Autoremesher open source auto-retopology tool

Everywhere I look I see a better result than MIQ

1 Like

I am honestly impressed. Look at the ears and the clean looking quad loop at the bottom of the model that follows the edge and compare it to the old method. Looking really good. What is going on with those black spots on the model, btw?

3 Likes

Holes on the mesh, the developer, Jeremy HU, plans on adding some post processing steps such as relax and fill holes to fix these

4 Likes

Seems like Autoremesher will also be able to preserve sharp edges for hard surface models

https://twitter.com/jeremyhu2016/status/1302169546963390464

6 Likes

High hopes to see this become the zremesher version of Blender and being improved even more after that.

6 Likes

I wonder how this method will compare to LibQEx.

10 Likes

I wonder how much faster is Autoremesher now compared to when it used MIQ and LibQEx.

8 Likes

It would be also great if he could find a way to handle symmetry properly without slicing and merging back since that will introduce triangles or ngons here and there.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Intriguing developments though.

4 Likes

I wonder how does Quad Remesher achieve symetry, would mirroring the constraints be enough or is there something else that must be done?

Pablo Dobarro already tried to fix symmetry like this when I originally reported the symmetry problem last year with QuadriFlow, but it didn’t solve the core problem of the symmetry line being very unpredictable with its results.

https://developer.blender.org/T70342

Autoremesher needs its own solution for symmetry remeshing that is not a simple band-aid fix like current QuadriFlow. Quad Remesher/ZRemesher has this solved, so hopefully the dev for Autoremesher can do it as well.

P.S. Those new example images look great considering some of the current limitations. Pretty impressed by how clean some of that hard surface topology looks in several areas. The Suzanne example sure needs work, but it has more to do with the lack a symmetry feature rather than the topology necessarily being bad.

3 Likes

I think Quad Remesher / ZRemesher determines edge loops in a completely different way when symmetry is activated. The edge loops take full advantage of being able to connect via the mirror axis. That’d be the way to go for Autoremesher too.

3 Likes

Seems like Autoremesher is mush faster now:

6 Likes

And in general, when is the next alpha issue?who are known?

2 Likes

This seems to be getting better quickly. It would be a massive upgrade in quality from quadriflow.

7 Likes

Looks like a new version just got released.

14 Likes

It’s giving really good results for organic objects. I tried with faces and it respects mirroring.

6 Likes

@Metin_Seven
Could you please help with another comparison with Zremesher (QuadRemesher)?

If possible with a more complex model (maybe the dragon model).

Thanks a lot. Would really be appreciated.

4 Likes

Sure. Can you provide a screenshot with the dragon model auto-retopologized with Autoremesher? I haven’t got it installed here. Please let me know how many faces the Autoremesher version has, so I can set the same amount in Quad Remesher.

2 Likes

It could be downloaded from here. I haven’t run it myself (yet). It’s the 1.0.0-beta.1 version.

Also, the screenshot provided was not clear. It was run on a slightly earlier version (used for testing) where he had not yet added a relaxing algorithm.

2 Likes