Beginning Work on Full-Length 3D Animated Movie

FlyingGuy
I would volunteer to animate and render it.
I am guessing the specs of renders would be 640 times 480 pixels
30frames per sec. Lenght would have to be desided.
File transfer would be a problem though, unless appropriate codec
could be figured out by you or someone. I think Enriq766 would have
answer for that. For a project of mine i am using for codec indeo video5.1
with minimum compression and if i remember correctly i used it ones for 15 min lenght 2d animation movie, it worked well in that or was the codec
intel video r 3.2 or something like that.

Oh and also could we have a look at maybe a little portfolio (doesent have to be to flash)

A. No

B. A LONG time but I’m fine with that. I’m only 15 so I have much time ahead of me :stuck_out_tongue:

C. No - But it’s getting there.

OK I’ll let you know when I’m done with my 1st animation

Oh and also could we have a look at maybe a little portfolio (doesent have to be to flash)

Nope cause I don’t have one currently.

All that said, you guys probably think I’m an idiot to try and do this - think what you want; I WILL achieve my dream.

FG

Nobody said anything about idiot.
A little overambitious perhaps…

It’s fine to dream big, but start small. Once you’ve done your shout animation, you’ll have a better idea of what’s involved.

One problem is that there’s more than just the modelling, texturing and animation, you also have to consider things like project management and rendering.

I wish you the best of luck, I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

http://www.blenderprojects.com/crosswalk/tobefiled/projector.blend

I was thinking that maybe we should support projects like these…

Sure they may not ever get done 100%, but the learning process of what it takes TO make a movie should be encouraged. Because one day, one of these projects will get done, and that will take blender and its users to a whole nother world. Better than 10,000 people posting models we have seen 1,000 times before(swords, space ships, heads, robots) It would be great to model something that actually got used in something besides posted on your mothers Fridge with her cute bunny magnets.

Encourage dont DIScourage.

I too am also creating a movie. I have made a few other really short movies and 5 min movies. This one is all on Blender and I am, for the sake of Computer speed, am going for cartoony characters almost like the incredibles (BUT not really). Today I was working on getting the clothing to move realisticly, using softbodies on the clothing and having it bounce off the inner body, any hints would be greatly accepted.
If youre move does eventually work, I would love to see it. Wish you some luck (I am going to need all I can get)

We are supporting him…it’s called devil’s advocate. In the real world he can be your best friend. :slight_smile:
I definitely encourage people to create everything they can, BUT at the same time most of these types of posts (in all the 3d forums) involve someone that isn’t at the proper skill level to start such a big project. And ask others to basically create everything for them…and make sure it’s hyper realistic…yeah right, it takes 300+ of the top 3d people to create most of the things you see in the theaters. and it takes them years…

Why wouldn’t a skilled 3d’er just make something of his own?
LOL, because he knows how big of a mountain that is. Most make short animations that show off their skills so hopefully a recruiter might think he is good enough for a team, that will complete a project.

Research is a must in animation. Everything should be outlined and finalized before others should be involved. There has to be deadlines or the project will fall on it’s face. :stuck_out_tongue:

RUSTBOY - made by one man
KILLER BEAN - made by one man
ALIEN SONG - made by one man

hmm a pattern I see…Yeah, the most successful 3d animations of independent style…majority made by one man,why?
Because he didn’t need anyone else. And his vision could be realized that way.

I think collaboration is great but I got to know who I’m collaborating with. Portfolio of some sort is a must (hell even one render that makes me say WOW would work, but there aren’t that many WOW’s out there).

As I said in my earlier post…Good Luck I do wish you the best in your efforts, and please don’t take the C&C’s so harsh, the only Idiots are the ones that DON’T try…

cheers::bc

And the ones that do not think realistically. I am willing to make a bet that ye topic poster has yet to even pick up a book on short film animation.

You cannot expect experienced people to join a leader with no skills nor experience, more than likely the only helpers to join will be amateurs (to put it harshly).

A lot of these posts, not all, I find to be a call for attention. Most people that embark on such projects with no experience, I find are just trying to get publicity and somehow be apart of something.

Now I am sure you do not realize what most people are talking about, but wait for a year and go around teh corner, and no matter how promising some of these projects sound they are usually shams and you will relate.

Now give it a try, yes, but getting up suddenly and saying you are going to do somthing you have absolutley no experience at is not really trying.

Thanks for the C&Cs guys!

I’m still working on the storyboard and getting my animation skills up to par.

Also, I’m trying to find a good free host until I have the dough to get a domain. If anyone knows a good one with the following, I’d appreaciate it (you don’t have to go out of your way looking for one - just if you can think of any)

1. Lot of space and bandwidth
  2. No ads
  3. Capable of having a forum such a Invision Power Board or phpBB2 (would be nice to have cPanel with Fanastico)

If that’s asking too much, sorry. Just thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Thanks!
FG

HELP!

I’m trying to animation that Blender Cam. but for some reason, it’s going wacko.

I have it pointing at the cam straight. Then I go to the 90th frame, and turn the cam 90 degrees. I’ve entered keyframes at both of them, but when I go back to frame 1, the camera is all distorted and weird looking. Could it be the type of keyframe? I did some animating earlier and didn’t have any problems, but now today, I can’t seem to figure it out!!! (I know what you’re think - “And he’s going to make a movie!!?!?!?”)

Anyways, thanks if you can help!
FG

Wow, if everyone donated their short animations, you could have a full length movie of, er, short animations.

I would like to help out on these animation projects. I have been procrastinating (sorry Enriq766, I havn’t contributed anything yet, but I will). I got so many of my own projects going on (besides Blender), all I want to do is create a mesh or model or something. Give me a small piece of the project and I can do that.

Flying guy One thing you need to do to the projector is select all of its parts and parent them to an empty and then animate the empty. Empty should be put to the middle of the cam from up view point, not inside the
projector beacause then it would be difficult to select.
There are other ways to do the animation, but i recommend this.
Good Luck!

Well, thanks to a couple of you, I’ve gotten my production company’s logo finished. Now, I will continue with the storyboard.

http://media.putfile.com/Cobos-Productions-Intro

Also, this will be sold when it is finished. So, if you are giving me anything that is copyrighted, you need to fix that.

With that in mind, is the projector copyrighted or may I use it?

Thanks for the help so far!
FG

take his words for it lol he has quite a few people for making a short :wink:

your movies sound interesting :smiley:

On my computer, the animation does not show in Firefox or IE.
Also, this might be of some interest to you:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50568&

Does this work…

http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?userid=45779&currentDate=20051123&currentTime=144758

What models do you need?

I was thinking that maybe we should support projects like these…

Sure they may not ever get done 100%, but the learning process of what it takes TO make a movie should be encouraged. Because one day, one of these projects will get done, and that will take blender and its users to a whole nother world. Better than 10,000 people posting models we have seen 1,000 times before(swords, space ships, heads, robots) It would be great to model something that actually got used in something besides posted on your mothers Fridge with her cute bunny magnets.

Absolutely. My participation in the Crosswalk project saw my modelling skills develop at an astounding rate over a matter of weeks. Suddenly I was going back to the docs to see how to …[fill in undeveloped blender skill]… and it all began to make sense. I would never have modelled a padlock or surfboard or packet of chewing gum just for the hell of it , but thank’s to Enriq having the guts to embark on an ambitious project - I did that and much more.

Even just the fact that you begin dealing one to one with people with particular strengths is worth the effort of getting involved.

So what if it dies? So what if it gets finished but is a miserable failure? If it’s your job, then those things matter but if it’s your hobby or passion, it may be heartbreaking but at least you did it.

When the Crosswalk project was hacked it was a great disappointment to all involved but I think every one of us learned a lot in the months we worked together and there’s still hope for it yet… and there’s still a lot for us all to learn.

Hell, I’m as cynical as they come so I can understand people saying “it’ll never happen” and listing all the reasons why - but I don’t think contributing is compulsory, so if you feel it would be a waste of your time, don’t contribute.

Constructive criticism along the way would be appreciated I’m sure.

My only advice early on (if it hasn’t been said already) is to work out a style along with your script and story board. Be prepared for long, long waits if you want a full-featured Pixar/Star Wars style quality - some of their SINGLE frames take hours and hours and hours to render on some of the best equipment around!

If you don’t have a style guide - you’ll get hundreds of models made by people who like everything from Star Wars to Shrek, The Simpsons, South Park and so on. It may be difficult to say “no” to people when you haven’t stipulated specifically what you’re after. Even if you just say “I want it to look like [movie of choice]____”

AND MAKE SURE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT EVERY POLY COUNTS!!!
Before you know it, you’ll have a scene filled with hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of polys and people are going to want to be able to upload and download it to do their bit.

I would also recommend an animatic - a low poly block-out of major scenes or even the entire movie. If you make this in 3D based on your storyboard, you can quickly and easily confirm or adjust lighting angles, camera angles, pans, zooms, cuts etc. Then when you come to animate, you only have to animate once (hopefully).

Disclaimer: No, I haven’t produced a movie or even a tiny animated short. I have storyboarded TV ads (live action) and worked on them throughout production. I perform in amateur theatre (where we also block-out scenes before getting too bogged down in final production). I’m a fine artist - where once again, minor details are far less important than the overall “big picture”. I’ve seen enough “behind the scenes” documentaries to know that the storyboard is next to God.

EDIT:
As this appears to be a commercial endeavour (the movie is to be sold) I probably won’t contribute much/any free time to it. If it’s an open movie, like Enriq’s Crosswalk, I’ll follow along with great interest and help where I can. That said, I may help out for the glory if it looks promising :wink:

Wow AndyD, thanks man. The crosswalk is back btw, We are relaunching the website The day after thanksgiving. I am in the process of getting all the Screenshots ready.

On the topic of this post, AndyD said everything I would have said. I would take it very serious if you hope to get far.

(Wanna know a secret…I am on Chapter 3 of my new book…“So you wanna make a 3D short, A beginners guide and A Refrence for the rest of us” Should be done in a few weeks. I may post the first few chapters for you to read FlyingGuy, and for any other new users thinking about making a movie.)

EDIT

Its funny most of the points you hit on I already wrote in the Book/Guide

EDIT AGAIN

here is the offical post

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55146

It’s awesome that you have such ambitious goals. When you are young it’s great to have this sort of direction and drive in your life. It will ensure that you shape your knowledge toward something you really want to do. That being said, don’t make this the only thing you are good at. You still need all the other skills you get it school to fall back on if you fall short of your dreams.

Just a few comments on your production company spot from a Joe Public point of view:

First, IMHO, this little “logo” is the most important sequence of frames. It is the first thing people see, and maybe the only thing that people remember that represents your company, so it has to be some of your best work. Think the Pixar desk lamp.

Next, the spinning camera idea is neat, but the animation needs some help. When something is moving quickly there must be some motion blur. If you don’t have motion blur, the segment looks choppy.

Finally, what material is the camera supposed to be made of? It looks sort of like that fake rock paint that was popular in the late 80’s, but it’s on a 70’s style projector. To me it looks like you took a nice model, and changed the texture to … well, it doesn’t look as good as it could.

Best of Luck!