Anything and Everything Automotive

I’ve been working on a painting of my favorite hot rod.

There is no picture, I hope that´s not my internet connection.

Just wanted to share this thread with you guys. His work is just outstanding!
http://www.smcars.net/forums/wip-critique-3d-advanced/38528-tommy-personal-works.html

Wow! Outstanding just doesn’t cover it.

Edit:

I was pleased with how Christine is doing, then I looked at that; I hate you. :stuck_out_tongue:

C’mon your Christine looks great :wink: I am amazed how he is able to do such work in 1 and a half year.

I actually just saw this on Facebook - simply EPIC stuff. And it’s a Porsche, and I kinda like Porsches…a lot. They’re the first make of expensive-and-awesome-looking cars I saw once we moved back to Montreal. Still can’t help but stare at them as they go by :smiley:

Just found some old BMW brochures - I’ve owned 2, and have always been a fan. :slight_smile:

They are of cars somewhere around 10-15 years: 7 series saloon, 3 series saloon, 3 series compact, 5 series saloon, M coupe.

They are all large (except M coupe) very large broshures, but if anyone fancies I’ll see what I can do about scanning them in and uploading.

Going to add the 7 series to my list of cars to model too.

Some decent dimensions, blue print-like information in them.

For example:

and a much larger image.

I did a quick scan then tweaked one of the images as it had been distorted.

Would actually take more care with the scanning process /nod.

Ooh, nice find WB! /high-five

…actually, if we could compile a list of great resources like this (car galleries, news, blueprints for us 3D-geeks, etc), I could modify my original post and include them all, nicely organized and everything. :yes: Not saying we have to dive into that right at this moment, of course, haha

One of my favourites…

Wow, that looks kinda…odd, doesn’t it? :wink: Like someone stuck the back end of a pick-up on a sedan…unique, that’s for sure! I kinda like it though, seems to pull-off the cross-over pretty well*

You have any other examples of unique Australian cars? I’m definitely interested in seeing more :slight_smile: It’s something that’s also lacking here in Canada, the only cars we have are all imports (USA, Japan, South Korean, Germany, Italy and Britain). There used to be Canadian car manufacturers, but they died out when the American cars started becoming more common.

• unlike (at least IMO) the Ford Flex, which to me looks like someone crossed a Mini Cooper with a Hummer H2 :eek: …really not my favourite car, the Flex.

Love this Holden :smiley:
Big’oh V8 and light rear… do I smell some burning tyres?

Weird but kind of nice lookin’;

I’m gonna regret this, goes to google the ‘flex’…

… Well! It’s not exactly ugly, it seems more deserving of the name Hybrid than any car I’ve ever seen.

It reminds me of that old film - forgotten the name sadly, but it’s a horror and the tag-line was something like: “Jeff has a half brother. Half brother, half something else…”

And that is a car, or half a car, and half something else. :stuck_out_tongue:

Note to self: resist, at all costs, any links or car names which, Philippe M, mentions, suggests, or merely alludes too /nod.

That made me actually LOL :smiley:

Here’s an interesting question - what do you think will be the next “generation” of fuel for cars, once we (as in the human race) get over this oil-obsession? Hydrogen, bio-diesel, solar, plug-in electric…?

My bets are on hydrogen fuel-cells. Most abundant element in the universe, and the only output from these cells is water.
ex. : the GM Hy-Wire - I love the concept of the Hy-Wire concept, you can simply swap out the entire top of the vehicle depending on what you need - minivan, pick-up, sedan, sports, etc. James May (from Top Gear) takes it for a spin in this video

EDIT - The Hy-Wire concept is a bit old though (2003/2004 IIRC), and they don’t seem to have done anything with it yet…

Fuel Cells, make sense, although if you think they only produce water, think again. It’s like considering the carbon impact of hybrid cars now, doesn’t take into consideration, manufacturing and disposal costs which are much higher than a tradition petrol guzzler. Hydrogen might be the most abundant element but it’s extremely unstable, meaning it’s rarely available in its natural form. It, of course, likes oxygen, hence water being a good source, but it needs extracting.

I like the idea of fuel cells, but have a feeling ‘bio-fuel’ will have a use either long or short term - basically we grow petrol or its equivalent.

Well, yeah, but that will be true of almost every other fuel we produce… what I meant by water being the output was that it’s the only thing coming out of the “exhaust” :wink:
In “Moon” (great film), though, they’re mining Tritium (H3) on the Moon, since it apparently serves as our main fuel in who-knows-how-long (I can’t remember the year in which the story is set). Could be a possibility…I’m not sure of the whole chemical aspect of it though.

Back to alternative fuels, bio-diesel could maybe serve as a transition fuel - the problem with bio-fuel is that AFAIK they tend to combine it with ethanol, which comes from corn, which in turn takes a lot of land and water to farm and also (IIRC) tends to “kill” the farmland more quickly than other crops. And considering we (as in the human race) tend to go over-board when farming whatever it is we farm, it could cause quite a few problems…

What about nuclear power? :eyebrowlift2:

Not certainly eco fuel :smiley: but cheaper…

Nuclear Power has a bad reputation. Although it seems to be safer than most think - and when it does hit the fan: Chernobyl, and Japan.

Helium 3? Actually deuterium is a possibility, but we’re still experimenting at best with all these other scifi type sources.

I remember reading an article that classified civilisations as type one, two and three; type one efficiently utilised a planet’s energy, two a star system, three a galaxy; I’m probably not remembering this quite right; our level was somewhere around 0.7.

Just think of a hurricane and the energy it unleashes - we are a long way from harnessing that.

Sorry, but IMO we are definitely not a 0.7 :stuck_out_tongue: More like 0.5. We’re still stuck in chemical energy - coal, petrol, wood - and we could have moved on so much more quickly if the oil industry hadn’t crushed other developments over the last 100 years. Electric cars have been around for almost as long as internal combustion, and yet they’ve periodically appeared and disappeared. Strike anyone else as odd? I mean, think of how quickly computers and electronics have developed, even over the last ten years. We could be so much further along…
…sorry, I get worked up about this kind of thing :o I think we’re still far off from actually using what resources we have in an efficient way. Setting stuff on fire is so pre-history :wink:

Anyway, the reason I mentioned nuclear power was that I had a section from Isaac Asimov’s original Foundation trilogy stuck in my head, where the guy slices a thick metal sheet in half with a nuclear blade the size of an exacto-knife (or something close to that size, I can’t remember). It mentions several times in the trilogy that because the Foundation had almost no metals to work with, they had to figure out how to efficiently use what they had while miniaturizing the technology :slight_smile: Thus, in just a hundred-or-so years they had vastly surpassed the technology of the many-thousand-year-old Galactic Empire.

i was gonna upload some donkey that had a BMX logo on its nose for fun but it couldnt be uploaded it was some invalid file or something.:(:(:(:(:(:frowning:

BMW X8
Probablility - Medium.
An X8 is possible if it follows the same philosophy as the X6 and forthcoming X4 by being based on the equivalent model. Given the success of the X6 , an X8 is certainly an interesting proposition, however this car could actually be re-invented within the BMWi brand as the BMW i6 which is undergoing conception in Munich. i6 is effectively an SAC utilising the BMWi design language which in some cases , it can be mistaken for a raised and detail enhanced i8.

the source of this information is on the German car forum(GCF).
Anyway this is the concept for X8 :eyebrowlift: it looks like the back is tilted abit compared to X6

As you’ll prolly see the concept for X8 (backpart) it looks a bit more ‘tilted’ than X6.

PS: i can already imagine your essay response,lol. @ phillippe.M

Attachments

@M3Gamer - sounds like an epic combo :yes: (The X-series is one of the few SUV designs I like)

LOL, what can I say, I tend to babble :o

Anyway, I just found this:

I haven’t watched it with sound yet, but the visuals are epic and hilarious (everything’s made of driving-related objects). And it’s an Audi. (ermahgerd, moar Guurmurnn cuuuurrrrzzzz!)

EDIT - just spotted one of these parked on the street:

…looks like someone took an A3 and a Subaru Forester/Outback and mixed them half-way. I like it! :slight_smile: