Best way to do this figure?

Hi im failing to do this figure… i could do it but i want to do real clean low poly modeling 😃

whats the best way to Archive the head and the eye part (marked red) ???

i tried to extrude a few areas inside and used subsurface modiefier but it looks not good… i need sharper edges… i think its done with bevel but i cant get it to work… any help would be great…thx

“Best” depends on several things, main one being end-use – do you intend this for a game? Rigging/animation? That includes facial expression? Just practicing? If so, what are you practicing? You said low-poly, are you trying to keep this below a specific number? If so, what is it? You said “clean”, that often (but not always) means “good” all-quads topology (no poles less than 3 or greater than 5, no poles on creased, tightly curved, or transition-between-flat-&-curved areas, loops follow function, even-as-feasible polygon distribution, etc) – has some particular challenges with that face, especially if you’re trying to keep the polycount low.

In your last topic there were some vids recommended, the one about making the fox character seems like what you’re looking for here, but isn’t useful topology for a lot of purposes. What’s your goal?

1 Like

Retopology would seem to be the way to go IMO.

1 Like

If you want to have it low poly, you will probably get the best result from baking from a high poly mesh. Having that inset for the eyes and around the eyes looks “high” poly to me.

For a clean inset you could do a knife projection

and then clean up vertices that make the topology messy and do a few insets

Mark the border edges for the bevel and add these modifiers

Then repeat for the eyes :slight_smile:

1 Like

If that’s a sculpt and that’s what they want to practice, yeah – that brings up the question @DRC_GRAPIX : is that a sculpt? Or a simpler mesh using a clay matcap? If the later, would you please post a screenshot of the topology, or the blend?

1 Like

It doesn’t need to be a sculpt for retopology. It looks like a compound object to me.

1 Like

thats the way im going for thx… still not sure about the first picture but i wll google now :smiley:

1 Like

i want to use it for 3d print and animation … i think when doiung the model its alwalys best to keep it low poly as ur details allow it…
this model is not sculpted its all done with modeling…u right its using a clay metacap LOL good eye haha
i want to learn modeling first. once i can model i can use sculpting for the basics…

idk why but when using just sculpting the topology is too much for my simple styled characterss… :smiley:

ok i understood knife projection but now my next problem is hohw do i clean the verticies by hand:D

1 Like

You can select one and press Ctrl+x to dissolve it or
Enable auto merge and slide vertices with g+g to one end

Sometimes I select 3 vertices and use ‘merge at center’ to get an average position. You would want to keep the original round shape as much as possible. I think you can get a grasp If you compare the first and second picture I made :slight_smile: