allegorithmic Batchtool baking addon (not free :( )

Yes it its, and it works with latest Substance Command line tools.

There will be an update for 2.8?

2 Likes

Nope, sorry. There was not enough customers for me to support this addon any more. I think there was maybe 1-2 sales in last half year. Also allegorithimic never improved loading times of fbx files, so that was not as fast as I wish it could.
I still plan to support baking in :

But it is still WIP, and may not work. I supports baking group instances made with Group Pro so that is cool.

1 Like

Just to let you know, here a free addon EasyBake - Tiny and easy texture baking UI which also support collections (give a look) , just to use as a reference.
One thing I liked from batchtool was the paint-away of the skew effect, the send-to-SP and the baked material preview on the mesh(es).

When I mentioned collection baking I meant collection instances baking like on image below:

The red-blue objects are empties with collection instance option.
By default blender would treat those red-blue objects as empties - so they would not bake at all.
BatchTools baker supported baking those empties instances, and skew maps. Cycles baker has not skew map support.
For skew maps I wanted to test this technique: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ba3Qav , to get rid of skewing.
But it requires baking ‘object space normals’, to tangent space, and blender does not support it afaik.

Yup, a similar trick used by Warren Marshall for baking better and non-skew normals. Too bad Blender doesn’t convert object space to tangent (Blender baker sucks in many areas, I wonder why it’s not a priority for the devs).
About collection baking I wasn’t refering to your implementation, I mean the adding choice to ‘batch’ the baking of multiple pairs of LP-HPs, which also un-clutter the interface: you put the lowpolys in a different collection than the collection used for highpolys (but each object must be correctly renamed so addon can recognize each pair) ; place the right collection on his corresponding label and press bake, the addon will manage the bake of each pair.
I ask this because one of the minus of batchtool baker was the fast cluttering of the UI and tedious setting of each pair when your model was made with more than 4 pieces.

This is one reason I bake/love to bake in Marmoset Toolbag currently. You can do real-time skew painting/corrections, without having to do the mesh tessellation/extra steps. I wish Substance Painter finally had that option in their baking system and not only in Designer… which is very odd.