Bezier Curve Trim Extend

Five years ago jimflim release two fantastic addons for CAD-like Trim and Extend operators with Bezier Curves.

Since it no longer seems to be actively maintained, and they are not working with 2.8+ versions, I took the liberty to combine them both into one single addon, and update them to run on Blender 2.82+.

I’m no coder, so I won’t pretend to know how this all works, the internals are mostly a mystery to me, but I can manage to do the trivial legwork. I sneaked in a few other adjustments here and there for modern conveniences like:

1. Adding entries to top menus
  2. Adding entries to curve right-click context menus
  3. I tried to fix a few shortcomings and easy to catch issues but it was just low hanging fruit, there are still lots of corner cases that throw ugly Python error messages.
  4. Add a few modern notifications to the status bar
  5. It now registers by default working keyboard shortcuts, T for Trim and Shift + E for Extend
  6. You can now trim and extend Poly type curves directly. Internally the algorithm still only knows how to work with Bezier curves, but I managed to make it do implicit conversion back and forth on the fly, restoring all you polys to their original type.

BezierCurve_TrimExtend

I updated for personal use but though you might like it as well.
Bezier Curve Trim Extend 2.0 2023 11 17
Addon_DPFR_BezierTrimExtend_2_00.py (23.4 KB)

24 Likes

One an half year… and only one 10 people liked it… como on man. this is awesome tool… a tiny yet most important tool for curve artists… specially for cad background artist.s

3 Likes

To celebrate the release of Blender 4.0 I decided to update my addons with a few minor improvements to mark the occasion. Bezier Curve Trim Extend 2.00 is now out

Bug fixes and improvements

• Made a few minor simplifications to the code here and there for more reliable operation
  • Fixed a shortcoming of the previous algorithm that did not take into account curve radius, so trimming or extending curves would not always keep the correct curve radius

New Features

• Bezier Curve Trim Extend can now work directly with Poly type curves. Internally the algorithm still only knows how to work with Bezier curves, but I managed to make it do implicit conversion back and forth on the fly. It will convert all Poly curves to bezier, complete the operations and restore them to their original state.

Download link in the original post updated.

If you like bezier curve CAD addons, also be sure to check out my new restored Bezier Curve Fillet addon

9 Likes

Awesome 🩷. Thank you for breathing new life to bezier workflow

1 Like