Adobe acquires Allegorithmic

Yeah, it works the same for Resolve and Premiere

1 Like

Interesting. Good to know. I was not able to find out to do that simple thing, so I just dropped it. All I found was this complex trim tool. Didn’t really like how it worked compared to what I am used to.

1 Like

Takes 10 seconds.

And cutting and editing is fast in Resolve. But it is handy to know about some shortcuts.

For example, use [i] and [o] to set cut points, then delete or backspace for a ripple delete or a regular delete leaving a gap.
a quick [i]-[o]-[delete] creates a cut.

The one thing that addled my brain the very first time I tried to work with Resolve: unless you click IN the timeline setting in and out points for editing the timeline will not work. It will only delete clips.
So: set in [i] and out [o] points, and ensure that timeline editing is active by clicking in the timeline - it should visually mask clips then.

I found editing in Resolve fast and effective so far. And it doesn’t slow down even with hundreds of cuts (which I may have at times).

2 Likes

That is already 10x more complex than it needs to be which is why I never switched. But thanks for sharing.

Ah wait, you mean like this?

[ALT][SHIFT] drag a clip.

1 Like

Why the need for a short cut?

I just open Vegas and start editing. Done, No key shorts to know about or perform. My Video? That is Vegas default. LMB drag. That’s it.

Give my left hand a rest for when I use Bleder…lol

So now we are down to two times more complicated…lol

But seriously it is good to see. I never got that far. Thanks for showing me. :slight_smile:

Depends on how you cut. I almost never use fades or dissolves when cutting - only in very particular circumstances. Just check out almost any film out there: 99% regular straight cuts. (Unless it’s a Star Wars film, of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

I’d rather have the software NOT think for me in this case. Dissolves ought to be approached with caution in my opinion.

I did work with Vegas a long time ago (still have a Humble license, or something lying around). Is it possible to turn off that default cross-fade behaviour in the preferences? I’d hate that to be the default in my cutting flow.

1 Like

You realize I was partially in jest. I was not trying to force you into justifying why it works that way.

Vegas stays out of your way. You focus on editing. By default everything snaps to the ends. You want a dissolve push harder.

I like how that works. But it is good to see there is at a way to do that, if less intuitive and ergonomic in Resolve.

And honestly it was helpful. Thanks!

I used Vegas for years, then tried DaVinci Resolve. Nice erasing masking audio tools but needlessly clicky (mainly because it tries to speak Apple/Adobe). If audio mastering is not essential I’d recommend Filmora X. Uncluttered current gen UI, intuitive asset based workflow, almost zero learning curve for Vegas users.

1 Like

I would add that if I had to I would use Resolve especially for Fusion. But I was looking for a Vegas replacement. And your posts did help with the Resolve issue.

What I would say to the rest of your comments is this.

Think of walking around with a bunch of chains and blocks tied around your ankles for years.

Then one day they come off. There would be this sensation of floating and you would feel much less grounded and free. It would be unsettling at first and you might have the temptation to run or move fast when you should not or you might find yourself accidentally moving to fast and bumping into things.

But eventually you’d settle back into a normal human experience.

That would be like using Vegas afet all this time using other clunky apps.

It happened to me when I first started.

But since then they have given editors much more subtle snapping and alignment tools built right in by default.

Where Vegas lacks is in not keeping up with other professional standards and it is a bit crashy.

But the user experience is #1 for bessic editing in my experience.

Yeah was looking at that because my gut was telling me Final Cut was going to be the Vegas alternative was looking for.

I am skeptical though. Does it have robust professional features…? I’ll have to look into it more.

You have to understand the workflow they are going for. Save and save as in gimp are just for saving your unfinished projects, not for saving the final image. It wouldn’t make sense for that to use any format other than their own since its meant to preserve editability and could save data that doesn’t exist in other programs. In blender terms its like saving a .blend.

The export option is for saving the final result, so that can be in any format your want, even .psd if you need that format. It’s more like saving the rendered image in blender. However, I should mention that even though you can open and save .psd in gimp, it doesn’t support layer styles, and I think some of the layer blending options work differently, so you’ll want to be careful of what you add to the project file if you open and save it in photoshop. Krita has support for layer styles, so it might be better to use that for making .psd files.

1 Like

I think the point is that this is understood. But that Save As from an image editor is usually to export to another format. In PS you maintain the PSD format but save as. Export in Photoshop is reserved for more specific cases.

I think the only reasonable truth to why this is so, has something to to with how the application was programed or to do with one of those tasks to make Save As the same as “export” non-trivial to implement as it is in PS. Just a guess.

I have nothing against Adobe itself… besides for two times almost lose deadlines because some bug with CC login. :slight_smile:

That said, I just want to support anything that imposes a way to avoid a complete market dominance and monopoly. We already have entire industries based on Adobe products.

3 Likes

That’s not necessarily true. I have some vague memory of using a commercial image editor that had the same convention (maybe it was fireworks pre-adobe or something). Well in either case, I personally feel that the way file saving in gimp works atm makes the most sense because there is clear logic for when you want to save your progress versus export the final result. On export gimp even lets you save changes over the last file exported with one click.

1 Like

I too have issues with how GIMP saves files (probably muscle memory).

I did go ahead and pay for the perpetual licenses for both Substance Painter and Designer, although now I’m stuck with version 2019.3. Even that is not so bad as I never did use all of the functionality anyways.

An interesting turn of events with 3D-Coat for the new version just coming out. They are going to have far more purchasing options than Substance had before Adobe purchased them. They have also did some major changes to the interface and added some more tools. I have an educational license, but thinking that I will do one of the pay till you own it options when it comes out.

Our next-gen version of 3DCoat comes with an array of new innovative features and tools, all to make your production process faster and smoother. A completely new Brush Engine, rich Curves Toolset, Low- Poly Modeling, Smart Retopo, New GUI, Sculpt Layers are just a few things to mention. Check out 3DCoat’s 2021 feature set and watch the video demonstrations presented on our website.

One important change in the licensing policy is that 3DCoat 2021 will become practically FREE to learn and practice for as long as you wish! Once the fully functional 30-day trial expires, you will be able to continue using the program in the so called “Learning Mode”, where you can save your creations in the internal .3b format, and even export your models into external formats with limitations, free-of-charge. This should remove the boundaries for the artists who are new to 3DCoat and would like to spend more time learning the capabilities of the program before making a decision on the license.

Speaking about the Licensing Policies with 3DCoat 2021, we have those updated and we’ll be introducing more licensing options with regards to the Individual and Company customers, as well as licenses for Universities and Students. When it comes to the Purchasing options, we’ll have it all from the good-old one-time-purchase permanent license to the various renting plans, and even something unique as a Rent-to-Own option, where we offer the customers to buy out their permanent license through renting and paying out the license by installments. This will be a great way to get a permanent license without the need to pay a sizeable amount of money at once!

Those who already own a previous version of 3DCoat (V2-V4) will be able to upgrade to 3DCoat 2021, starting from July 5th once the 2021 version becomes available. The cost of the upgrade will vary, depending on the license type and the time of purchase, but usually it will be a fraction of the full license cost (or even free in case you purchased a 3DCoat V4 Professional license after 1 August 2020 till 5 July 2021 and get upgraded to 3DCoat 2021 Individual license). With the upgrade you will receive 12 months of free program updates.

2 Likes
1 Like

Ah, I misunderstood. Text alone often fails to convey the subtleties.

That’s how I felt after using PhotoLine for the first time compared to Photoshop (not in all areas, but in a number of key ones important to my workflow).

It was an eye-opener. I couldn’t understand why others hadn’t thought of the brilliance of a negative layer opacity, for example.

I’ll look into Vegas once more - I do have a license somewhere lying about.

How is the performance though? Does it handle hundreds of small cuts without performance hits? That’s why I switched to Resolve.

In this sense my personal favourite is again how PhotoLine solves it: an option in the preferences allows for native sidecar source files.

Which means that when I open a JPG file, edit it, add layers, add adjustments layers, and so on, and save it with CTRL-S, PhotoLine overwrites the original JPG file AND also saves a new PLD native source file alongside with it.

If this JPG file is opened in PhotoLine, PhotoLine automatically detects that a PLD sidecar version is present in the same folder, and opens that instead of the JPG.

So it offers a seamless transparent method to work directly with the exported versions, but actually creates and maintains fully layered native source versions in the background.

Sheer genius. There is no need to distinguish anymore between an exported version and the native format file version.

(Mind: this is an option - PhotoLine offers many more ways to export work, including the excellent external app round-trip editing feature.)

1 Like

I probably should clarify again. I am not necessarily advocating Vegas aa a professional go-to standard for performance or anything else.

It is buggy, crashes alot and has one nasty bug when hardware acceleration is turned on. The larger your project the more these things turn up.

Finally I realized there was a reason it was rarely turning up in comparison articles anymore. One recent “best editor of 2020” did not even mention it.

And I am still ready for a change I was just trying to explain how hard it is to switch to an editor that is much less fluid. And of course time is limited these days with managing a team and everything else. So much to learn and little time. I was not able to find a replacement so I just went back to Vegas for now.

That all said only Pro Tools has better sounding audio and features from my experience. Sound is still a number one reason to stick with Vegas. And there are no modes it all works in the same editor.

I should note I originally started using Vegas as a DAW (without MIDI) back in 2000. It had a lot of promise and it just sounded great. I updated to Vegas Video when that came out and when it matured enough I switched over from Premier. It was way ahead of it’s time for sound but never as much for video other than the consistent fliuid editor. Video eventually did start to mature under Sony. These days I don’t think it is very relevant.

Oh for example something it can’t do still is load sequences of .exr which to say is lame would be an understatement. (you have to pull a string on them in 1 frame stills and group them) Nor does it support some formats it should.

I don’t want my software trying to dictate what my workflow should be, I want it to be quick and efficient, and I’m really only going to save files in file types that I need. Not everything I do in PS gets saved as a PSD either, but Photoshop doesn’t fight me on it. A layerless file can be saved over in half a second with CTRL+S and a copy of a layered file can be saved as a png, jpg, tiff, or another file format that doesn’t require specialized software just as efficiently as saving any other copy of the file.

I regularly need to save flattened versions of WIPs as pngs or jpgs while processing images, and pretty much always need a flattened final version, and sometimes won’t know whether it’s a WIP or final draft until I’ve saved it and done something with it (used it in external software, printing, uploading it, send it to someone for approval), and I don’t see any good reason why it needs a special separate methodology from a regular save as that adds pointless complexity and time. And for some images, I may not ever need any copies of the layered file, and some won’t even have layers (though when I do, I stick to the native format instead of PS to ensure full support - after all I don’t save my odt’s as docx’s unless I’m required to submit a Word version of a document/essay).

In 3D an extra step for rendering makes sense because the original file is not an image. For a file that is already an image this isn’t true, and most image editing software works fine without it. It’s just one of those things that keeps photoshop more efficient to work in.

2 Likes