Video Tutorial: https://vimeo.com/channels/823243
An Add-on that I wrote 2 years ago and finally decided to get back to it and try to make it accepted into Blender.
Above link redirects you to Beta version of newer version of my Add-on. I almost completely rewrote the whole code and added a few tweaks. More information about this Add-on in my old post below.
If you prefer old version (more stable, but less fun ) the link is here: Old Version.
My first AddOn
It allows You to do a quick search, when using File Browser (selecting textures, fonts, etc.)
I made it because:
- My girlfriend asked me to
- I wanted to learn how to write Blender Add-Ons.
I didn’t even check if something like this already exists (to not discurage myself), so if it does I’m sorry for taking Your time.
Didn’t plan to put it here, but in the end it actually started to work and I thought that someone may find it useful.
Search input - put there fraze You are looking for
Results - displaying found results
Open automatically - if disabled clicking on result will just put file name in file browser (you need to click “open”, to actually open it), if enabled it automatically opens/uses the file after you click item in Results Box
Hide Extensions - hides extensions
Number of Columns - allows You to chose number of columns in wchich Your results will be displayed.
Hope someone will find it useful. If You have any suggestions how to improve this AddOn’s functionality then feel free to say so
IMPORTANT: I haven’t fully tested it yet. It may contain some bugs.
- Added “Subdirectory Search” option: searches in currently opened folder and it’s subdirectories.
- Now searching through materials, objects, etc. when linking or appending is also possible.
- Added NodeGroup search support. If something else there (when linking) isn’t working please notice me.
- Using * like in windows regular expressions works now, i.e. “.blend", "my.jpg”
- Added icons.
- Added search for directories options.
- You can now look for files even when appending or linking blend data. Though clicking file (with “Open on Click” option) will result in opening files directory in File Browser.
- A few minor tweaks that should improve functionality.
- File Browser filters are applied to search results
- Blender 2.72 compatibility (previous version used with 2.72 would crash when appending data from .blend files).
- Blender 2.74 compatibility