Big-eyed dude - based on cartoon

I think this is probably the first Blender project I’ve done that has actually worked quite well! Probably because I started with concept sketches this time…

Anyway here it is, with one of the concept cartoons. I know the mouth looks a bit strange, I’m trying to fix that now. Thanks to the Introducing Character Animation book which inspired me to get back into modelling ;)! Oh yeh and no ears yet!

Attachments

Its difficult to comment on a cartoony image because anything goes.:wink:
If you like it the its good, if you don’t it isn’t:eyebrowlift:
Can you post a wire frame render.

it looks good but isent to my taste.

Thanks - I think :evilgrin:! Just out of interest, why isn’t it to your taste?

Any other criticisms?

Here’s the wire:

Attachments

Now I can see what’s casing the funny effects with your mesh next to the nose. You need More edge loops around the mouth and the edges that come from the side of the nose instead of going round the head should join onto the loops round the mouth. Look at my thread,http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90941
this shows edge loop modelling for a human character, its not very good bit it works as a example. You can use something similar on your modal

It inset to my taste because I prefer realistic/ semi realistic artwork. Nothing wrong with expressing ones thorts though.

What subserf level are you using? Looks like 3 or 4 from the wire frame

My only problem with this is… The model looks almost nothing like that drawing. Work on that.

Yup I’m using Subsurf level 3. I guess I need to learn some more about edge loops! :evilgrin:

Those little red things (hair, I presume) in his nose look just plain gross.

Hehe! Sorry about that, I started off modelling the nose, so I wanted to add something to it :yes:.

I don’t really know how you came to the conclusion that it looks nothing like the original drawing?

Well, the main things are his mouth and his ears. He needs ears… BAD!

Nice model (the best stuff I’ve done was with sculpt mode, and they ended up being huge!)

i agree with bumpy monkey. get rid of the nose hair!

givven up?

I guess he has…

Wow! I totally forgot about this project :o!

I think I may as well finish it off… Latest update is that I’ve taken off the gross nose hairs and put hair on his head instead!

I’m going to focus on adding ears and fixing the edge loops issue now - the mouth looks incredibly dodgy at the moment so I guess once I fix the edge loops I can add lips!

Attachments

Well, after spending pretty much all day trying to fix the edge loops, I think I’ve improved it quite a bit :eyebrowlift:. I also added lips as you can see.

Obviously, quite a lot needs to be improved ;)! I’ve mainly been concentrating on getting the loops right, which I think I’ve more or less got right…

Next thing to do will be to ADD EARS!!! I also need to make the eyebrows and make the eye socket look a bit better. I’m hoping to make a little lip-sync animation when I’m done with all this.

Any C&C is welcome!

No-one got any C&C - is it that good :p?

No-one got any C&C - is it that good ?
No, it’s not. Reason you’ve got no comments is you’re obviously working on the loops
I’ve mainly been concentrating on getting the loops right
and you’ve given us an image where we can’t see the loops!

Put the model in solid draw mode [d >> Shaded solid], edge select mode [ctrl+tab>>Edges], front view[Numpad 1], then take a screen shot of the window [crtl+F3]. Then do the same with a side view [Numpad 3]. Post those.

Ok, ok calm down! As you can see I’ve started modelling the ears as well now, here’s the screenshots you require!

You’ve got some serious topology problems. In the first place, the bottom half of the mesh is way too dense. You could achieve the look you’ve got with one tenth the vertices. Start selecting edge loops (alt+RMB) and deleting them (x>>Edge loops.) As a side benefit, it will be a whole lot easier to sort out the topology when there are fewer vertices to push around.

Cartoon or realistic, doesn’t matter, I’d recommend getting your loops organized as shown above. Main face loop is forehead to jawline, second the loop around the nose down to the chin. Loops around the eyes and mouth.

The space between the loops is filled in with…more loops. This mesh is about 300 vertices. It wouldn’t be too hard to transform it into the big eyed dude with some judicious use of scaling and the proportional editing tool.

Thanks very much for your detailed information!! I think it might be better if I start modelling from scratch again, it’s incredibly hard to edit the mesh, so I might as well start again I think…

Sorry to get your knickers in a knot. I was just trying to help. :smiley:

You’ve made the right decision. You won’t regret it.