BGMC 34 planning/discussion

I realized I never threw in my idea for the competition.

Theme: future but magical
Mechanic: platformer

1 Like

Im in!

My Theme suggestions (although mine never make the list i try anyway)

Transcendence, advanced mentality, time paradox, planes of existence/non-existence, state of consciousness, edge of space, beyond/before PPF (present, past, future), forever vs never

Mechanic: to suggest a mechanic of any kind to these themes would be a challenge but may also limit the themes themselves.

1 Like

If you could cut the list down to one or two that would help, so the poll is not massive (save the other ones for future competitions, they all look like cool ideas)

I am excited to see you game!

Yeah, I think that mechanics should not be used in game jams along with themes, unless the theme is a mechanic itself. It would limit severely the variety of games made. A good reference is the Ludum Dare and its themes.

1 Like

I would say there is some benefit to having a mechanic and some benefits to not having a mechanic. I believe last competition one of the votes on mechanic was to not have a mechanic included, so I will keep mechanic open if people want to suggest one, but we will limit it by popular demand in the vote.

1 Like

Itā€™s just a way to narrow down on possibilities so you can think up something quick. Guidelines, if you will. And a lot of the time they donā€™t really translate very well to actual gameplay because they were just thought out to sound cool, interesting, hip or ā€œinnovativeā€, that term developers use to refer to concepts that have been around since the DOS era.

What would you recommend to help with that issue? It was a more recent suggestion in BGMC and I personally like the challenge of thinking through how I could make a game under those standards. Though I see now that this challenge might put some people off of joining the competition.

Would it help if we had 3 days of planning instead of 1?

Also I believe in the last competition that it was the vote by popular demand to not include a mechanic. So unless I see more support here in the discussion to remove the mechanic completely, then removing the mechanic will remain solely as an option on the mechanic vote.

On a different note, I think that the competition would be best starting January 31st and going to February 7th. Starting the morning of the 31st and ending on the 7th at the end of the day (in your respective timezone).

Then I hope to have the game pack up by the 9th, with the voting starting on the 8th. This aspect will all be based on my schedule though because I donā€™t know how insane my homework is going to be that week.

Theme and mechanic voting will begin on the 23rd (of January) and end on either the 28th or 30th depending on further discussions held here.

Thank you everyone for your participation so far! I really appreciate all the help! And have a great day!
Fredstash

p.s. If there is not numerous issues with the start date by the end of the day I will post all of this information on discord as soon as I can.

1 Like

Hard limit for suggestions; one wacky idea per user and thatā€™s it. Encourages people to think it through before they post fifteen random things that are likely undoable. Plus itā€™d be just one big theme vote which is less confussing.

Also optional, but anything thatā€™s open world, crafting, realism and survival Iā€™d just ban outright. Itā€™s seven days not an eternity in early access for Christā€™s sake.

1 Like

Now that I am looking at it there are a lot of suggestions from just a couple people, so instead of limiting it, I will pick and choose 1 or 2 from everyones suggestions that I think sound fun and then we can vote.

So if someone has specific ones they really want then they can cut out the fluff, but if they donā€™t care so much Iā€™ll do my host things and choose what I like best :slight_smile:

Overall, this will allow for lots of ideas to flow, but limit suggestions to either me to choosing what will be included in the vote per person, or people can cut down their own suggestions to what they want in the vote.

Thank you for your insights it does help a lot

2 Likes

Poll is a poll to pick 1 or multiple from. So you should include every idea, or never have asked for an ideaā€¦ if you choose the ideas for the poll anyway. Remember you won last bgmc so you can totally make up an mechanic/theme you want, you donā€™t need to ask others for it.

Thatā€™s one of the privileges of being the winner.

1 Like

Aye, I remember one time the host just decided on adventure games and everybody was cool with it. This wasā€¦ wait, let me checkā€¦ BGMC 28 I think, so like three years ago. Gosh, my stuff looks just as cheap now as it did back then.

The joys of being host :slight_smile: Iā€™ll probably just look through this forum and pick and choose some from everyone and make the vote that way. I figure since there is a different host every time itā€™s going to be different every time, so if people donā€™t like the way I handle it someone else will be in charge next time. I think basically everything is planned and in motion.

If anyone else has any suggestions to throw into the voting I am excited to get all of this up and running and to see everyones games.

1 Like

Could I suggest linking blend files in submission, not only exes because some of us donā€™t do this on windows and we canā€™t properly vote if we canā€™t play the games.

4 Likes

You made great stuff :ok_hand: Seriously. And again, apologies for the rough feed-back I gave to all at BGMC 31 :sweat_smile:

It appears that i missed the jam again didnā€™t i

Actually not, it will happen late this month/early february, according to this post from @fredstash .

Yep that is the plan! Iā€™m excited to see your game @Saddy_Panda, if you have time to participate!

Btw, I think the voting is going to go up until the 30th (so it will end the 30th as soon as I get up to end it :slight_smile: ) since no one said they wanted it earlier.

3 days of planning would suit me better as this will be my first game. I will be using only blender, and also only logic gates! canā€™t wait

Iā€™m excited that you are going to be in the competition! It will probably end up being more like 2 days of planning, iā€™ll end the vote late on the 28th and then everyone will have 29-30th to plan and then start working on the 31st :slight_smile:

I think this would be ideal, 3 days seems like a bit much for a week long competition

I look forward to seeing your game

This will be my last call for game themes and mechanics- so if you want, edit your list to your top 1-2 favorites (makes my job easier), or post your ideas. I will start putting together the vote, and I will post that sometime on Saturday :slight_smile:

Good luck everyone! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Fredstash

3 Likes