Analdin's WIPs [Currently: First Character]

Yeah, that looks good. I’m not sure how accurate you are wanting to get with the model, but there is a body line missing there. Sorry, it just really catches my eye.

I went out in the garage and snapped some quick photos to show what I mean. My car is a '73 Road Runner, but that part of the body is exactly the same as a '71. I’ll attach the redline here to explain the body line around the rear glass. There is a sharp bodyline that goes around the rear window (in red below) and a soft body line around the quarter panel (green lines below).

Just thought I would help with some basic details of the body design. Like I said, the rest of the model is good. I think this part is the only spot that seems to lack anything.

Yes, the model isn’t accurate because I’m taking shapes and inspiration from a few other muscle cars aswell. I tried that round back window (the harsh transition you mentioned earlier was a result of that experiment), but it didn’t look right.

As for the missing sharp edge around the rear mud guard, I tried that too earlier (that and the big kind of mudguards the Mustang '67 Fastback has), and I wasn’t really satisfied with how it looked.

Thanks a lot for the photos and explanation, I wish I had one of those :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s a fun car. I drive it every day. :slight_smile:

Your model looks good and I think it really follows the direction you describe. It’ll be nice to see this one finished!

I finished the body’s mesh today, 20472 faces, my budget was 20500 for the body without wheels, I’m pretty satisfied with that.
Here are two huge renders of the car’s parts, separated into groups:

I didn’t embed the images, since BA scales them down and compresses them to a point where embedding them makes no sense due to detail loss.

Unwrapped the car today and started texturing.

Texturing is almost done, did a few test screenshots with different body colors to see how well the textures fit.

I realy like your work on cars, keep it up :wink:

Thanks, PrototypeX!

I worked on the wheels today.

I rendered another turntable with the finished textures, OpenGL as always.

I’m not sure about the rims yet, it feels like they don’t have that 70’s era feel I was going for, but I have seen photos of 70’s muscle cars that had those and it didn’t look off there. This blog in particular convinced me to try out the rims.

The next update will be when I start the paintjob (I kinda want to include a decal on the bonnet, similar to the Trans Am’s phoenix graphic), and the finished car will be posted in the finished section. After that, I’ll probably start gathering references for my first character.

//edit: Somehow, I completely forgot about adding door grips.

Started with a paintjob. I decided to go with a simplistic one to accentuate the shapes, because the phoenix/bird decal didn’t look all that nice.