Behemoth-class Terran Battlecruiser(starcraft) WIP

If its hotmail… its. .bit bad place to send stuff. But i sent you pm.

All right, I sent it to you. Happy blending :slight_smile:

Well, looks like this scene won’t see any more develomepent in terms of modelling, considering that my comp can barely take this(p4 3ghz, 1gb ddr400 ram). I will look into the textures and lightning now(esp. the textures…) and maybe I will add some smoke effects…
P.S. For those of you who’re wondering why there are no lights and stuff like that - tried to make an apocalyptic setting of sorts. The concept included a downed cruiser too, but as I said before, my comp can’t take it.

Okay i fooled about 30min with your model and came up with this. Its bit dramatic and all… might be tad too dark too…

But this was my vision of the ship… :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

Hmm… is this a backlight setup? Otherwise, you’re WAY better than me in terms of lightning… Did you change the material of the ship? I’m asking you this because it looks far more realistic than before…
P.S. Any suggestions for improvements?

Well… um… I wouldnt depend too much on raytracing first of all. :slight_smile: … Because that one does not have any of it. Secondly i can send you the .blend if you want.

I changed the textures a bit. but basicly its the same ship but just differend lighting.

That’d be most appreciated :slight_smile: I’m atm experimenting with a no-raytrace back spotlight, however, it’s not even close to what you made…

Where can i send the .blend?

Well, did you delete my mail? If not, it’s the same adress(Spirit…)

Ok. Check your mail in few minutes.

Woah… looks like I gotta learn a LOT more still :smiley:
Anyways, HUGE THANKS!

No problem, I love to help talented modellers if i can… your model looked so nice that it thought that if i give you some … uh… well i guess “pro tips”, you can evolve to truly great artist.

Thanks again :slight_smile: Now atleast I’ve got a motivation :slight_smile:
P.S. Any ideas what’s the problem with the bumpmaps on the wings and the other large parts of the model? Size or something like that?

Well… texturing isnt one of my strong traits i am afraid. So i think its better that i dont suggest much on that regard, as its under learning for me too.

Allright then, I guess I will just replace the tex on the big parts with a simmilar normalmap :slight_smile: Anyways, planning to take a 1-2 days rest… then maybe I’ll pick up the wraith or the sci vessel… dunno really :slight_smile:

Or maybe design of your own… :wink: I always prefer them.

Allright then, I might have something in mind…

Made some headway in a good normal map for rolled/forged metal. Started off with a plane. Subdivided it and did some sculpting. Took a texture that was composed of many parallel strokes and blurred it along the grain lines. Applied it to displacement, created the normal map, and then put it on a plane. I then added a light dash of color cloud texture to the normals to break up the cleanliness and used a musgrave to cause some wander in the sheen. The darker one is without the other textures. I think I like it better.

Think I’ll have to do some compositing to get a nice brushed aluminum look. Not sure yet. Not that you need brushed aluminum on your Terran Battlecruiser:D

Using this kind of technique, you can get a bit of directional roughness in the metal and use differences in anisitropy to create the panel boundaries to stand out just enough.

Attachments

Kind of decided to play around with the model a little just before I go to bed… changed the materials and beveled the whole ship. Results? Over 150K polys and… well, here’s the render (HD WARNING):

Pretty good. With the sunset scene, it’s hard to determine the space ship’s shape. the picture is also very unbalanced. You’ve got one complex shape in the left and the sun is not defined enough to be considered a shape. One way to fix this is to add 2 or 3 (three is the magic number) to create a triangle that “circles” the center of the picture.

Here, this should help. This isn’t the best arrangement, but it should give you an idea of using the rule of thirds. The red dots represent space ships.

The model itself is extremely solid work there. Good job.

peace,
-nick

Attachments