Behind the Scenes: Spaceweld's Garage

Hello fellow Blender users,

Over the past couple of years I was making a show for someone else. I decided to take the knowledge and make a show I’m passionate about. I’ll be posting WIPs, renders and animations here to document my progress.

The show is about a boy learning to be a spaceship and robot mechanic by apprenticing in his father’s workshop. The boy is assisted by a small robot and a knowledgeable “smartwatch”.

I finished the interior of this repair shop this week. Here is a video documenting my progress.

After I finished this set, I decided to do a little test animation of the robot arm.

If you’re working on your own projects and have questions, feel free to ask. I’m always happy to help another creative.

31 Likes

Great job… im excited to see more work on the project. There isnt enough good kid shows out there right now… shows now dont teach kids good work ethic and morality. I hope your project raises the bar.

3 Likes

Thank you! I hope I can meet those expectations. As a parent, I find myself feeling the same way. Which is one of the reasons for making this.

My goal is to teach creative problem solving. The characters will have problems with no clear way to solve them.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear there are other creators who feel the same way. That is one of my goals too. I think the project will be amazing. Good luck to you. Blessings.

2 Likes

So great work!:heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

The best of luck for your project, it looks awesome and I love the concept!

1 Like

This is really inspiring. I’m on the brink of doing my first rigged entities, and this just makes me wanna jump right in

1 Like

Thank you! That means a lot. I can tell you from experience, just dive in. At the beginning of this post I mentioned that I worked on another show. When I was asked to do the project, I had never worked on a show. I had never really made a finished character before. I said yes though, and then got to work figuring it out.
I had a pretty tight deadline, but In the end I made 24 characters, 10 sets and animated over 40 minutes.
The company that hired me liked what I did so much, they gave me another season, this time with more money and time to make it higher quality.
[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2rlA2_xeKc&list=PLepPV87XGYO6pMXVFeC1RluDAcuKY3sSF&index=7&pp=iAQB](https://Mighty Man series link)

Just remember, it doesn’t have to be perfect, you just have to finish it. Good luck with your project.

2 Likes

Holy Cow, not bad! Thanks again for the encouraging words and pointers :slight_smile:

I’ve been working on the main character of the show, but I’ll make it and think that it’s not quite what I want for the show. AI has been a great help to me in developing my ideas quicker.

I started with the blue guy on the bottom, then made started making the kid on the top right. Neither were good enough for me. Ultimately I want to make the show feel like it’s stop motion.
Here are the models that I made:

One thing that I’ve learned during my career is to not get too attached to something you’re working on. I do like both of these models and they were a fair amount of work to make, but ultimately, I don’t want to use either of them for my project.

I’m still undecided on what I want the main character to look like, but there is another character that I wanted to create for sure.
Here’s the AI concept:

And here’s my progress of that model:

2 Likes

I made a little more progress on this character. I’m using Substance Painter 2019 (before Adobe took over) to texture him.

The hair took some time to figure out. I hadn’t used the new hair system and my initial results were terrible.
I recommend the tutorials by PixelicaCG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwoc-4dfEk

2 Likes

Been doing some tests. Which of these do you like best?

1 Like

I like the middle one

1 Like

I’m still working out the visual style of this character. Here are 3 more options. What are your thoughts on these? Do any of these stand out, or do you like the designs above better?

1 Like

I think the middle one best matches the environment’s style

1 Like

I think I’ve finalized my decision.

I toned down the strength of the normals on the blue and pink areas.
I also changed the color of the jump suit to be less saturated.

1 Like

Updated to 4.0. This is a comparison of Filmic and Agx.

1 Like

WIP of the main character.

I’m sure struggling with the hair. I’ve really only dealt with geometry hair until now.
I’m trying to get hair that looks like this:

1 Like

I think I finally understand Blender’s hair system. I’ll be creating some documentation on what I learned.

1 Like