Autoremesher open source auto-retopology tool

Looks promising…

The real question is, will it ever be added into blender? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

:rofl: how did you inserted the text in that funny way?

2 Likes

I tried it.

9 Likes

Thanks!

So Quad Remesher / ZRemesher still has the edge. I already expected that, but Autoremesher is definitely improving.

2 Likes

Sure, once Pablo has finished all anime girl dress brushes in about two years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

My tests.
From my point of view, the latest Autoremesher gives very good results, but even with the Low option, the mesh is a bit dense, has some holes and some poorly defined corners. Quadremesh concentrates the mesh better in the corners and the flow is somewhat better.

Anyway Autoremesh is the best remesh Open Source option by far. We will have to wait for the final version so that at least the holes disappear.

I share the test file. The original model, with subdivisions applied, I did it manually and it was torture. You can do tests with it if you wish.

9 Likes

Nice, thanks for the tests, @rlsl0422 and @wevon !

Very interesting. Looking at the results, Autoremesher sometimes wins from Quad Remesher when it comes to the least amount of five-edged singularities, but Autoremesher has returning problem areas where polygons go berserk, and I agree that the Autoremesher results are too dense. A lower density would make the topology suitable for UV unwrapping and for flexible multiresolution sculpting.

I’ll notify the Autoremesher coder of this topic again, so he can catch up with the feedback.

4 Likes

This file contains five models with different typologies to carry out more tests. If you send him this he can play a little more :sweat_smile:

They are pieces of this model that I will not use anymore, but that took time to make.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’ve notified Autoremesher developer Jeremy Hu of your model availability. :+1:

4 Likes

wevon: just out of boredom, do not know why my mind wanted this shader tone. Just dont know, maybe mass auramigraine(no pain) drove to this as sometime different visual modifications pop into head and gives boost to strange things. I really hope Autoremesher will be developed until it supersedes all others and then it will become ultimate remesher inside Blender out of box.

3 Likes

There are always those who give things a new use :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks. Please, how do their speeds compare?

who doesn’t here? :wink:

6 Likes

With facesets and sharp-marked edges to define the topology :eyes: :eyes:

3 Likes

In the Dust3D blog, it shows that in the parameterization step, the triangular mesh is projected into a grid system similarly to UV unwrapping and the conections are traced

I wonder if you could use face sets to define how the mesh is projected into the grid system (kind of like using the boundaries of the face sets as sems for UV unwrapping) to control the output that Autoremesher gives similarly to how face groups are used to control the output of ZRemesher on this video:

Another thing that I wanted to mention is the remeshing step thaoccurs before the Quad Extraction in which OpenVDB and an algorithm from CGAL are used, which might cause issues for hard surface models or models with sharp edges as Open VDB smooths out sharp edges.

2 Likes

Yes, openvdb is really useful for game mesh high polys, as it gives those nice, big, rounded bevels out of the box, but too blobby for really clean, sharp hard-surface.

3 Likes
14 Likes

It is age of 21 century and hand retopo should become past. Next step by Autoremesher should be intelligent detection of flat areas and automatically reduce quad count on these areas.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Some basic testing (AutoRemesher 1.0.0-beta.1 (version: 1.0.0.6 build: Sep 11 2020 11:57:57)

a sphere topology, useful for checking symmetry and flow. I use this object everytime I test a remesher.

Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 15.37.29

Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 15.37.55

6 Likes