Bake Wrangler - Node based baking tool set

Not loading add-ons was one of those things I always thought seemed like a good idea, but wasn’t sure if it would break something. But there are quite a few add-ons now that cause Blender to fail when run without a main window, so not loading them is the better default action to take I think.

If you can find an example of parts missing I would like to see it… It’s certainly possible if multiple passes are being combined into an image, or multiple objects, that data could be go missing. It’s probably not a bug in the add-on, but rather a problem with memory management and what happens to textures in memory when you run out of memory… I would have to save each texture to a temp file in that case.

1 Like

I’ve now also put the 1.3 version up which is for Blender 3.x ONLY. Though most people probably use that now…

It has some improved performance in 3.x and fixes a few small bugs, not many changes but worth it for the performance increase.

3 Likes

Been using the updated version for a few days and I noticed a possible bug. When I use 32 Bit Float and 16 bit depth values my textures do not have their RGB values baked properly. If I uncheck 32 Bit float the baked RGB values match what I expect (even with 16 bit depth). I also tried manually making 32 Bit image textures and baking to them, and that works as expected, so I’m trying to figure out why using 32 Bit images in Bake Wrangler is causing issues. Any ideas?

In digging around the code, I found that post_color.use_generated_float = solution.format['img_use_float'] is possibly the reason. If I manually make that False in the code than it works as expected (none of the other use_generated_float needed to be changed). Plus I’d imagine that means the actual bake textures are no longer 32-bit.

I’ve also discovered that if I use the Open EXR Multichannel format that this bug does not occur.

Thanks again for such a powerful addon, too!

Hmm, I would say it’s most likely the file format being the issue… If you set the post_color to not use float then it wont have to convert 32bit colours down to whatever the format supports which will give more consistent results visually.

I think if you bake to a 32bit image then save it to a format that doesn’t support 32bit and reload it from the saved file, you should see the same value changes happen…

OpenEXR is one of the few formats that actually supports 32bit channels, so no conversion or compression has happen when you save to that format.

I think that if you could see the image the addon produced before it got saved it would look correct, then after saving to whatever format and loading it the values have been shifted.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the reply!

I could be wrong, but that it works with OpenEXR makes me think that’s what is happening…

Hello
Do you plan an update for python-3.10 (blender-3.2)?

I haven’t looked at Blender 3.2, I assume the python change breaks something?

Hello
Yes, it need debugging.
All works, but baking goes wrong.

What goes wrong? In my quick test I was able to bake Albdeo pass of test object with expected results…?

I’ve got an up to date youtube quick intro video: https://youtu.be/AOYf2T0MlB8

Will try to get some more in depth ones made…

4 Likes

Hello
I prepare simple scene to show baking issue

This is blender-3.2 result

This is blender-2.93 result

This is scene

Hi, is there any way to bake each material ID to a separate channel?

What add-on versions are using? Just a note that blender 2.93 requires you to use addon version 1.2.4, while blender 3.x requires addon version 1.3 as changes to cycles caused a number of settings to become incompatible between versions.

Thanks for the files I will try them out and see what I get!

@Jaydead I’m not totally clear on what you want to do. Do you mean you want to have each material slot get output to a separate file? So you would have obj-slot1.png, obj-slot2.png, etc?

1 Like

No, I want to bake Material slot 1 to channel R, slot 2 to channel G etc.

So basically all faces with given material slot will be baked to a specific channel.

This will then be used as a material ID map in a game engine.

Found a Material ID node, but it will just randomly assign a color by material slot.
I need to be able to specify which slot to bake to which channel.

1.2.3 for both and check 1.3 update for blender-3.2

Ah okay, that’s not really directly supported. Since there can be a lot of materials on an object…

The material ID map should always result in the same color being assigned based on the materials name. The idea is to use that map to separate materials, but given you want to split them into colour channels, I guess they occupy the same UV space and end up on top of each other?

If they aren’t on top of each other you could use the material ID map and compositor to split them into channels. If they are on top of each other then I don’t really think there is a solution…

1 Like

Is AO the only pass that is giving this issue?

The problem I’m seeing is when you have the target also in the scene, it messes it up (which didn’t happen in previous versions of blender for some reason). Which is easy enough to fix…

hi :smiley:
is there a way to bake a grease pencil line into an object ? i can’t figure out a solution

Hello, glad to read!
Look like this bug for AO only
I will test more new version, when it will be ready.