Autoremesher open source auto-retopology tool

Well I’ve got the something for you, in case you have ever wondered how many papers there are about Quadrangulation:

And I don’t think this is all of it. A few of them come from 2016, what happened then for people to do more reserch on this topic anyway :thinking:
The method AutoRemesher is currently using is the MIQ which is from is from SIGGRAPH 2009 and the QuadCover method is from 2007, I wonder if there is any library for Quad Meshing that is more recent because I couldn’t find anything.

8 Likes

:flushed::dizzy_face:

I surrender! :grin:

4 Likes

I find it strange how there are this many papers released yet there aren’t that many software packages with a decent Quad Mesher built in, the only ones I can think of are ZBrush and 3DCoat.

Some of these seem to produce patches first which are then filled up by quads (at least that’s what I think) which probably could solve the issue of spiraling edge loops and would work well with hard surface mdoels yet I doubt they have been implemented anywhere. I’m not a developer so I can’t be sure how hard it might be to implement these methods in Blender but they seem to go unnoticed by people.

What are your opinions on this?

3 Likes

Yes, it’s remarkable how few auto-retopo tools are available. I’m also not a developer, but I can imagine that an algorithm such as ZRemesher / Quad Remesher is very complex because of the necessary surface evaluations and many different possible scenarios that have to be solved.

I’m eager to see what Autodesk will soon come up with. Their native auto-retopologizer might surpass the results of ZRemesher / Quad Remesher.

2 Likes

They’re working on their own remesher tool? Do you have the source about this news?

E=mc2 isn’t very complex as a formula, but it was completely beyond most scientists for decades. I think the same goes for (good) retopology.

2 Likes

They’ve had one in Maya for 2 years, officially since 2020 release. The evolved version is currently being developed for Max, under beta. It was showcased a while back on the Max public roadmap(which is why I openly talk about it outside beta) So far, it’s shaping up to be the most advanced auto-topo solution around.

5 Likes

I hope the developer checks out this method for AutoRemesher, it seems to use Quad layouts to generate quad meshes.

One of the issues with AutoRemesher is that there are lots of spiraling edge loops, some which could be prevented if singularities closer to eachother were connected like in this example:
In the examples shown in the paper the quad layouts conect the singularites in a way that is likely to produce less spiraling edge loops.

7 Likes

Nice! Did you tweet this to Jeremy? He’ll surely appreciate the feedback.

4 Likes

Nope, just pointed this paper to him when he mentioned he was going to look at QuadCover as an alternative to MIQ and LibQEx, but didn’t mention the reasons.

4 Likes

Loaded a hand into the latest release and it does not look so good on this one. Are there some command line options that can do a better job maybe?

2 Likes

we need guides for this kind of shape situation…btw i did one remeshing of a hand with quadriflow once, and it turned out better result in the edge flow most of parts, then i just manually fixed the crookedness of the edge flow, and other topology i didn’t like …

2 Likes

Tried remeshind a hand and these are the results I got:
Original Mesh:

Autoremesher:

Quadriflow:

Are you using Autoremesher 1.0.0-alpha.4 set to Better Edge Flow

I would also recommend using close manifold meshes, AutoRemesher deals with those better.

5 Likes

Quadriflow does give better/more stable results than AutoRemesher sometimes.

Autoremesher:________________Quadriflow:

Instead of replacing Quadriflow I think it would be better to give the user the choice between the two remeshers

3 Likes

Better would be improve Quadriflow with Autoremesher algorithms(with different options) when it is good and this way to avoid too much confusion.

4 Likes

Autoremesher uses the MIQ and LibQEx algorithms which are different from Quadriflow, I doubt that will be possible.

After Autoremesher finishes with the Quad Extranction a topology relax operation should be done next, it helps ti cleanup the topology a bit:
Before and after the relax operation:

This is more noticeable around the toes where the topology is jagged.

3 Likes
3 Likes

A promising new version of Autoremesher will be released soon.

6 Likes

MIQ implementation:

New implementation with QuadCover:

The QuadCover method seems to have better edgeflow than the MIQ implementation and as well as less poles in certain areas like the ears

6 Likes