Animation Nodes

Hi there,

I tried to get this concept working and I found out some points to take care of.

1. Take the vertces from the Mesh info node and feed them into the vertex offset node.
  2. The Sound Falloff needs a Frame info (Time Info) to walk through the sound and generate the animated Falloff.

Well thats about it. Hope I could help.

Hi BlenderWillie,
thanks a lot, that solved the issue!

Maybe someone can help out here.
I try to get the vertex normal as a tilt curve rotation to align a curve to a face or better to edge.
This is my setup i tried at first to get the tangents guid by shifting the vertex location list but i fail so i use a curve to get the tagent vector for each vertex.
The curve twist method is z-up

Maybe someone got the same problem and find a better solution.

curve_align_mesh_02.blend (660.7 KB)

Is there an updated guide to animation nodes? Iā€™m just getting into it, and in some of the tutorials Iā€™m following the nodes are different. For example, the ā€œsound bakingā€ node is completely gone

I was following another tutorial that used the 3d viewer

But mine looks like this

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 2.58.49 PM

Should I downgrade to an older version? Or are these nodes getting phased out?

Hey Sarge,
youā€™re right. Animation Nodes had some changes in the last time.

The documentation mostly refers to V2.0. Iā€™m using 2.1.5 with Extra nodes now.

If you connect the 3d Viewer node to some vector data youā€™ll get the appearance you described above. (color and size selectable). (Donā€™t know why this isnā€™t always the same.)

The sound nodes had some streamlined changes too. I recommend to check out some tutorials from Chis.P. He made a series of videos that refer to sound nodes in blender 2.8.1 and I find them very instructive and helpful.

This part is about the AN basics:

This part and the next one is about An sound nodes:

Hope this will help you along.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I just tried connecting data to the 3d viewer and it worked! Such a noob mistake lol. Iā€™m going to go through Chris Pā€™s tutorials today to learn the sound nodes and any other wisdom he shares. Thank you!

1 Like

Is there a Blender 2.8x version for the Archimator avaible?

Hello all, Iā€™m just getting started with AN. It looks like the perfect tool for the job, but itā€™s kind of overwhelming. There is a specific thing iā€™d like to achieve; an array of cubes, which eventually fall into place, in the shape of something i still have to decide. ideal thing would be a ā€˜ā€˜filledā€™ā€™ curve, which could be the shape of a country which i can easily manipulate afterwards.

i can find alot of array tutorials, but most of them are just simple square-shaped and more focused on the falloff part, instead of the shape of the array itself. not really sure where to start, can someone push me in the right direction?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=animation+node+rigid+body

1 Like

In case you feel like taking a shortcut - I believe Animax can accomplish this. I think it uses Animation Nodes guts just dumbed down for ez access.

1 Like

I have 2 questions about animation nodes;

1 How can i rotate a text after using the offset matrix? What i want is rotate the text entirely, not the individual letters.

2 How can i add some secondary motion to the animation, without using the fcurves (ie back, linear etc) nor softbodies?

Thank you very much!

1 How about this:

Remember to uncheck the ā€œUse Matrix Listā€ checkbox.

2 How about this. Using a transform matrix node:

:wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Using the second option how can i animate the rotation? I tried with keyframe the rotation, but it does not work!

Hey everyone, hope this is the right place to ask this. Iā€™m trying to figure out how to do a python dictionary in AN. I have a script sub program that is using a Dict, and I want to output it from the nodes. But this doesnā€™t seem to be a thing?

If itā€™s not supported, is there some other method to do a list of text lists? (other than converting a list to a string, then converting it back later with separators.)

You could use a Matrix Animation Node and connect it instead of the compose matrix node. Animation Nodes does not require the use of keyframes in most cases.

Its kind of hard to switch the mindset to AN If youā€™re used to other workflows. But its worth to switch over.

Does anybody know if thereā€™s a way to do boolean operations (e.g. difference) within Animation Nodes?

Iā€™m aiming to use (hundreds of) procedurally generated geometries (via the method in this video) and have them be the difference boolean object for another mesh.
The only thing I could figure to do is take the generated mesh objects and destructively join them to use the result as the difference object. Iā€™d like to be able to non-destructively do this.

How to simulate secondary motion. But not using soft bodies. With houdini and MOPs, you can use the spring modifier, same with Maya and mash. Is there a way of simulate this with animation nodes?

Thank you

1 Like

Does anyone know why this simple node setup does not work as in generating a simple array of Cubes?

Using 1.2.7 on 2.82

EDIT: Never mind, because the Cube was pretty much an empty mesh due to object output.

Does pycharm works in animation node scriptnode.
I set pycharm up and i can read and print in the blender text editor.
The blender console prints all correct only animation node script node dont recognize what the text editor reads from pycharm.

Hi guys, hereā€™s another AN example nodetree, ready to use procedural text animation using falloff !

the nodetree

and the github with all examples :
https://github.com/samytichadou/animation_nodes_examples/tree/master/Blender_2_8

cheers !

3 Likes