Animating parameters: no F-curves in graph editor?

Hi. I was attempting to animate a texture while in Cycles and I inserted a keyframe for the Size parameter of a cloud texture - this is for a displacement modifier. No F-curve appears in the graph editor for this (and many other parameters). Is this something that has just not been implemented yet? Or is there a way to get an F-curve to show up for these that I am unaware of? Also, if anyone knows of another way to animate a displacement texture while in Cycles that would be helpful. Thanks.

Hmm… in this case, if the texture is not attached to anything else (i.e. a material, lamp, or world), chances are that it will not be able to be included alongside anything else it is attached to.

Workaround: Create a dummy material, and attach it to that.

The texture is attached to the displacement of the object - does that not count? Also, not sure what you mean by attaching it to a dummy material. In Cycles the texture is separate from the material, if I get your meaning, and can not be attached from a material to the displace modifier. Hopefully I understood what you were saying :slight_smile:

I just encountered the same problem a few minutes ago. Where are the curves for the keyframes set in the Node Editor? :confused: I knew it was possible to see them but it took me a while to remember how to do it…

Here come the curves! :smiley:

That may work with the node editor but nothing appears for the displace texture, even though there are two keyframes set.

Which field exactly are you trying to animate?

I just can’t animate the size of the texture used by a Displace modifier. Blender says “Try using a keying set”. (I don’t even know what it is!) On the other hand, any kind of texture size animated from the Node Editor is visible in the Graph Editor, whether it’s directly the scale value in a procedural texture or the scale in a Mapping node.

Edit:
Now I know what a keying set is but it doesn’t work for the scale of a Displace modifier texture. No dedicated option in the right-click menu… Any way, it should be visible in the Graph Editor. It works in the tutorial I just saw.

Size parameter of a cloud texture used on a Displacement modifier within Cycles