bathroom demo - Blender physics/realtime graphics showcase

potska and Gwenouille,

The scene crashes because of the shadows.
Open Blender, goto File > Append > doubleclick the bathroom demo > boubleclick Scene > click on Scene > then on Load Library.

Now select the Scene.001 from the scenes dropdown at the top. Make sure you disable shadows thru Game > GLSL Material Settings > Enable Shadows.
Then select Game > Blender GLSL Materials.

Now you should be able to set the drawmode to Textured without having Blender crash.

Could you please tell me what gfx you both have, and if this workaround works for you?

i have radeon 3870

i’m very proud of you …

Truly amazing work!
I’m D/L-ing the demo now and I’ll let you know how it runs on my system.

The capabilities of Blender never cease to amaze me.

Really top notch work!

but why it can work with player and not with blender, maybe it is bug

Huh, thats interesting. I’ll see what Brecht has to say about this.

Edit: Brecht says that the crash is specific to some gfx, and is therefore hard to debug. :frowning:

Hi…
I can’t really describe what i get:
If I do what you say: apend the “Scene” scene from the the bathroom_final_dof_noise.blend (not the “noise” scene)
I get 3 scenes: The original one (default cube) and 2 new: scene.001 and noise.
I switch to scene.001
If I switch to textured mode i get that.
In Shaded mode that.
If i press P in textured mode I get that.
So I delete the “noise” scene and i get that.

A render gives a normal nice picture.

I haven’t touched the GLSL settings at all and it doesn’t crash.

I have a Q6600 with X1950Pro (Arf… ATI).

Well it doesn’t crash because you did not enable GLSL.
First un-check Enable Shadows under Game > GLSL Material Settings.
Under Game, check Blender GLSL Material.
Now set the Draw type to Textured for your 3d view.

OK… Well it crashes as soon as i check GLSL materials…
Even if Shadows are disabled.

I’ll try some more tests.

Blender player is same code based but it works very very well and fastly.
btw: how i can change player resolution, i cannot change with cursor because it is locked to bathroom view?

Hey try the following:
Select the poster on the wall and the curtain.
Now move them to an empty layer [MKey].
Now hide the layer.
It shouldn’t crash anymore.
I think it has something to do with the rigitbody constraints because if you delete them on those objects it has the same effect. No crash!

You can change the resolution via commandline:

blenderplayer.exe -p left top width height file.blend

Pffffff bloody hell. It still crashes…
I’ve tried deleting both of them, the lamp and the curtain-rings… no changes.
I’ll tell you once i know what the problem is due to.

It took a while to get back here to post my results, so, here ya go!
My system:
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Professional Operating System
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2004MHz Processor Description
RAM: 2048
Display: 1680 x 1050
GPU: GForce 8600GT (512)

And a screenshot of the game info:
http://www.dropfiles.net//files/1679/bathroom_test.jpg

Hope this info helps.
Keep up the fine work!

Hey man this is awsome.
but im kinda having some problems. (soz for being a noob, but I havent used blender in ages and Im kinda out of date)
-firstly i have to append the scene into a different file or else it crashes, and when I go >Game>Blender GLSL Materials it crashes ( this is in Blender RC2.48)
-Im guessing your using the apricot build for the shadows, but i cant seem to get RC2.48 and the apricot bulid working together.
-finally lol, the noise. Do I need a seperate build for that to work.
Please help me, this is great work so far. keep it up.

Cheers :D.
BTW: Sorry to nag but how do you make all of the glsl textures like that, I looked at the material and its got like 5 layers, how do you make the textures and get them to work in BGE.

Thanks alot :D.

very nice, but the performance in blender it really sucks a lot, as someone else said here before… with the same machine you can run much more media (texture, shaders, models, etc…) in other engine than in blender… just to move half of a room (in this case half bathroom) the resources consumption it’s out of logic, even if I switch everything of in GLSL menu the framerates are slower than in any other complete game I ran in my computer, and remember… IT’S JUST A ROOM !!! so imagine what computer do you need to play a game in a proper way with framerates droping…
Hope another project as apricot will push a little further the performance in the game engine,

Good news for ATI users that had a crash when loading the scene.
I managed to pinpoint the source of the bug and brecht fixed it in SVN Rev. 17095

Since i dont feel like compiling SVN right now but still want you guys to enjoy this fine demo i created a fixed version of the demo. I hope Martinsh doesn’t mind when i share it with you. Note that you should not enable ShowPivot on any RigidBody Joint Constraint!

BTW the demo runs with constant 60 FPS on 1280x1024 here, thought its jerking from time to time but i doubt thats an FPS/renderpower issue, rather jerky mouse input.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/492/bathroomqs0.th.jpghttp://img78.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

ATI HD 2600 XT
1.5 Gig RAM
3,06 GHz P4

Hey Foom i downloaded your fix, and it doesnt jam of blender GLSL materials anymore but the textures dont work, plzzzzz help i got a pic below, BTW if anyone can help with thoughs questions I said above, thanks.

Cheers :smiley:

Attachments

@ foom:no success here: it still crashes the same way.
I can’t open it directly, and the crash happens when i append the scene.

Do I need a particular XP version: I have SP2, probably not up to date.
My video drivers are fairly recent. I only installed the drivers themselves, not the full Catalyst control center thing.

Maybe I should try to build latest svn and try.

EDIT: and of course I can’t build SVN anymore. All of a sudden that doesn’t work anymore…
I’think I’ll definitely switch to linux, buy a MAc or do a 12 months “Crashcourse : from noob to IT GURU”

My demo is really acting strange on 2.48 x68 version, ill try it on 32 bit version… ant that last picture looks like someone has vertex colored it :confused:

Rusty246: You are not using the proper Blender version. 2.48 is out since a couple of days.
Gwenouille: Same?