Adding IK rigging to Daz Studio characters

As I’m sure a lot of people know, one of the Achilles Heels of Daz Studio from an animation point of view is the lack of a working IK system.

Has anybody experimented with taking DS models, exporting to Blender, and adding IK rigging to them? My dream shot would be to be able to do that, create animations in Blender using “proper” IK, and then be able to export those animations back to DS for rendering there. (The latter would probably work as BVH.) It’s the question of adding IK rigging to the DS rigging in a way that won’t screw up the ability to go in the other direction that has me asking.

Look here. DAZ Importer

There is an option after import to convert the Daz rig to Rigify. Not sure about going back into Daz though.

Yes, I know about the Daz Importer. But once you convert the rig, I don’t think there’s any way to reverse the process. That’s why I was wondering about (for lack of better term) an “IK add-on to the Daz rig.” (which would leave all the Daz rigging in place so you could export.)

Well, I don’t really see the need to go back to Daz for animation and/or rendering since that would be taking a step backwards. Maybe you could clarify.

Sigh. Please let’s not devolve this into a “which program is better” argument.

Suffice it to say that I’m involved with two projects that have already made a significant investment in renders created using DS, and thus aren’t going to scrap all of that to switch to Blender for rendering.

The primary issue is that we want to include some animations, and the tools in DS aren’t great for that. So the idea is to see if there’s a better tool to create the figure animations, but still use DS for the rendering so that the animation sequences don’t look “different” from all the rest of the DS-created renders that have already been created. Blender was an obvious tool to look at for that.

So if the sum of your contribution is “DS sucks, you should switch to Blender for everything” then I’m sorry, but you’re not helping me.

1 Like

https://smutba.se/ : this is a good resource for you beware heavy adult content and they have been using the build a bod I have on this site and blendrig a lot on what they are doing over there. but they have renaming scrip tools and so on also but it is of coarse a total rework and seems after further reading your goal is to maintain the work product you already have … probable a waste of your time. guess I should have read more before my comments.

Whoa there… simmer down… I wasn’t suggesting DS was bad, just that I didn’t understand why you would use it over Blender for animation/rendering. That’s why I asked for clarification. Now that you’ve explained it, I understand perfectly. You needn’t make assumptions about my loyalty to DS – I think it’s a great program.

1 Like

Apologies. Lacking tone of voice, hopefully you can understand why comments like “taking a step backwards” could be (mis)interpreted as “Blender bigotry.” I’ve just finished taking a pounding by someone on another site where I asked the same question. They were much less ambiguous about his/her opinions on DS vs Blender, so I was probably a bit oversensitive.