BGE : Where are the collabrative projects ? Creation of a Wiki?

Let’s Imagine : you make a template so good that people think it’s more easy to use it than modding a game like Half-Life2 . Also, one can imagine that people start to use it to make animations (instead of Source film maker) . Why not ?

1 Like

Oh no, I’m fine imagining. Really easily.

Do?

Yes, i will do with my fighting game.

1 Like

Are you making your fighting game with Python or logic bricks?

I wish you luck then.

On my end, I have been trying to get just feedback on some libraries, with as stretch goal to see contributions, but people really don’t care:

I put everything on github, am on Discord and the forums for any question, but people really aren’t bothered. Not an issue, just an observation.

What are the most popular threads? Contraversies and pretty images. When the time comes to write the actual game logic, the projects usually stall and stop. Blender is good by default at asset creation, logic is painful to make using the BGE (but not impossible, just harder than other runtimes).

1 Like

That’s the tragedy … Visitors land on a webpage which doesnt has more appeal than the official documentation of a HP printer. In a first glance i have absolutely no idea who the webpage is about. Well, you know what i mean… I’m too lazy to get into it . Like most people.

Illustrating the issue: GitLab is a collaboration tool, so if like most people you cannot be bothered to dive into it, that again illustrates the issue.

I did link the BA thread I wrote to explain everything, that didn’t help people get into it.

I use the Logic bricks like the skeleton of my project. Python is the meat. :ok_hand:
With a game with lots of animations, Python is required if you dont want to end up with 1000’s logical bricks .

1 Like

But … Github just doesnt make me want to collaborate :smiley: . I want pictures, I want diagrams . I just want to read something like a wiki page to know what we are talking about :smiley:

Yup, one has to butter everything for people to swallow without using their teeths, and that work isn’t easy to do either! Documenting everything extensively is quite a burden, slows down development and hits motivation. Adding comments in the code is one thing, but making diagrams and everything, that’s something that I wouldn’t usually enjoy doing on my free time.

People get paid to do that you know :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I hope I’ll be paid with :+1: , :heart: and :writing_hand:

1 Like

I wish you success.

1 Like

once, i did try to make a project that was well documented. no one used that either, and it was lots of work. not to mention trying to make several example projects along too. i have a hard enough time trying work on my own project.

https://github.com/DaedalusMDW/bge_keymapper_class/wiki

and it seems the only ones interested in this thread are the few who use bge, which all have your own projects.

so no, dont expect any updates from me. the bge is dead.

Ever worked fourteen hours a day? It’s stressful.

I used github as host for certain projects inclding reusable parts that can be used at other BGE projects. It comes with source code management, issues tracking and a wiki for documentation. The bigest benefit is it is easy to deliver to others or add new team members. There are other hoters that provide similar collaboration tools. So it is not the the only fish in the sea.

In the past i tried to find out how it feels when working with a losely coupled team, with really low communication and very different BGE skills. This was the “add-a-thing” experiment. How can anyone contribute to a project. It was pretty interesting.and got quite a few iterations. It still needed a lot of maintanance, but was (in my eyes) a big success. The collaboration was (how borring) the old BA forum. It showed it is possible.

We still have the team projects forum, but I can’t tell how ghood that works as collaboration tool. I guess it is better than mailing :slight_smile: .

1 Like

A wiki engine has forum and chat possibilities too. Also possible to format a documention page with pictures, diagrams and even videos.

But once again, im wonderring if BGE fans are really interested into pushing foward a solid FPS template to make a last ovation for BGE. Or do people really only interested into making something alone ?

There’s is 5 very good things with the project of making a wiki of a solid FPS template:

• put all the sh*it together ( sorry for the word, but so true hahah) connect all the modules done by many people.
  • give a REAL help for beginners : documentation + what you see is what you get … -> Didactic tool
  • give to all blender artists the possibility to include their art into a game … kinda interactive mode !!
  • a very well designed template could be considered like a new BGE, no ? State of the art.
  • learning from the project.

I mean, so many people on Blender, BGE so unexploited …

1 Like

Also, its impossible to attract newbies if one doesnt simply show them what BGE can simply do. This is a very good start (even if it seems very low frame rate)

I like the basic direction of the thread and would like to leave a few thoughts to the second topic (Wiki) here. The main reason to me is quite simple:

Relevant Information which is…
a) too widely spread and
b) not very well structured.

From my perspective: In case I wanted to learn about the BGE, I usually ended up either on:

1. Benders User Manual (not much content)

2. Youtube Tutorials (outdated, time consuming)

3. this forum (flat hierarchy, dead links, good stuff hidden in wall of text)

4. websites created by enthusiasts (potentially outdated)

5. https://blender.stackexchange.com (helpful later, but not as a start)

I have put in brackets what I found as drawbacks in the respective sources. Along the way, I have tried to compile a list of links myself to come back to specific problems later, which basically looks like this:

The keywords on the left are actually the structure which a potential good wiki (or this forum, years ago) should look like in my opinion. Looking into the Unity Forum or Unreal Forum, a more granular content structure is common. However, the link-list has a lot of dead ones unfortunately since the forum moved to Discord.

In case you want to have a look or extend, here is it: BGE_overview_1_0.odt (42.4 KB) or as PDF here: BGE_overview_1_0.pdf (141.7 KB) Some of you might find themselves in there :slight_smile:

Just imagine, if all the energy people put into creation of articles, videos, posts in the above list would be collected (moderated of course) very close to the official documentation.

Let’s just assume there is an interactive mode somewhere on the horizon. Wouldn’t it be nice if we (the BGE community) could contribute some lessons learned?

4 Likes

That’s a great list! Any chance you could upload it somewhere? I can see some topics in there that I’ve been meaning to try out for ages.

There’s a new web page for UPBGE that was created, since the old website went down.

It will need a lot of love, time to start clean :slight_smile:

upbge.org now points to https://github.com/UPBGE/UPBGE-Web/tree/gh-pages.

1 Like