Better FBX Importer & Exporter Add-on

Hello,
Thank you for your answer !
Oki for the modifiers I understand.

Well I have to use custom properties in my project because I can then process automatically some actions based on theses properties in Unity

For my needs, I also need to bake only necesssary keys.
Right now I’m trying to adapt the original exporter but it’s funky ^^

I understand you have to focus on some other features. I stay tunned :wink:

Hey does it provide same mesh triangulation as autodesk fbx?
Also applying modifiers is very important

How do you people deal with the fact that this addon is unable to export actions as separate animations and merges them all into one clip on export?
What is your workflow when working with game engines and fbx files with a couple dozen animations each?

Hi,

I’m the author of the add-on.

You can import multiple FBX files in the coming v4.0, just like you can do in Blender’s built-in FBX importer.

To add a ‘Triangulate’ option is also easy to implement.

But to export multiple actions to a single FBX file has encountered some problems, such as how to bake animation correctly, how to filter invalid animation takes, how to switch animation takes in the NLA editor, I can’t find a good solution so far.

1 Like

Version 4.0 is ready.

You can import multiple files to the scene and export multiple actions to a single file now.

Cheers!

2 Likes

There seems to be a lot of problems with getting the right bones to roll.
It doesn’t matter which option I will choose, both sides ( _L and _R) will be affected as one.

Hi @meshonline
I’ve download the latest 4.17 version and using it on 2.92 blender.
While I was trying to import a mesh from Maya using the plugin(I’ve checked import normal).
I find that the mesh has a different hard edeges marked from Maya , but the normal looks alright so I thought it’s just a different way of interpreting mesh normal.

But I also tried blender native import FBX the hard edge looks same as in maya .
(they really do have the same mesh normal when they are aligned together )

So here comes the question.

1. Was this way of interpreting mesh normal intended to match all kind of source mesh normal
    or is it a bug ?

2. If it is intended to design in this way , Is it possible to add blender’'s native FBX Normal interpretation as an import/export option ? So we can have a better reading for hard edges ,while keeping all the goods that addon can do.

1 Like

The add-on always re-calculates sharp edges, so it looks different from that of the built-in importer, I’ll see if I can use the original information in the FBX file to get the same result.
Thank you for reporting the issue.

1 Like

meshonline, any updates in the works anytime soon? Thanks for this indispensible addon.

Sorry I have been busying on the IK support in the recent weeks, I’ll look into this issue in a few days, I’ll reply you once I find the solution.

2 Likes

I sent a message to you, and attached an experimental script, please test if the issue disappears.

1 Like

After some more deep investigation, I have found that 3ds Max and Maya use different algorithm to calculate hard edges(Smoothing groups), Maya has hard edges per edge, while 3ds Max has hard edges per polygon.
If I use the original hard edges, the sharp edges from Maya will be okay, but the sharp edges from 3ds Max will look different from that of Maya.
So I decide to re-calculate sharp edges from vertex normals and face normals from scratch, so the result may not be as the same as Maya and 3ds Max.

@meshonline there is a bug in the latest better_fbx-2.8-4.1.9 release that sets a keyframe when doing an export on whatever frame the timeline is set to, zeroed out on all channels, if the auto key is turned on before clicking export. Worst part is it puts the keyframe in before the export so it can cause the exported animation to go crazy. It was driving me crazy for a while so I thought I should mention it.

Hi, v4.1.9 does not touch anything about the keyframe and the animation, I guess that all versions have this issue, I’ll try to re-produce the bug, thanks for your reporting the issue.

1 Like

@watercycles I can’t re-produce the bug, could you give me a test file? Thanks.

Here you go. Make sure auto key is on before doing the export.
auto keyframe export problem.blend (273.4 KB)

I have fixed the bug, please navigate to the add-on path, such as:

Then replace the script(exporter.py) with the fixed version.
exporter.py.zip (15.0 KB)

1 Like

I’ve noticed when some skeletons are imported it can be missing bones. For example if I export the free Wukong model from Unreal Engine and try to import with BetterFBX it can be missing some bones. Below is a side by side to show some of the bones missing. There are others that go missing too.

Ideally I’d like to have the skeleton imported and exported so perfectly I would be able to import the model, do some animation on it, then export the animation right back to Unreal and have it work. Right now I import, animate, then have to retarget after I send it back to Unreal. It’s a bit of a hassle. Maybe not possible with all the bone orientations changing so much?

1 Like

Hi, I have been using the add-on for quite some while now for static meshes only, we needed the fbx2018 version and it was working very well in the pipeline. However I needed to do a short animation task recently and exporting my actions, frame range, etc. into Unity did really not work out well. Used the native fbx exporter instead, which actually did a decent job out of the box. Are there any discussions about this? Did anyone else had similar issues? Hope to have the same experience as with the native exporter, importing animations into Unity but would still prefer the Autodesk SDK.

Yep just as I thought , It would be a time saver If there are options for user to pick for their workflow during Import and export ^^.