Are there any active, non-authoritarian blender communities out there?

I’ve been looking around for an active, democratic community that I can look for help and expect speedy replies, note that reddit and stackexchange are two of the most authoritarian sites on the internet so neither of those are a fit, the official blender chat and official blender forums are ghost towns, and here on blenderartists, very few are helping users and there’s minimal activity here in general compared to what I’ve seen from this site 1 or 2 years ago, so could somebody point me to an active blender support community where my first amendment rights matter? thanks in advance

edit: after looking under the everything tab I found out I was wrong as hell about this site, but nobody seems to care about a novice like me

I like to think this site is quite friendly and welcoming, and it’s extremely active, but you only posted your questions earlier today. Be patient, this is a forum, questions take a while to answer

3 Likes

friendly and welcoming for sure, though extremely would be an overstatement on the topic of activity due to all the threads that go without replies, ntm several threads posted after me got 2-3 replies in less than an hour each

ig people help with the advanced things too much to care enough about the trivials

Maybe your questions are more complicated and harder to answer than some that have gotten answers (they are), and don’t forget, you have actually gotten replies. I know because I made one of them :slight_smile: just, maybe, take a deep breath and see what happens tomorrow or the next day

2 Likes

thank you for taking initiative, that means the world to me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

the main reason why I’m in a rush rn is because I have a request that I promised to get done by tomorrow

however I can’t help but appreciate friendly communities like this regardless

edit: I misunderstood what you meant by replying to my question, but hopefully someone will see this and backtrack in my topic history and provide me with assistance. and I misunderstood that misunderstanding, didn’t realize that was you who replied to my first thread

Hi, maybe you post a link to a post where your question was not answered in our forum.

Cheers, mib

Hair particles rendering at a limited range? - Support / Particles and Physics Simulations - Blender Artists Community

This is the site you are looking for, but if you Google your question you will also find stack exchange comes up often along with you tube.

I almost never post here unless google search does not work.

Then search here for your topic.

Then post.

1 Like

I don’t think so, I’ve seen a couple communities far more active than BA, that being stackexchange and the smutbase discord server, stackexchange, as I’ve said before, is redditor extremism, while smutbase is about as apathetic as BA. with the rate responses are here, I’d rather migrate to another community where I can expect people to actually reply and in less than an hour tops, while freedom of speech has more than an inkling of relevance, but not to an anarchist extent like smutbase

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

you do realize the mods can see your edit history

I love free speech too. Here’s some:
wantnow

3 Likes

you do realize you and obsurveyor are gonna get warned at least for saying that here, right? also, 1A doesn’t protect against peace disrupting speech like that

@joseph can you handle these two?

This may be a waste of my time, but here’s some general advice:

People are happy to help, but they hate demands thrust upon them.
People generally don’t like doing your job for you
People like answering direct questions, not sifting through a mishmash of complaints and opinions
People are generally uncomfortable with NSFW stuff.

So to recap:

Try asking nicely without making it a hassle to help you
If you bit off more than you can chew, that’s a you problem
Practice identifying the issue and clearly explaining it.
Find ways to reframe your issue that don’t involve sexualizing pokemon.

7 Likes

People can say whatever they want, generally speaking, we’re in not the business of censorship. I’m sorry you don’t agree with the opinions being expressed here, I don’t agree with your opinion that BA is unhelpful and inactive, but we’re all adults here and we’re allowed to have opinions.

We have some rules, sure, but I’m not seeing anything that’s crossing a line here. There’s no personal attacks, nothing is off-topic, and the tone of the replies is equal in intensity to your own replies- I can’t reasonably object to those replies without also including your own.

Maybe it’s time for this discussion to just die off- I don’t think there’s much positive or constructive to be said, and I think it’s bringing out a defensive side in all of us. I’m going to recommend that this thread die naturally. There’s nothing more that needs to be said

4 Likes

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

does that argument look like it fits this criteria to you? especially the boldened things? and explain why and how my arguments are somehow more toxic, I think you’re just defending them because they’re white knighting this site

I like how you’re explaining constructively then proceed to make tiny ad hominum attacks in the final paragraph, I’m a human, and I don’t have the time to wait 24+ hours for a response that doesn’t fix my problems immediately, no human being has, has had nor ever will have unlimited time

also renamon is a digimon :person_facepalming:

I apologize for the digimon error, but I stand by everything else I said. Take what works for you and leave the rest.

Here’s some more, take them or leave them:

Break down an issue into the simplest form. This helps isolate the source of your problem, making it easier to get help while also deepening your understanding of blender.

Make sure you have enough time to complete your project. Especially if it’s something that you aren’t very confident in. Even things I am confident in, I take the time I think it will take to complete the project and double it. You never know what issues you might run into.

Treat people with respect. I’ve landed jobs on this forum based on the person hiring me looking back in my post history to see what I am capable of. He liked what he saw, and I got the gig. What do you think any future clients of yours will think looking at your post history?

2 Likes

there you go again with the loaded question at the end of your post

as for the rest of your argument, I don’t think people wouldnt’ve responded to my other threads telling me what kinds of info you mentioned that I’d need to add if they cared