arcade vehicle driving game

Looks great, you might want to take a look at my shadow script and put one under the car - http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=162125

Looks good! If I may suggest it, you might want to add a shadow the car with my shadow system - Non-GLSL Realtime Shadows In Blender.

Thanks for the feedback and assistance! Progress is currently being made on the city block - buildings under construction! I will update the game on Saturday.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I might not have made it absolutely clear at the start of the thread, but this game only works correctly on Blender 2.48. There will be serious physics errors and minor graphical problems if you try to use 2.49.

JESUSFRK: I hope this solves the handling problem.

Update! http://rapidshare.com/files/262391799/car_major.zip A building, new foliage and not much else.

A view of the new building and parking lot.

Front view of the same building.

A large panarama shot of my game so far.
VenomSeven: Thanks for the link. I’ll probably use the foliage textures in my game.
skykooler: The shadow only works properly on flat surfaces, and my game has a lot of slopes. I am interested in the handling and steering code of your demo however…

Fruity Plaza woot!
Looks great man Keep up the good work

New update, so a new link!
I’ve cleaned up the map a bit, altered the handling (not finished) and added more objects. It should work on Blender 2.49 now, but it still works best on 2.48.

The city block layout has been completed, and a new building has been added (WIP).

Main Intersection complete!

A highway sign has been created, and the bridge has been modified.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! GREAT textures! Realistic looks! This could mean competetion for Need For Speed :wink: Awesome game! Keep it up!

-ShingWanTin

ShingWanTin: Thanks! It’s great to hear some feedback, especially positive feedback!:DBut is it really competition for Need for Speed?

Skykooler and non-GLSL people: The next update (next Saturday) will have non-GLSL support, so more people can play the game. Unfortunately, the conversion isn’t working too well - the graphics are a bit weird.

Lastly, Micah 702 mentioned that the road texture could be improved. If anyone has a ashphelt textue (approx 512 x 512) and is willing to share, it would be much appreciated!

Updates include:

Motel improved; nearly finished!

New cliff section (WIP)

A view of the entire map so far!

By the way, if anybody knows how to record the local x, y and z velocities of an object using python, could you post the code? I need this in order to integrate car damage into the game.
(But don’t get excited, the car damage system takes a long time to set up).

New link, new map segments, don’t delay, download today!

Modifications to existing terrain, to improve visuals and reduce maximum view-distance.

New road expansion.

An improved landing platform for the cliff-to-drain-ramp.

Additionally, this begins my second week without replies. Was it something I said, is the thread getting old, or did I forget to hit un-mute? :frowning:
Feedback would be great, even critical feedback would be good! (Finding out the faults of the game is very useful). :wink:
Just in case the previous post is forgotten in the mists of time, I still need someone to tell me how to record the local x, y, and z velocities of my car.
Cheers!

Wow man, the car physics are much much better then the last game(s) i’ve played! Great work!

But you need a better camera position!!! You can’t see where your going.

Really good use of the built in vehicle simulation in Bullet, this is looking to be a very nice game once the map is a bit more complete.

Also, nice work at using more python and less bricks for the main logic.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Cyborg Dragon: I’m trying my best with Python, but I’m still a n00b in that regard.
JESUSFRK14: This isn’t the first time you mentioned the camera. As far as I can tell, the position of the camera is fine. Could you send me a screenshot of where you want the camera positioned? That way I can attempt to fix the problem. Cheers!

Also, I want to crit on something too.

The acceleration button has to be let go if you want to go off the ramp near the start position, I think hitting steep ramps like that while accelerating and wiping out instead may be one of the weaknesses of the built in vehicle simulation.

the game looks great cant wait to play it but please next time you post such a great game dont post it in rapidshare. i dont have an account there and it takes me 50 seconds to wait before i actually start downloading):

Sorry about the lack of upload this week - I was sick. Will post update at the regular time on Saturday.
Cyborg Dragon: I noticed the dodgey ramp problem too, but I’m not quite sure why the car acts the way it does. Perhaps if I change the slope it will fix the problem? (Looking into it)
sistonia: If my game is truly great, you shouldn’t mind waiting 50 seconds before downloading!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! GREAT textures! Realistic looks! This could mean competetion for Need For Speed Awesome game! Keep it up!

um no.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/028/nfs_shift413_screen.jpg

It’s good for a homebrew project. 3* from me, pretty good. :slight_smile:

peace,
-nick

Thanks! Seriously!:yes:
Alright new update (been 2 weeks coming)

New Highway T-Intersection

Chinese restaurant (aka New ramp)

Drain system has been extended!
Cyborg Dragon: The ramp has been modified along with the underside of the car’s physics box; - the car should stop crashing into the ramp now. (Or at least reduce the chance of this happening).
I’ll spend this week meshing out the t-intersection’s surroundings and adding more foliage.
Please post me for any more problems (I may not be able to solve them, but I’ll try) Cheers!

New update. Enjoy the changes!

A broken bridge to jump across.

City slowly being attached to the grid. (WIP)

Current progress meshing the T-intersection (WIP)

Other changes include:

• A movable camera (Rotate Left with A or Num4, Rotate Right with D or Num6), which should solve the camera view issues.
  • New dirt texture, that looks a lot better.
  • Dirt roads have been changed, but there are texture problems at intersections (ignore those for now).
  • Palm trees changed and more types of foliage have been included (WIP).
    Any issues, feel free to post :yes:.

Weekly update, here’s the changes that have been made:

The t-intersection is just about complete.

Alternate angle viewing the underside of the t-intersection.

More destructable physics objects, that now regenerate! (Slightly glitchy).
In addition to this, the suspension and physics of the car have been improved, so the car will no longer crash into ramps whilst going up them, and is less likely to bounce upon a heavy landing (about a 20% risk of bouncing or flipping upon impact).
And another thing, this is my third week without a reply. Please post; it’s uncool to be talking to myself.

i love everything, except the car model. that is what will be seen nearly all the way through your game, so it needs the most detail(same with fps games and guns).