BGMC 23: Tell a story | Announcement!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I really feel like it should be more than just 10% considering how much emphasis was put on the tell a story theme :confused:

I think that a scale like this would reflect the challenge better:

• Gameplay Experience (30%)
  • Graphical Quality (25%)
  • Sound Design (15%)
  • Theme Adherence (30%)

I’ve created a BGMC facebook group in an attempt to keep people updated about future BGMC’s.

Good point, but we have to balance gameplay with story (we don’t just want cutscenes).
How well a game has incorporated story is hard to judge, it could range from ‘includes a story’ to ‘tells meaningful story’ both of which could be perceived as good theme adherence.

That being said I can appreciate that some stories will be more meaningful and engaging, so I’ll add an additional 5% to Theme adherence where this reflects story quality.

The new Judging criteria will be:

• Gameplay Experience (45%)
  • Sound Design (15%)
  • Theme Adherence (15%)
  • Sound Design (15%)
  • Theme Adherence (15%)

it should be

• Gameplay Experience (30%)
  • Graphical Quality (10%)
  • Sound Design (10%)
  • Theme Adherence (50%)

you make a bgmc with a theme, so theme should count heaviest.
you make a game according to that theme.
you need to make a game with the set theme else no bgmc.

so 15% of theme while everything depends on it is silly.

sound : same as theme? lol i can make tons of sounds with my mouth while playing (pang pang pew pewww boom) so why is it the same as theme?

you want to play a game and follow a story/theme. so why you put theme that low i dunno.
above setup should give you great themed games with actual gameplay. not a box running around making sounds and be in high def quality.

in short gameplay + theme makes a game, not the sounds or looks.

Adherence literally means “how well did they stick to the theme”. If the theme was “Cube” somebody could just have a default scene with a cube in it and immediately get 50%.
No graphics, no sound, no gameplay, and their score would still be 2.5/5. See the problem?

You need to ask yourself the root question:
What is a game?
Most people will say a game = gameplay
Hence the high percentage on gameplay.

Next question is:
What gives a game a good first impression?
Most people won’t admit it, but graphics will give the best first impression. This is why hyper realistic and stylized games are very popular and spike high interest compared to visually dull games. When was the last time you got excited for a game made out of cubes (without textures)?
Hence the percentage on graphics

Next question:
How do you immerse the player?
Sound is the extra dimension that gives a game its depth. Without sound games lack character and immersion. If you pay attention to your surrounds and each individual sound you are hearing you will soon realize the basic building blocks of an immersive environment.

Next question:
Why did I add more to theme adherence?
Because in this case some stories can be better told than others. This is the only reason. It won’t be the determining factor, because we don’t want cutscenes with no gameplay.

No professional game is made without sounds, graphics or gameplay. All are essential. Graphics draw the user in, gameplay keeps them playing and sound immerses them in the game. Theme adherence should probably be less than 15% but I can appreciate good story telling.

There will be no additional changes to judging criteria.

I agree with the scoring being

• Sound Design (15%)
  • Theme Adherence (15%)

because a good game is not just a story. It must involve other aspects to stay fun.

Dammit, I still have an essay and two CS assignments due for next week.

I have like 5% of a game done hahaha

Hopefully, next time BGMC can conveniently be over my reading week or something :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that a game can also stay interesting without engaging gameplay, but if it tells a great story. Think about “gone home”. It isa great game that should have a 15/10 if it were in this contest, bit with the ruling set, it would propably achieve way less points, because it simply has almost no gameplay at all.
So games that tell an interactive story which is great, but has minimal gameplay, will be valued less than games that tell a boring story but deliver on the gameplay side. That is exactly the reason why on the market, we have so many bland shooters like COD but way too few games with great and original stories.
Sorry for the rant :smiley:

But Gone Home has good gameplay, and the level (house) design is really smart.

At no point does Gone Home tell you the story through cutscenes or 300 page books. You’re the one looking for notes, finding clues and making sense of the story - that’s the gameplay element. You’re the one figuring it all out.

It’s different from, say, watching a movie where you do nothing and watch (it’s not bad or boring to watch movies, it’s just a different medium).

We are entering the last 25 hour stretch! If you haven’t already, it would be good to think about finishing up your game and starting to cleanup/optimize. If you don’t have sound, you should probably consider doing that soon as well.

I’m working on the story content now. If your story is text based, i.e. written on notes that the player collects during the game, I think it’s a good idea to twitterize your story, break it down in to chunks of 140 characters or less if you want players to be able to enjoy it without getting bogged down.
Don’t give them multi page blocks of text to scroll through…

To everyone submitting a game:

Please mention the engine you used and the version (e.g. Blender v2.77).
This will make sure people can actually play the game without having compatibility issues.

Including the engine will not count to the file size right? :smiley:

Finished!!!

I finished, my game was made with upbge. 0.1.0

If I get time in before the timer runs out I will update with a little more content.
(making a system capable of telling a story through game play was tough but I learned alot)

I meant just mention which engine you built it in (e.g. UPBGE, BF BGE 2.77 etc.) :wink:
You don’t need to provide the actual engine.

Still 4 hours to go!

Looking forward to all the great entries :smiley:

My game requirments bumped up to upbge 0.1.2*

(instancing and depth transparency)

Also made the logic quite down a bit and the physics

Looks like it should run on slower comps but idk.

Please provide an exported version as well, so people don’t have to download UPBGE to play.

I think akira_san removed all compatibility issues can you or someone test?

Should run in bge 2.78b now or whatever you have*