Audi A3 2011

This looks good. Are you working on 3 different cars at once? It’s hard to tell, but I was looking at the threads you have linked in your signature.

~angel

I tend to bounce between them but I’ve decided that this Audi will get completed first.

More work done today. I have a cracking reference photo of the headlights so that’ll come in handy for when I model all of the extra tidbits.

Attachments

Bit of an update from me regarding this car. The C pillar is the trickiest part of the car IMO to get right, and as you can see I have a thousand edges going up and along the roof. I may leave it like this and shape it using all of those edges, or I may go back to the drawing board and see what I can do to reduce the amount of edges.

Attachments

Mm-hmm, even in my limited experience the C-pillar is a real pain to deal with. The problem/trick is to find which edge-loops to collapse in some way… and it doesn’t always work :stuck_out_tongue: I remember on my Golf GTI, I remodelled that back section three or four times before arriving at it’s current topology (which still sucks)
If I weren’t so picky about quad-only topology, I’d use tris in specific places to cut down on edges, but…

Anyway, even if it is a pain to deal with, it’s looking pretty good to me :slight_smile:

P.S. …how is it you’ve only managed to pin 4 programs to the taskbar? O_o LOL, I’ve got about a dozen, and I keep adding to it :stuck_out_tongue: Also, Chrome & iTunes FTW

The main problem is curving the roof with so many edges because it can be a pain to get rid of bumps, however after discovering the wonders of the Smooth tool it has made it a little easier.

You know…I actually kinda dislike the Smooth tool. It always messes up my topology :stuck_out_tongue: That’s not to say it doesn’t work (it’s been really useful on the Audi) but I find it a bit annoying at times. For instance, I’d like to be able to smooth on a specific axis instead of “Smooth everything!”

Before B-Mesh came along you did have the option of selecting which axis were to be affected, but for some reason that has been removed. :spin:

I’ve just curved the roof area and it seemed easier than I thought, although selecting edge after edge got a bit tedious.

…wait, are we talking about the same Smooth? Or am I talking about Vertex Smooth while you’re referring to Sculpt Smooth? :confused:

Vertex smooth. :slight_smile:

Oh…sorry :o Well I’ll have to check that out in 2.62 - the only real reason I’m using 2.63a is because of vertex slide and multi-edge Edge Slide (both of which I can no longer live without)

Anyway, I’ll stop spamming your thread and let teh updatez resume :wink:

GradeP: it looks great :wink:
Philippe: I can select axis in smooth tool…at the end of the left menu is window toggle editmode…when I select smooth vertex there is
Number of times to smooth the mesh…and there I can select or deselect some axis…
I use builder version…because 2.63 doesn’t work with textures (probably because the graphics card)
(hope that I understand what are you talking about)

The area right next to the back light is not yet finished, because I need to add an extra edge loop to get more control over the shape. I will probably terminate it via the wheel arch.

Blender’s Numerics system can be mind boggling at times. :evilgrin:

Attachments

Haha, I tried using that once, didn’t do me much good as the numbers are often hard to see unless you zoom in with just the right angle :wink:

I started to create a bit of the dash to see how mind boggling (or simple) it would be and it’s turned out to be relatively straight forward (for now). I’ll probably be drawing over my reference photos with a mesh so I know roughly what to do for the rest of the inside of the car.

Attachments

Nice! :yes:

…feel like having a little race to see who can finish their Audi interior first? :eyebrowlift2: LOL, just kidding.

I can not do that

Yeah if you want to. :evilgrin:

There’s so many pieces of the interior to do, and sometimes it’s hard to gauge their size so I think the next step is going to be getting the A pillar trims in place first before continuing with the dash. :cool:

It’s all about practice and viewing a lot of tutorials. It’s taken me four years of practice on and off to be able to produce a (hopefully) high quality car.