bathroom demo - Blender physics/realtime graphics showcase

here it’s around 20 normal and around 16 with DOF.
specs: dual core laptop 2Ghz with 8600GT mobile and Vista AERO active.

one small request: can you add (maybe with rightclick) a shoot without duck? if we want to hit repeatedly we end having the floor full of ducks…

Hmm…I think my problem would be that GLSL doesn’t work in 2.47…I’ll try playing with the Apricot build.

-Funddevi

EDIT: The Apricot build won’t even open the file without crashing. Computer not quite powerful enough…?

Figured out the graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.

Why do you use Save the file? I mean full screen ads and talking smileys. Dang just attach the blend.

I see now (after downloading), 29Mb…

Nice scene and nice tech demo… but hardly of any reference or benchmark use. Polygon-Count is usually not the bottle neck so if this handles 9k polygons or 10k polygons doesn’t really say anything about real-world situation performance. As you said shadows are the key. You use in this little scene 1 spot light. What resolution I don’t know ( your .blend keeps crashing… most probably a blender problem, whatever ) but I guess 1024 from the look of the demo video. That’s nice but 1 spot with a shadow map doesn’t really stress hardware ( well, good hardware that is… with bad one it’s a different story ). DOF is anyways a post processing shader. The speed hit is constant for all engines using this filter ( since it’s a a full screen shader not afflicted by polygon count ). The hard shadow for the transparent bath cloth is though a show stopper. Overall for sure a good thing but as mentioned: not benchmark worthy. To really test what a game engine is made it would be required to push it to the limits… after all you can’t judge the performance of a porsche on a 30mph speed limit road, can’t you? :wink:

Don’t get me wrong. What goes for scene design, textures ( hence from an artistic point of view ) and the overall look it’s very well done. Nothing to nag there.

Thank you, and thanks for information.

I am using winrar, it has trial version

i dont know what you really mean by a shot without duck… but i forgot to specify Time to “Add object” actuator so ducks would dissapear after few seconds.

i am sorry for inconvenience, i haven`t tried attaching files, ill do it in future…

Thank you,
I did not made this demo for benchmarking purpose, i am planning to make a game in Blender, so this is more like a experiment with new GLSL implementation and physics. Also i have to know the features that eats most performance, so i can optimize it to maximum to run it for majority of GLSL capable PC`s.
Although you can try copying this scene 10 times and run it… well that would be extreme

You don`t say that in real time? Cool
martinsh can do it!!! :cool:

The “duck” was a great touch (I’m thinking back to the PS2/3 rubber ducky demos…Inspiration?). I don’t have a graphics card that can run it, but looking at the youtube video, I would say it’s easily some of the best eye candy to come out of the BGE community.

Great job.

PS: Is it difficult (in general) to make all those textures per material? The graphics look great, but I assume that this kind of art takes considerably more work, right? Also, did you try running this on a *nix system?

I might note that this needs one of the new softbody builds… here’s one that works:
http://www.bulletphysics.com/ftp/pub/test/index.php?dir=blender/&file=blender-2.48-gamesoftbody-preview9.zip

2.47 will NOT work.

2.48 will work, I’m sure, when it’s released.

I’d missed this earlier, but it’s amazing! The artistic design, everything! Great work!

The Duck thingy really reminds me of a certin hitman poster: http://www.netego.dk/wp-content/hitman-toaster-and-duck.jpg

Hi,

I’m new to Blenderartists and just learning about the features of Blender, modelling around, building some animations etc… When I came over this thread, I just thought this is AWESOME, but when I downloaded the .blend, I wasn’t able to even get NEAR that performance of these pics… Maybe I’ve forgotten to set a setting?
It’s running @ 60fps but I don’t get any of the nice textures to see etc… And if I try to throw a duck, it just gets stuck in the air while the socket of this lamp is falling down and rolling out of view…?

Add:
That’s using 2.47, using 2.48 I even can’t open your file :wink:

WTF,
Superwinger

…These are MY probs! :wink: not yours XD

Im using 2.47 RC1 and the demo works fine. Also, in order to get the performance you see in the video you will need probably at least ~2 GB RAM and at least a 8800GT which are about $109 on Newegg. I have that and I get about 200FPS in the demo. @1680x1050 with all filters active and rubber ducks flying around I get about 110 fps

I understand that the video was recorded on similiar hardware I think.

Your graphics card will have to support this GLSL materials in order to display properly.

The first thing is polygon count. You say your scene has around 9k - 10k triangles. 6k - 10k is the polygon budget for a typical player character. HUD-guns tend to be up to 3k - 4k polygons. Therefore your test scene equals a game showing only the main character and possibly a gun in the HUD. Not much isn’t it? NPCs tend to weight in less, maybe 3k - 6k ( not counting in LODing… which I don’t think blender is yet capable of, right? ), depending on the polygon budget. So for a better stress test the polygon count should be increased up by factor 10 ( x-ray engine for example sports ~300k polygons/frame @ 60fps ). This puts stress on the vertex processing pipeline ( vertex limited ).

The second part is fill-rate and that’s where the slow-down starts to kick in. One shadow map of 1024 resolution requires roughly 1M fill-rate. You can then figure out for your card how much you can render of those before you hit the bottle-neck. I don’t know now if blender supports point light shadows but they put quite some stress on fill-rate ( 6x a single spot light for the case of cube-map shadows ). If you want to stress the hardware plug in many spot lights or a couple of point lights. This though shows the limis of your hardware not that much of blender ( unless you want to complete in the how many lights you can display fast )

Also transparent shadow casting would show strength. In this demo I see solid shadows only. Even the curtain casts solid shadow which looks a bit odd. Transparency puts stress on the engine since you need to re-render parts of the scene multiple times ( for each layer ).

Another way to put stress is using mirrors. Since with a mirror the scene is rendered multiple time which duplicates the vertex processing needs without requiring to duplicate or create new geometry.

Another way would be to make a large scene. Here it is very small and clustered on one place. What puts good game engines apart from mediocre ones is how aggressive and efficient they can do scene graphing. It would be interesting to see how blender performs in a for example 5km x 5km outdoor world populated with tall and small vegetation, NPCs, buildings and vehicles. Not a flat plane but lots of mountains and valleys to have roughly 20-25% of geometry visible at all times. This would be a good test for the scene-graphing in blender and would definitely show if this one has the guts or not.

Well~ on my PC blender can handle ~3.2 million triangles @ >60fps. And I’m just using a single 8800GT which releatively cheap for teh power it gives you. If you want raw polygon numbers.

But with shadows and a large scene (that you can see for kilometers at at time) I’d say 800,000k is about what my testing got, with shadows and GLSL active.

cryengine 2 doesnt’ have mirrors you know, and it only hadnles 3 light sources at a time without glitching last i’ve heard. So there isn’t really a single objective standard in which to judge all game engines as you suggest in your post. Even though I do respect your opinion and all that stuff. You do appear to know your stuff. I tip my hat to you!

The rubber ducks need to float in the bathtube with the new implemented FH System :wink:

VERY cool demo.

Carsten

optimized version =)

http://www.savefile.com/files/1833324

optimized version :slight_smile:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1833324

Now I want to go make an FPS!