Bill Kaulitz: Space Edition (WIP)

Hello everyone, I’m sort of like a beginner 3d modeler. I’m not sure that this title is right for me, but I had to introduce myself somehow. Here is my first project to create a character. Yes, technically, this is the second project, but the first one was too unsuccessful, so I prefer to consider this one as my first.

I spent something about a month (with a little) for this project, but I still haven’t finished. Unfortunately, at the moment I don’t have an ability to continue the project, so I show that i got to this moment. I think this is a very good time for this, because maybe I’ll find criticism and when I finally decide to continue, I will have an awareness of what needs to be done. I can see what needs to be done, but the view from the outside can get me very much help.

Let’s go to the model. This PBR model, which I did as part of creating my first game. Of course, I can’t create the game alone, so I temporarily left this venture, but I decided to finish the character.

Yes, now the model can not be used in games. There is a system of particles, from which I can’t get rid at the moment. Well, and the hair is done with too many polygons.

Yes, hair is a separate topic. Unfortunately, I haven’t managed it well. It look like flakes and I do not know what to do with it yet. The hair looks bad, this is the fact.

As the basis of appearance I took young Bill Kaulitz, the soloist of Tokio Hotel. Yes, the band is contradictory, but I loved them very much when i was younger and, I believe, some nostalgic feelings forced me to use it. I hope it turned out well.

I also made full set of clothes especially for the character, but i think it also needs to be tweaked.

Modeled in Blender, textured in the Substance Painter. Of course, in Blender, I modified the materials a bit with nodes. Rendered in Cycles.

I don’t know why, but i published it to artstation.
Maybe i’ll delete it later. I want to create full description of my project when i’ll finished. I hope someone will interested in this.

2 Likes

will it looks nice to, actually great
, ther are few things i can give criticism on,
but that if you were trying to go for realistic style,
if your idea was to go for a stylized character thin i think its great,

yes ther are some little stuff that should be made beter for eather styles,
the nose is to long and the eyes are to away from eachothers,
it kinda looks like lagrtha from the vikings , "which i dont like her "!!!

the character nearly has a neck, and even so its to thick for a girl,

and finaly her legs are smaller than her uper body, which thy shold at least be at the same size ,

the hair looks amazing , the matearils are nice
i think that all what i can say about it

Thank you for your reply.
The truth is that my character isn’t a girl. It is a boy haha.
Yeah, he looks like a girl, but you can google who Bill Kaulitz is.

Initially i tried to make realistic character, but i think it looks non-realistic, i agree. But i want to fix it in future.

1 Like

oh thats my bad … :sweat_smile:

Hi,your model looks good,it has the likeness from Bill especially the side view render.the cloth and the boots looking nice.if you go for realism then my CC is,the skin shader.the skin looks now more plastic like,you need a better skin texture and using SSS shader for better result.is this rendered with the new hairshader?if not try the new one.and the eyes looking a bit unreal.with better skin and eyes it should give a improvement in realism.

try this eye tutorial,it gives nice results

for skin this could help.

and this for texturing skin

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’ll definitely try it.

Since this section is called “Works in Progress” i think it will be good idea if i will post my progress right in this topic.

I hope you don’t mind if i’ll continue posting? Yeah, maybe my project is strange, but… this is my obsession, i think everyone has it. Anyway.
I decided to start with the face. I need to:

1. Correct the geometry a bit.
  2. Correct the skin material.
  3. Correct eyes.
  4. Correct eyebrows and eyelashes (last looks weird i guess)
  5. Get rig of particles. I use particles for creating hair roots. I really don’t know how to do it properly, but i’ll get it.

I tweaked the skin and eyes a bit. For skin i changed mask for glossiness (i don’t want to use Fresnel for glossiness, i think it gives an ugly result) and added subsurface scattering. I added scale = 0.125, color = base color of skin (image created in SP), normal = normal map (created in SP) and to radius i set base color image mixed with red color (i stole this method from stack exchange).

And what i got.

Well i guess it’s not as bad i thought it will be. But for me it looks weird. I can’t explain why exactly, but…
I think i didn’t set up SSS properly, but to be honest i even have no idea what i did. I’m going to learn more about SSS and skin structure.
UPD: i forgot to say, i watched all the videos above. They are very useful, but they just showed how to do this properly, but didn’t explain WHY they did exactly what they did. Maybe my English is poor and i just didn’t realized it. I’ll rewatch it again (and again).
And i realized that i got strange white line between nose and cheek.
I will compare my result with this image.

hm to me it looks allmost like before,maybe the skin reflection is a bit better.

here you can load textures from a real scanned person,that you can load for the skin making as in the 3rd video.http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/DigitalEmily2/
btw in the second video he used a custom build shader,the video is still good to see and understand the renderings with and without SSS ect.

i would use the method from the 3rd video to make your skin.and as said from the link above, you can load a skin texture from a human scan,for stencil your own tex.

here i have a Emily testrender.Emily Human Project

Maybe it’s something with my eyes, idk. But the renders before feels different for me ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Thanks for the links, but i really want to get skills for creating skin manually. I’m interested in this more than in best result of this project. I’m just studying.
So firstly i’ll try to make everything manually, i think it’s good skills.

Y’know, you could also easily sell me on the idea that "this is a rock-star from the 80’s … (koff, koff!) … who’s wearing too much pancake makup, and doing it on purpose.

When I first saw the tiny thumbnail that appears for this thread on the main forum page, I was immediately intrigued by it, and I think that this says a lot (to your credit). You placed the back-light very well, creating a visual diagonal line that cuts to the character’s left shoulder. The eyes are nice and strong, and well-framed with “more of that makeup,” and the hair looks “deliberately wrong.” The shoulders are nicely and tightly cropped with a highlight on each one, creating an overall triangular formation that feels very balanced.

The other portraits are equally strong – this character immediately catches your eye, and then successfully keeps it. (Can I listen to samples of this person’s album on iTunes?)

Now, go ahead and take it anywhere you wish in the name of “improvement,” but set-aside a copy of exactly what you’ve got so far. “Well done.”

P.S.: I think of this character as a “MS = medium_shot character, no more.” Do the close-up (CU) but avoid the extreme close-up (ECU) altogether. I don’t think he’ll ever look good this way, and hey, “get this dammed camera outta my face, willya!” Let the character wear the “too much pancake” look in proper rock-star peace. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your response. That’s not 80s rock star haha.
This band is not for everyone for some reasons, but you can google it by anyway. They play pop-rock. The band is called Tokio Hotel.
I’m going to go ahead and do it as good as i can.

I’m begging you… Please make it downloadable :sob::sob::sob: