BladeRunner 2049-style City

I’ve been wanting to make a cinematic, BladeRunner 2049-style render for a long, long time. Problem was, I couldn’t condense all my disparate thoughts and ideas into a cohesive vision for a scene.

Fast-forward many months, and quite a few false starts, and I finally ended up with this:

It’s not amazing, but I guess you need to start somewhere. Would love to hear others’ thoughts on how it can be improved.

5 Likes

Sorry to be picky but for me BladeRunner isn’t only equal to dark rainy streets but also neon signs, neon signs and more neon signs in seven different languages :traffic_light: :radioactive: and lots of transparent plastic coats :lab_coat: and umbrellas… :umbrella: and … of course… flying cars… :crazy_face:
:wink:

1 Like

That’s a good start, the composition is interesting !
My first comment would be that it’s hard to tell what where looking at. We can see that there is two buildings in the background , but hard to guess what’s in front of us. Is that important ? you can go without, but giving it more function and clues to the viewer would make it more integrated and believable.

You can add more human scale elements too, tiny details, like very small flying cars near the buildings in the back like Okidoki suggested. These details will add more depth and sense of scale, tiny little things in a giant environment.

And look for real life references to get inspired, you can transpose a lot of detail from reality into your SF image, here are some that I would use :

But other images from big cities like tokyo, hong kong are a great inspiration too.

Good Luck !

2 Likes

You have no idea how hard I facepalmed when you brought up the neon. :joy::joy: Of all the ideas I had, it never really registered with me that neon signs (specifically neon signs in different languages) were something integral to a BladeRunner-y feel.

I’ll see if I can add those flying cars you and @sozap mentioned as well. Kinda wanted to avoid adding people cause that usually adds quite a bit to the render time, but I’ll definitely look into that as well.

Thanks for the feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the advice and the reference pictures! Definitely going to strive to incorporate these things in a future re-render. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cool !
The best way to make something good is to start gathering some references.
There even dedicated software to deal with them; that I recommend you to use : https://www.pureref.com/
And also sites where you can find pictures of the actual movie :
https://film-grab.com/2010/06/23/blade-runner/

From there you can pick some details analyse the mood and incorporate that in your work.
By looking at what append in the real world you’ll get far better results. That doesn’t prevent you from adding your own ideas and do something original !
Good luck !

2 Likes

Hmm film-grab… Interesting for some quick views…
Thanks für this.

1 Like

Yes , I think there are two/three similar websites, but I don’t remember their names.
There is also another one with payed subscription that is quite awesome, they reference image by shot type, colors, and many more tags. Looks very inspirational !

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you! :grin::grin:

1 Like