Anybody didnt see Up yet?

That is what scares me…no taste, no sense of what is beautiful or good storytelling.

Zarnik,

I think you need to work on your approach to life
and your attitude. I read a great deal of negativity
in your words.

I can get joy out of watching even The Last Air Bender Cartoon
because it is plain funny and well made.

I do not need guns and explosions, or big political thrillers for
a movie to get my attention.

Life is to short to be too serious.

Those movies are for fun and not for provoking thoughts.

Judging by what you said I am close to say that 99% of
Hollywood production is dull and repetitive then as well.

But it is all ENTERTAINMENT!

So enjoy it!

That is what scares me…no taste, no sense of what is beautiful or good storytelling.

Ah, an expert.

Then I’m sure you realize those ‘movies-for-4-year-olds’ are filled with all kinds of strong juxtaposing. Something many people are very sensitive for. With the right juxtaposing even the biggest cliche can be extremely entertaining.

And movies like How to Train your Dragon, Up & Toy Story 3 make me feel for the characters, on different levels. If a 3D animation can do that, I will call that good storytelling.

That tells us of what kind of world you are living in. Only adults with the minds of 4 year olds would feel for those rediculously pathetic characters. Your brains haven’t developed into adulthood yet, you are still living in your childhood. Go out and get some real inspiration for what is beautiful then come back and tell me UP is the greatest animated masterpeiece ever…:no:

That tells us of what kind of world you are living in. Only adults with the minds of 4 year olds would feel for those rediculously pathetic characters. Your brains haven’t developed into adulthood yet, you are still living in your childhood. Go out and get some real inspiration for what is beautiful then come back and tell me UP is the greatest animated masterpeiece ever…:no:

I am merely mentioning juxtaposing in some of the most popular animations out there. A very simple yet interesting observation. Next to that I’m stating some of my personal experiences.

And you’re replying with these insults and straw man (did I ever say Up is the greatest animated masterpiece ever?).

So this is supposed to make your opinion more valuable?

Zarnik, I think it is you who hasn’t grown up yet.
You are a ‘late teen’ (in your own words, not mine) who wants to be behave like an adult.
That’s why you couldn’t understand any of those pixar flicks, which, ironically, were criticised (by real critics) for exactly the opposite.

Deemed ‘too arty’ and boring for kids because of the complex relationships between characters, long dialogue-less sequences (Wall-e, Up), storylines with a …story rather than a cheap comedy with pop-culture references written by sitcom writers.
Pixar (until very recently) is the only one than uses animation as a powerful storytelling medium.

I personally consider this scene from Up to be one of the best movie scenes ever.

If you think this is for 4 year olds, wait for a few years.

And yes, that video has 5400 likes and 30 dislikes, just to emphasize that I’m not the only one who thinks that way.

Would also recommend reading this to you…

NOTE: Don’t feel attacked/flamed.
boy, I might need that line in my sig pretty soon!

Wow – what a colossal douchebag.

‘These people have an opinion that differs from mine – Ergo, they have the mentality of a 4 year old’

Yeah right, you keep telling yourself that.

As for the topic at hand, I didn’t personally care much for Up – I was far more impressed with How to train your dragon and Toy Story 3. Toy story 3 in particular had some very intense scenes that I wasn’t expecting to find in a kids film. I think it’s the best film Pixar has released to date.

But again, that’s my opinion…and I won’t be calling anyone a 4 year old should they have the audacity to have a viewpoint that differs from mine.

Eris, thanks for bringing that sequence up. It is truly a great sequence.

As to this debate about the content of films, I mean really, it is easy to be a critic. And we can go back and forth on that kind of thing all day. And we’ll never get anywhere on either side.

If there is any levity due, it is the hard truth that - artistic and technical hurdles aside - it is extremely hard to get a film made. I mean really really impossibly hard to get a project off the ground. The number of projects on the table any given day in Hollywood, is a staggering statistic compared to the films that actually get made. There are a very few privileged people who have enough pull to bring a project to the table and beyond into production. They get there by having done a lot of hard work.

And if you think the people in the position to write the checks are creative geniuses, think again. But to stand in defense of them, imagine it is your daily duty to play Santa Claus with millions of dollars? Then some guy comes in with his “Amazing ground breaking film”, and it is only the 100th time you have heard that this week. It has been slow lately.

What guarantee do you have that this great masterpiece will pull in the box office numbers to justify your salary? If it bombs, it could be your ass!

So you pull out your list of things. Strong (bankable) cast, a safe predictable story that won’t turn most people off. An experienced and preferably recently bankable director, producer and the list goes on. At each point the film that was destined to be a masterpiece is whittled down into something bankable.

If you can survive that cycle and still do something beyond the expected, and some do, then my hat is off. Heck I am impressed that anything gets done at all in that system.

So the answer for the rest of us, if we don’t want to plat that game is to work independently.

And really there is nothing but talent stopping anyone from doing something great these days. Really. So if you don’t like what is on the screen. Then lets see your vision?

Enough banter.

Do something!

Deemed ‘too arty’ and boring for kids because of the complex relationships between characters, long dialogue-less sequences (Wall-e, Up), storylines with a …story rather than a cheap comedy with pop-culture references written by sitcom writers.
Pixar (until very recently) is the only one than uses animation as a powerful storytelling medium.

On the other hand reviews have even said that parts of Toy Story 3 may even be considered too scary for very young kids, which seeing the scenes may lead you to believe they could be too intense for 4 year-olds.

Zarnik: Would you think that such scenes like the one where the toys are about to be incinerated is directed to 4 year-olds?

Also, you don’t happen to be the one who in the last months registered with a username known as Vali didn’t you (your dialogue has some similarities to him and you’re both from Scandinavia)?

While many animated films are aimed at children they also contain jokes/scenes that only adults will get (take Shrek with the jokes about over-compensating for something) because 4 year olds don’t go to the cinema alone.

@Cekhunen: I wouldn’t even know where to begin looking into the Japanese market for CGI, any suggestions? It never crossed my mind to think that I might find something to my tastes there, I’m always on the lookout for new inspirations, cheers for the thought.

As interesting as this observation may be, it is probably better to ask such things via PM or to report your suspicions to the moderation team. The only purpose such an accusation serves in a public thread is to stir up suspicion within the community, and that would not be fair to Zarnik if he were indeed not Vali.

So zarnik got banned too.
was he/she really Vali?
and is a banned member disallowed from joining again?

just wondering…

This describes it pretty well: http://alexquintas.blogspot.com/2010/09/watching-movies.html

lol…I did like the dogs though, especially Doug.

Seen the Pixar short film “Dougs special mission” as well

ahh Up, definitely one of the best films I’ve seen in a while. I love how it was made accessible to both adults and kids. Honestly wasn’t expecting that much from the film when I went to see it but was left feeling truly touched by the themes. Also loved the combination of heart-wrenching affection and comedic elements. A true piece of Pixar magic.