Blender 2.3 Official Guide

I can see me buying it in March but any plans for an updated version of “The Blender Book”?, that was a fantastic book without which I would never have gotten into 3D of any sort! I bought the online manual too and I haven’t used it as much which is either because I prefer the walk-thru style of the blender book or I prefer the blender books foldable delivery to my brain.

But an updated Blender Book after you’ve re-jigged the manual would be Fan-tabby-dozy.

I guess you have had to wait more than a year from now if you want that!

Ztonzy: still, it would make sense for them to wait to publish the new manual. Especially since the online doc is still being uupdated and to my knowledge, the printed manual is still just a replica of the online doc.

For those who arent going to buy one, I would see no reason for them to pay 40 bucks just to get a hard copy of the free online doc. Besides, that 40 dollars may be wasted, in part, due to the fact that Blender is being updated VERY quickly. The printed may become outdated before it even ships! :wink: (im exagerating slightly, of course)

dante

there are people (like me) who rather read books than onscreen text…which is less nice for the eye…and some like using paper than a digital screen.

So to wait for a manual for Blender 3.0 would probably be around late 2005 or something…very late then…since it takes very long time to start from scratch creating a 3D tool…because Blender 3.0 will be a totally new tool…

So go ahead…moan on :wink: use the online doc, but if you buy the new 2.3 manual you will also support future development for creating Blender 3.0, more money to the Blender Fundation (BF) means faster progress of development, so it is not only bad for your wallet, it means also you will get better tools faster…

but if you dont like this idea…do what you want :wink:

my 2 cents :stuck_out_tongue:

/.Z

:Z

In that case, you can read all the printed (outdated) text you want :wink:

I, as I have said, will buy one. I’m just trying to build a better argument for people to buy the manual.

dante

sure!

buy the new manual and support future development for Blender!

Blender Foundation needs money and support!

AFAIK, the manual is NOT a hard copy of the online docs and is being written especially for this.

Martin

I got my eye out now, I’ll be pre-ordering that dirty little SOB!! :wink:

Does this then mean there will be no on-line documents for 2.3x, and that if we want the full documentation, we will have to buy the manual?

While 30 odd pounds or whatever, may seem like a fair price for some, I am permanently unemployable due to ill health, so am only on a limited amount of money (for the rest of my life), with which I still have to pay household bills etc.

Yes I would love to be able to support the Foundation, but I can not, not will not, I hope there will be On-line documentation as well as the printed version, Blender is very good, but does need instructions on how to use.

Please do not see me as a whiner, or someone looking for free handouts, I am just in a bad situation, and hope one of my main forms of hobby and entertainment will not be stopped due to no intructions.

Ken

No, the online documentation will always be updated, but the content of the 2.3 manual is made especially for it while the online documentation is updated by people on their free time (like the code).

Martin

Phew :slight_smile: Thanks theeth, thats put my mind at rest, back to blending :smiley:

Ken

Theeth: Now thats the kind of reasoning I was looking for! :wink:

Can’t wait to get my dirty little hands on that manual :smiley:

dante

Will this be done for christmas? Id love to put this on my christmas list :slight_smile:

Ton said that hopefully it will be ready to ship last week of December. So while not able to be a physical present to open presently on Christmas, it could find its way to you sooner or later//

The pre-orders have begun. Place 'EM!!

I’ve placed my order, I’m going to pay soon. Too bad I’m number 257, so I won’t get it signed. Oh well, it’s the book that counts (and of course supporting TBF). I hope they’ll be able to get 1000 copies sold before the end of the year.

I just ordered my copy. It ended up coming to slightly under US$50 with shipping - which honestly is the most I have ever spent for a tech book.
But, I greatly prefer paper over screen for reading & the samples pages look beautiful.

Plus, I think it is cool that when you buy one of these manuals you actually know where the money is going: first 500 manuals cover the cost of publishing & everything after that goes to making Blender better.

Even paying $50 a year for a new manual is a way better deal than having to upgrade commercial software!

To everybody making Blender a reality: Thanks!

Does anyone know if the release date is before or after christmas? If it’s after, then about when do we think it will be shipped?

BMD

I wouldnt expect too much about a release before X-mas…more about right after and New Year…

that’s my 2 cents!

/.Z

I got this e-mail today:

Dear Customer,
[…]Your order will be shipped within 1 week and you may
expect it to arrive within 7-14 working days within the EU and
between 16-30 working days to any country outside the EU.[…]

It’s the fourth now, next week it’s the eleventh, plus 7-14 days (for me) makes 18th - 25th.
Sounds very early to me though, maybe it’s a standard mail everybody gets who oreders something at the e-shop and maybe it doesn’t take the fact into acount that the manual isn’t ready yet.

it IS a presales campaign, which means there will be more of it later on, but this will be the first print and might take time, but read the link below, there’s all info about it…and the mail you got is just a standard mail…

read all about it here: