender. Press Tab key once and try it again, please.

Sorry, forgot to switch for the screenshot. Doesn’t work in Object Mode either-- see attachment

Attachments

doesn’t work in object mode either :frowning:

see atchmt

Attachments

You have your sample grid object as shown in your screenshot. You have to put its Object name into “Target Object” textbox in Point Cloud Skinner interface. If you have used one of Blender default objects, I guess the name will be “Grid”.

see attchmt

Attachments

Okay, now I understood it doesn’t work. There has been a big change of the way of dealing with meshes in Blender 2.63 (BMesh was newly introduced), and there are a lot of changes in Python API.

I will look into those API changes and update the script. Please wait until I finish modifying its code.

thanks, I guess for now I could use an older version of blender?

I developed and confirmed it works on Blender 2.61 at least. Maybe Blender 2.62 will be also okay.

Any news about compatibility with 2.63? I have to admit it would simplify my work a lot.

Hi IMI,

The problem is the part of creating a huge amount of faces in Blender. I’m still not sure the data structure of the face object in Blender 2.63. There is less information on it. I’m looking into the included API source codes like Blender\2.63\scripts\modules\bpy_types.py to learn how to do this. However, I still need time, sorry.

A kind of hackish way I’m working on is using meshlab. If you can get your workflow predictable enough to string together a meshlab script, checkout my meshlab addon in the released scripts section. Its a bit rough, but it may get you through until Hans has a little more freetime.

Hi patmo141,

Thank you for your workaround information. I’m curious about how meshlab skins a pointcloud and its performance. Do you have any comments comparing this script to meshlab?

I haven’t used meshlab yet, and this is a good time to start with your meshlab script. But first, fixing the problem of my script :slight_smile:

Hi @domlysz,

Thank you for your information. It seems to be similar.
I’m curious, how do you solve the non-invertible problem of skinning?

Hi Hans, do you have any news about this script?

I recently got a very helpful comment on YouTube

I will work to see if changing ‘mesh.faces’ to ‘mesh.tessfaces’ works or not.ï»ż Sorry for late response.

I’m fixing now