Bezier curves to new hair?

My usual workflow was to model the guide hairs with curves, then converting them to particle hair. Is there a way to convert curves to the new hair system (and vice versa)?

Yes. You simply have to choose appropriate item in Object > Convert menu.
Just be careful that resolution of a Bezier curve will not be preserved.
You will have to subdivide it or convert it to mesh, before passing from a Curve object to a CurveS object.

2 Likes

Thanks, that worked but its like you said, the resolution gets lost. I tried subdividing the curve but same result, resolution gets lost. Converting a mesh object gives me a “Object has no evaluated curve data” error.
Any ideas?

I was not clear enough.

What I meant is that you convert curve to mesh, then mesh to curve, then curve to curves.
But that is a little bit weird.

You may prefer to subdive bezier spline in edit mode, then convert spline to poly in edit mode, then convert curve to curves in object mode.

And I forgot to mention that there is an unfortunate restriction about resolution.
Currently, when you convert a curve object to an hair curves one, resulting splines are limited to 7 segments.
That is the value by default for newly added curves in sculpt mode, applied to conversion.

A resolution value for conversion would be welcomed.
But currently, we are stuck with curves made of 7 segments.
There is no tool to subdivide them in sculpt mode. There is only ability to control amount of segments for curves added though Add and Density brushes.
To make them, look good, we have to increase amount of additional subdivisions in Curves panel of render properties.

2 Likes

Oh ok, that explains it. I spend hours trying to figure out why i can’t increase that resolution. Thanks for clearing that up.