Adobe acquires Allegorithmic

I guess time will tell. :slight_smile: All I can say is that Iā€™ve witnessed mergers and acquisitions in this industry for 20 years. Some were for the good, some not so much, and they almost always come with some major changes, but at the end of the day, if thereā€™s a product demand, itā€™ll be met one way or another.

EDIT: Also, you tell Adobe Iā€™ve still got 10 months of free Painter updates coming, and donā€™t forget it! Or my 200 some odd Substance Source points! :smile:

2 Likes

until you read their ā€œvoiceā€ page, of course, and you figure out that they probably wont be a fan of anything the average artist will make

So, to all those angry people! What is your plan? Bow and keep using it right?

Too much talk and not enough action. ā€œappearance without substanceā€ if you get the pun.

Well this is day 1, the paperwork was literally signed this morning. Give us a bit of time and weā€™ll be happy to prove them wrong :slight_smile:

I hope everyoneā€™s fears prove groundless. As I mentioned above I have personal experience of being in a small company being bought over by a large one. It didnā€™t end well for most of the employees of the small one.

Butā€¦ I am also a fan of Adobeā€™s products, if not their licensing system. I own perpetual licences of Painter and Designer and a full Adobe Cloud membership. I just wish they had more viable flexible options in between Photography Plan and Full Plan.

That voice page just guaranteed Iā€™m buying 3D Coat, thanks.

2 Likes

To be honest, Adobe can easily steamroll its competitors if it focused the full weight of its R&D towards making their apps. lightweight and stable with very high performance, then add that cherry being good pricing and an option to outright buy a perpetual license instead of rental being the only option.

However, Adobe isnā€™t doing that, and that is why a lot 3D artists are trying to get away from the company. What is needed is a long-term assurance that SD and SP wonā€™t end up like XSI or the Corona Render engine.

Though I am not sure how much say you will have in that, because now your job depends on the decisions of those at Adobe Management as well as the stockholders.

In my opinion, this is a good thing and can be seen as a major reason why they are a rather ethical company compared to ones like Autodesk. Going into detail would run afoul of the forum rules and derail the thread, so I will stop there.

3 Likes

I just hope my Indie licenses on steam are safe.

RIP.

F

Indie licence on steam is upgrading only1 year
and then *.sbs files are not compatible
I had this problem

Oh manā€¦

Just wondering if it would be a good time to buy a perpetual license now, before they remove them?

There is no rush, nothing is going away anytime soon and if licensing changes happen, everybody will be warned well in advance :slight_smile:

SP become a really big deal in game development and it become my everyday software. And SD one of the most fun software I ever use. I had big hopes for the Alchemist.

RIP bro.

Look, we donā€™t doubt your good intentions, itā€™s just that youā€™re no longer in any position to speak for the company. This guy is:

7 Likes

If thatā€™s what they told you when they made the acquisition offer and you believed them, Iā€™ve got a bridge to sell you.

Adobeā€™s interest in Allegorithmic comes from wanting to control Substanceā€™s market segment. Youā€™ve created a piece of software that in less than a decade has become an integral part of the CG content creation pipeline in film/tv and games, in both major studios and indies. Buying Substance locks those people in as Adobe customers.

This is the same reason theyā€™ve bought every other piece of technology theyā€™ve bought. Itā€™s easier and in the long run cheaper to buy a potentially competing softwareā€™s customers than it is to make software that competes.

8 Likes

Gas in CA = $4.30 a gallonā€¦

If I do some quick conversion math, itā€™s $5.20 over here. An the gas prices are low now with ā‚¬ 1.60 a liter :wink:

But I agree on our comment, some pricing is just getting ridiculous.

My plan is to continue to use the perpetual licenses I already have until I can find a suitable replacement. Whether I will find this functionality in Blender, Quixel or somewhere else, I donā€™t know yet.

Iā€™m probably not going to upgrade Substance as I just donā€™t want to do business with Adobe if I can help it. The way I was treated before as a customer precludes it.

1 Like

whats about 3d-coat? could be a good choice in the future

1 Like

Itā€™s not bad on paper, but it didnā€™t click for me like most software does. Obtuse and disorganized, to the point where youā€™re afraid to touch anything because you never know whatā€™s going to happen. At least thatā€™s my impression after spending just a few hours with it. Maybe thereā€™s some kind of logic to it with the right mindset, and I just donā€™t see it. I donā€™t know. Iā€™d be happy to give it another chance if I have the opportunity, maybe theyā€™ve improved it.

3d-coat is also not a replacement for Substance Designer at all.

maybe the combination of quixel + 3d-coat :slight_smile:

still not a replacement for substance designer

definitely painter though