Amy Lillya - Sketchbook

I did some tests with a single point light

Regular light without any softening, 10cm light:

10cm Sphere around the light, 10cm light:

10cm Sphere around the light, 1cm light:

Really big sphere around the light, 10cm light:

Cone around the objects, 10cm light:

As expected the amount of softening is proportional to the size of the translucent mesh. Putting it around the light let you control the softening amount per light, but you don’t get the effect for the HDRI. The cone gives a smoother appearance.

10 Likes

Seems you became a master in lighting and scenes creation !

I can’t wait to see more frome you :smiley:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

I’m modeling some fans for a model pack, I’m almost done with the first highpoly.

I started with a blockout of the model. I’m modeling it based off a real fan I have so it’s very easy to get the measurements

I made the cage with the traditional method of using an array with a rotated empty as the offset, it’s very limited but it’s simple to do. I tried using a custom geo node array I made but it was too limited for this use case, I need to redo the nodegroup later.

Progress on the motor box and the buttons at the base. Some details I’m gonna do directly in the texturing process to not complicate the highpoly too much.

And finally the blades. I modeled them flat and used two simple deform modifiers to bend them.

10 Likes

The topology alone is beautiful in and of itself.

5 Likes

I decided to work on this now since I’ll be using it a lot, it was surprisingly easy to figure out!

Instead of using a circle primitive to control the rotation of the arrays, I just duplicated and rotated them directly by converting the geometry to an instance and using the duplicate elements node.

The rotation axis is either 0 or 1 to define in which axis the array will rotate around;
The pivot offset is ignored once you set a pivot object. Sadly the object can’t be an empty or it won’t work;
The node also outputs the index and the count of instances, which can be used with shader nodes for example
blender_ucY97dXp33

I’m very happy with this apart from the empties not working. If anyone wants to use it here’s the blend file:
circular array node.blend (187.1 KB)

6 Likes

Progress on the second fan model

11 Likes

Fans is fun to do.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of this sketchbook.

5 Likes

It is pretty awesome, good stuff.

2 Likes

I wasn’t feeling like modeling the third fan today so I figure I might as well start with the lowpoly versions.

First lowpoly is modeled but not UV mapped yet. I went and simplified the blades further after I took this screenshot. This mesh is about 900 vertices:

10 Likes

2nd fan highpoly is done. I still want to do one more fan before I move on to texturing.

9 Likes

That’s FAN-TASTIC!

…I’ll get my coat.

6 Likes

I’m finally working on this again. 3rd fan highpoly is done so hopefully I’ll pick up the pace from now on.

10 Likes

Hello!
I had a big change of plans and decided to redo all the fans again in a different way.

This time I’m modeling all of the details using just enough geometry to support the shapes, along with custom normals using the weighted normal modifier to correct the shading. This way I won’t have to use a normal map to fake the details and the models will be much lighter than the highpoly versions.

Here’s the first fan:

And the second fan:

I just started remaking the 3rd fan. I’m pretty happy with the new versions but this project is taking such a long time and I’m getting sick of it to be honest :smiling_face_with_tear:

12 Likes

And now I finished the 3rd!

I might come back later and model a very basic motor for each fan, since you can look inside through the openings in the back. But for now I’ll move on to texturing and shading.

8 Likes

Great grates, I’m blown away by these fans!

3 Likes

I’ve made decals for all the logos and stickers:

(as you can see I’m not much of a graphic designer, but I think it does the job :smile:)

These decals are applied on a floating mesh pushed sightly above of the original. They use a separate material with transparency in some places:

To make the designs, Instead of learning how to use a 2D vector program, I just used what I’m familiar with:

11 Likes

I had a lot of things happening last week and forgot to post here, but I’ve finished the fans and published them all to Sketchfab and to Blender Market.

6 Likes

Yay! They’re really excellent. Hope they sell well!

2 Likes

I’ve made this art of my love as a cute axolotl!
She made a pun with her name and I immediately wanted to model it for her :blush:

7 Likes