bathroom demo - Blender physics/realtime graphics showcase

Very impressive!
And the effects are just great!
Thanks for sharing!
!!! :slight_smile:

i dont know what you really mean by a shot without duck… but i forgot to specify Time to “Add object” actuator so ducks would dissapear after few seconds.

I meant just pushing the air, without having any object thrown.

the ducks also seem a bit oversized

again, congratulations!

Thanks for so many replies :slight_smile:

realtime shadows are feature of 2.48 version, but only spotlights cast shadows at the moment. AO is baked in separate UV map using lightmapUV pack.

I had an idea of grabbing and dragging objects like curtain… but havent tried to make it. Yes the ducks are <i>a lot</i> oversized, there was problems with soft-bodies when they are too small, and i could fix that by scaling up the scene a bit, but i dont think that is necessary.

Unfortunatly it’s 1 frame a second in my machine (sometimes less!!!). It’s a p4 2.4ghz, 1 gb ram, and a nvidia fx5700LE. It runs Halflife 2 and Doom 3, why not a smal bathroom in blender? In blender that inefficient? Or is this scene just not build for performance?

I don’t mean to bad mouth Blender or this lovely work, I’m just asking as I would wish to go deeper into the GE. If an external renderer like Crystal Space was used would it speed things up?

Very good (30 f/s) on this maschine:
Win XP x64 Edition
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.66 GHz
2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM

Kind regards
Alain

hummyea…
try unchecking some of GLSL Material Settings like shadows, shaders or extra textures, and see how it runs then…
Although Doom3 runs for me almost the same speed as this demo. It could be differences in GPU architecture

Hey martinsh

would like to say brilliant work.

I would like to ask u how u got the tiles to look so realistic, let alone everything, and if its possible send in a tutorial. Or if u know of any tutorials for the 2.47 version game engine please mention, particularly based on cars and outside enviroment.

I wish I could matinsh… I get this full window without the menus… One thing is for sure blender has non-ituitive menus, you can really mess things up beyond repair… for example how the hell do I pick something else ? i got myself in user preferences and I can’t get out… http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=94477391xy9.jpg … This is my biggest problem with Blender, and it’s why i started to use diferent software, it’s all so confusing and one should never get lost, no mater how powerfull the software is. But the GE is so cool…

sorry, just venting out some frustration with it. Wrong place I know.

Clicked arround and got some menus visible. The rasterizer is whats hogging the resources. it’s up to 98%! what is it?

That’s why I joined blender artists. I had the same problem. Hold Shift+Alt+Spacebar, and you should get the normal menus back.

1. 2.48 hasn’t been released yet, and the latest RC won’t project shadows from spotlights, but it works in your demo.

2. To me, it looks like the AO is realtime. Do you mean the AO is pre baked as a texture, for can you save AO info so it changes in realtime (what’s a "lightmapUV pack?)?

Hmm, it should project shadows in 2.48 RC1

Yes, AO is pre baked. I know, that mpan3 was going to implement Screen space ambient occlusion. Lightmap UV pack is a instant UV map packing tool for baking lightmaps.

You probably downloaded the wrong RC or a ‘broken’ build, YellowLambo.

Hey your bathroom looks amazing and runs at full 60fps for me as well (but then it should since it is an Alienware laptop :wink: )
For those people who aren’t ready to install the new builds yet I created a small runtime of your scene. I’ve noticed that film grain doesn’t work(in the runtime) but everything else does.
Enjoy
http://www.savefile.com/files/1838965

PS. good luck in the contest!

I cant even load this with latest SVN trunk builds… Well, I have rather old machine (AthlonXP 2800+, 1GB mem, Saphire Radeon 2600 Atlantis 256 MB) so maybe that’s the problem. I also use Omega 3.8.421 drivers. I get this: “GPUFrameBuffer: framebuffer incomplete error 36054” Incomplete attachment.

Correction: Version 1.2 loads but just after I uncheck “Load UI”. Also when I enable GSL Materials I see only white room.

That looks fantastic. I can’t actually play it, since I have an ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder VE(7500), which means I can just barely check my email. :stuck_out_tongue: But it’s still a great amount of work you put into it, and the demo video alone pays off.

HI !

I have just downloaded the latest 2.48 and the .blend file and it crashes on launch.
I am on XP 32.
Anyone noticed something similar ?

mee too i tried open with 2.48 final but Blender crashes without messages?

very nice demo. :cool:

The video is used as a sample of the new blender features in a big german news ticker:

It is not craching for me, but it is acting very strange on 2.48 - mostly physics.

whoa… i would never imagine, that this small demo will be so popular :slight_smile:
I think they got this movie from here :wink: :
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-248/

wow martinsh that’s very cool demo! :eek:
on my machine “final 1.2” is running about ~12fps without ducks and about 6fps with many of them shooted out
my configuration is: amd64 3000+, nvidia 6600GT and 1.5GB of RAM, OS:winXP 32bit, Blender 2.48 official release

thanks for this stunning showcase…